Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedneed an expert opinion....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 08:41
update. After scratching the underseal off, there was not much left and I decided to cut the rotten metal out as good as possible. I didn't really wanted a full blown repair as the car will be stripped anyway but it was just too bad to be left alone.

welded.

all I have to do is to slam some seam sealer on as there are some tiny pin holes in the top corner I was unable to weld watertight. If you can't get the metal really clean there is no chance for a proper weld.

After a few days in the rain I can report that there is no more leaking. On this side
With the carpet now out I found the drivers side to be leaking as well
Some very careful poking with a screw driver revealed almost the same as on the passenger side..........
But I have decided to stop for now. It's really an dashboard and engine out job to fix that somehow.
Let's wait and see what the future brings
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 09:14
Blimey ! You really did cut a chunk out of that car I think you now know why a full strip and rebuild was the way to go on my car. New shell time.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 09:25
Toby informed me that a new firewall is NLA
Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 10:14

Uwe,

Your signature says ".........bought a welder now" but I guess you have used one before. That is a really neat job.

Just for info....

The inner panel that goes from the door aperture to the wheel arch (includes the loudspeaker aperture) is available and costs less than £20 IIRC.

I decided that it was easier to use a part of that panel to get the right shape for the wheel arch, than to make up repair pieces.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 11:25
Originally posted by Lancastrian Lancastrian wrote:

Uwe,

Your signature says ".........bought a welder now" but I guess you have used one before. That is a really neat job.

Just for info....

The inner panel that goes from the door aperture to the wheel arch (includes the loudspeaker aperture) is available and costs less than £20 IIRC.

I decided that it was easier to use a part of that panel to get the right shape for the wheel arch, than to make up repair pieces.

thanks, but it looks nicer on photo than reality.
I haven't really checked what panels are available to improve the quality of the repair. Intentionally I didn't wanted to go that far at the moment. It just happend...... (I am not goint to touch the other side right now)
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 14:21
Uwe, the 'turret panels' are available, as are the chassis rails and the support accross the top of the wing (wheel side)

Also it might be worth buying the Convertable strengthing panels there are 3 of them per side, one most people know which joins the strut top the the inner wing, the other 2 go on here: ( i have already bought these parts, about £50 total for both sides)

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 14:45
I don't believe it will be done with a panel here and there. The whole filewall looks like a Swiss cheese. holes everywhere.
This time it has to be done quite radical to stop it for a few years.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 13:11
Its quite shocking, as Brian said, when you start stripping off the underseal and sealer......its suprising how big holes like that appear from what looked like no problems there.

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 16:10
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Its quite shocking, as Brian said, when you start stripping off the underseal and sealer......its suprising how big holes like that appear from what looked like no problems there.

when I "persuaded" some of the new metal with a hammer from the inside of the car, a whole section of the strenghtener (that y-shaped thing under the fender) just fell out!! And there was no indication before that i was rotten. Like Brian said, just the underseal was holding it in place
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 13:00
I Think i'm going to go and check my car!
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 14:22
Uwe,

That is quite horrible and a reminder to us all of how things might really be under the carpets.

Do you have any racing wellies for track work?
javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')

Kevin
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic