Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRenamed: Thanks for a good meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renamed: Thanks for a good meeting
    Posted: 16-October-2006 at 12:29

2pm Sunday 21 January 2007. Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone. Everybody welcome

Hi All

Thanks to all who came to the Track day as either Drivers, Passengers and most important Helpers.

The meeting will be held as a BMW Car Club (Irish Section) event. In light of recent happenings, lapsed members, future members, forum members are welcome.

The purpose of the meeting would be

• Discuss the role of the BMW Car Club in Ireland
  • Discuss the role of the Bavarian Board forum
  • Plan BMW car related events for 2007
  • General discussion on what a "car club" is for
    • What inputs are expected from members
      • Financial
      • Time
    • What benefits are expected by members
      • Event Insurance
      • Magazine
      • Anything else?
    • What stucture should an Irish organisation have

I hope to begin a healthy debate on the future of BMW car related activities in Ireland, starting here on the forum and concluding with the meeting.

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Sponsored Links

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 12:32

My opening input to the debate.

The BMW Car club has its uses as an organisation with purchasing power for insurance etc.

It provides membership to a BMW AG approved organisation.

The office facilities for managing finances takes pressure away from individuals i.e. it is a company protected by law

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 13:57

I think that a meeting would be a good idea, especially being open to all.

Not to shoot down your above points, but:

Is the insurance aspect relevant to Irish members?

What BMW AG approved organisations does it give access to here?

Again we need to look at promotion, how many new people have joined the forum/club and why, and how many people have laft the forum/club and why.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 14:09

The insurance I refer to is 3rd party that the BMW car club  provides at events such as the track day. Mondello will not allow an event without such insurance in place. I must check what is covered on other non track events.

The BMW Car Club is recognised by BMW AG and as such is allowed to use logo and is invited to factory tours etc.

Thanks Fey! for the reply. The debate has begun

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 14:40

I thought that you meant negotiating a discount with insurance companies!!!  Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, in GB they get a discount in the dealerships, which doesn't apply here.  Why not?

Also, before anyone else gets dug in about it, there's the constant bickering about magazine articles being irrelevant to the Irish region, and the delay in submitted articles being published.

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 14:51
To clear up the insurance thing, once you are a member of the club and you attend any Club organised event you are covered by insurance.

Can I also that Brendan, Killian and myself are working in the background on a couple of things re an Irish club. We are just biding our time on a couple of things to happen.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 15:10

Thanks Eamo

I also know of the couple of things in the background which is one of the reasons I have suggested January for the meeting to give a chance for things to resolve themselves.

Maybe Killian, Brendan and yourself could give a joint statement to this debate.

Fey! good point on the Dealer discounts.

From what I can make all regions and registeres have the same delay on Magazine articles. Sometimes we ourselves are at fault. But there is a big delay on articles being published an article in by the end of October closing date will not be published until December. If someone knows otherwise let this thread know.

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 15:36

A key point in the discussion about the club services has to include the day to day administration of the club, dealing with membership issues, renewals, money, posting information to members, answering queries, etc.  The existing club has a level of acceptance and credability with suppliers and sponsors, etc. too.

Years ago, when they were actually at the races, I was involved in the Jordan Irish Supporters club.  It came about because the official UK club didn't recognize the needs and contribution of the Irish members, etc.  This was especially true when Hilll started driving for them and suddenly the membership numbers in the UK shot through the roof.  They needed to care less about the Irish members simply because they had so many more overall.

The long and the short of that experience was that trying to organize the club, keep up with the administration, organize activities, liaise with Jordan, keep accounts, budget and basically provide some value for money to the members was extremely difficult and most of the work fell on to a small number of people.  Everyone wanted the benefits but finding contributors of time and effort was much more difficult.  In addition, problems of politics and personalities was huge and made things way more difficult. 

If working to try to fix the issues with the club as it stands is a tough task, don't think that an alternative to it is easy.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 18:37

Two points about Mondello and the track days.

When Mondello organize their own track days (next one on the October Bank Holiday) where does the insurance come from? How many people would have to do it to cover ALL the costs?

And, would an Irish BMW club be willing to share with another club for track days? Porsche club maybe? (I know they would also have to willing to share but it could be mutually beneficial).

Also, as a new member to both the forum and Car Club I would be very willing to attend the meeting, discuss things, and help in any way I can.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 18:52
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

When Mondello organize their own track days (next one on the October Bank Holiday) where does the insurance come from?

Quite often the circuit will provide the insurance that you need.
At our Croft trackday I buy the insurance along with the circuit hire.. sure it costs a couple of hundred quid more but I get the peace of mind I am looking for.. especially in the case of someone who has not re-newed and is strictly speaking no longer a paid up member of the organising club.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 12:17

From e-mails and PMs I have been getting Hodson Bay Athlone looks like the popular choice for the meeting on Sunday 21st of January 2007.

Edit 2pm is the time I am proposing

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Dannyirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 12:51

Hi All

Have heard that there is a meet in Galway, Ireland on the 3rd to 5th November. Has anyone details or the itentary for this???

Cheers, Dan

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 13:05
Welcome to the forum Dan.
see Galway/Craggy Island November 4/5th
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Dannyirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 14:49

Tx for that !

Dan

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:39
It looks like we might have a visit from a Club Board member for this meeting, as per post on the club forum.  Now, what did we do to deserve this (and how come they haven't felt it useful to make this a regular thing in the past)?  That should liven things up a bit!
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:45
The word on the grapevine is that the club is funding a room also. The last time I queried this I was told flatly that the club would not cover room hire! I ended up paying it myself IIRC.
1997 E39 523i
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 16:10
viva le revolution!!!
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 19:15

Yes a club director is coming.

Yes a room is booked and being funded by the club.

So lets get to work on an agenda for the meeting

Hodson Bay Hotel near Athlone 2pm Sunday 21 January 2007

That should be convenient for you Eamon

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 23:33
why the dig ger?
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 00:14
Out of curiosity, why have the club decided to send over a committee member given that for several years they showed no interest in the Irish region?

Can non-members attend the meeting?

1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic