Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOT: Procedure regarding speeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
Rockstars get up at the crack of noon..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr1272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT: Procedure regarding speeding
    Posted: 16-October-2006 at 18:55

Chaps,

I have a question.  Can you be prosecuted for speeding if you weren't stopped at the time of the offence, OR, recorded on a speed detection device?  IE, the cops were there, but didnt pull you over, and dont have evidence of any possible offence?

I'm curious if they can fabricate an offence, and then charge you.

Current: Black '00 e46 323 CI auto
Previous: Black '02 Peugeot 206 XSI
www.fairuzamusic.com
www.myspace.com/fairuza
www.DogTrainingIreland.ie

Sponsored Links

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 18:57

There's a few Gardai who are forum members. Don't give them any ideas.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 18:58
Wouldn't have thought so..... don't they have to give you a notice of prosecution?
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
cr1272 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr1272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 19:07
I thought they had to either "pull you over" and give u a ticket, or else provide photographic evidence from the cameras?
www.fairuzamusic.com
www.myspace.com/fairuza

topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 19:14
Can't be prosecuted unless stopped the exception is Gatso and video evidence
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
cr1272 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr1272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 19:18

So in the event that there is no Gatso or video evidence, there can't be any prosecution?

Is there anywhere that that is officially documented?  Thanks Topazman.

www.fairuzamusic.com
www.myspace.com/fairuza

topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 19:50
Nothing documented its just the procedure that is carried out certain offences you have to stop the poor misfortune, you don't have to meet the person for the likes of parking offences etc but ones for penalty points require the personnal touch

Edited by topazman
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 20:26
Think you've been nabbed?

As topazman said, I imagine they'd need some sort of evidence to prove that the person in question was speeding at the time. Afterall, deniability is everything! Otherwise, hypothetically, a Garda could just issue speeding tickets to anyone they don't like.
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 12:52

Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

but ones for penalty points require the personnal touch

So what would happen if the Guard was giving you a ticket and told your there was no penalty points with it, even though you tell him there is?

Then you recieve a fine which is for something completely different and has double the points

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 14:23
You do not have to be spoken to at the scene...

For ordinary stuff (careless driving, speeding without proof etc.) they need to Issue you with a NOTICE OF INTENT TO PROSECUTE within 14 days of the alleged offence. This is where the Guard has not given you a verbal caution "hey sir, I'm a guard, do ya want a beatin'? Ya saw what we did to McB in Donegal. We get away with it because we're tough and thick. I must inform you that you may be prosecuted under s** of the *** Act" etc.

If not, the prosecution is flawed -- but not fatally so, especially if they can "prove" you evaded the serving of it. That actually makes it worse.

There is provision in the legislation for serving it by registered post. If returned (addressee unavailable -- it's STILL not fatally flawed) but you've a good chance. A credible alibi would be helpful here.

Read between the lines... ;)

BMWcare
bmwcare@eircom.net

denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 14:59
Originally posted by bmwcare bmwcare wrote:

For ordinary stuff (careless driving, speeding without proof etc.) they need to Issue you with a NOTICE OF INTENT TO PROSECUTE within 14 days of the alleged offence. This is where the Guard has not given you a verbal caution "hey sir, I'm a guard, do ya want a beatin'? Ya saw what we did to McB in Donegal. We get away with it because we're tough and thick. I must inform you that you may be prosecuted under s** of the *** Act" etc.

WTF?

Holy crap... so you can be caught for speeding (or any other motoring offence) without proof?!?

Does that not strike anyone as being a little dodgy?
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 15:23
Proof is usually the Guards word... usually without question -- most judges are cowardly -- it's their gang ---

They were solrs/barristers and dealt with guards on day to day basis... It stays the same... As they move up the ranks, it becomes Inspectors, Supers, Comissioner, dare I gay it the Minister for Injustice - that plonker McD who has the intelligence of a saviour but the cop on of a sewer rat...

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:14
Last week we got a "speeding fine" / "penalty points" letter in the post... problem is we genuinely dont really know who was driving the car as it could easily have been myself or the wife, the only "evidence" provided is a photo of literally only the number plate of the car.

Do i have any grounds to contest?

Surely I'm not obliged to provide the evidence which can "convict" me in this case??? Surely it should be up to the state to provide the evidence that either my wife or I was the one actually speeding??????????

Any ideas?

Paul
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:22
i do think that either you or your wife will have to take the points on your licence, this happened me before driving the wifes car and a speeding fine came in the post and it turned out i had the car on the day of the speeding and i had to fill in the back of the fine to say i was driving and i got the points!!! i dont think the state can prove who was driving as they normally photo the rear of the car.. its a real bummer!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:24
@luke: isnt that the same as providing the evidence yourself that convicts you?
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:24
I think a guy in the UK got off recently due to that technicality
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by llatsni llatsni wrote:

@luke: isnt that the same as providing the evidence yourself that convicts you?
i suppose it is!!! best of luck with it, let us know how you get on!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 16:38
Challange it all the way Paul. Say 4 or 5 people were driving the car that day. Might work. Other than that give the points to Chloe as a Christmas present. What? Bad idea? You can't buy points so I think it would be a truly original gift. And it won't effect her insurance as much as yours. I know thats mean but what ya gonna do?
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 17:04

"Last week we got a "speeding fine" / "penalty points" letter in the post... problem is we genuinely dont really know who was driving the car as it could easily have been myself or the wife, the only "evidence" provided is a photo of literally only the number plate of the car. "

Is it possible to create a scape goat for such matters, like if you have a relative in england who still has a irish drivers licence or an elderly relative who no longer drives who could take the points? Or would the question of the person being insured on the vehicle come up..

Is a law being broke if proven otherwise?

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 17:16

I can drive other peoples cars on my insurance. If I borrowed a car from someone and they get a fine in the post because I drove past a gatso too fast the owner can blame it on me. But if I refuse to admit to it, or if I say someone else was driving and don't have contact details then what happens?

What if you're selling the car and a prospective buyer takes it for a test drive and gets caught by a gatso?

I think speed checks should only be done by the gardai in person, and a fine/ticket issued to the person in the drivers seat, not necessarily the cars owner.

I also think the obligatory 90 second delay a garda takes before talking to you (you know when they just stare at you like you have just killed 50,000 people, while they pace around the front of the car) is plain daft. This was very funnily re enacted by TJ and TJ on Today FM's Last Word a few weeks back. Fell around laughing. If they catch us speeding ie 94kph in an 80kph zone, they should just walk up and hand us the damn ticket.  

No offense to any Gardai who may read this. I know plenty of Gardai who are all sound, but it seems that only the pricks go out on check points.

Edited by flyingalexf68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic