Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwhite smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white smoke
    Posted: 16-October-2006 at 19:41

i've been noticing that i'm getting a noticable amount of white smoke from the exhaust lately. not at idle, just when revved. does this automatically mean head gasket? it doesn't overheat. is this a big (read: expensive) job. is it a common complaint?

i've had a new lambda sensor fitted recently and it solved the problems i was having with fuel consumption and poor running/ hunting/ emmisions. before the new lambda was fitted i had noticed that it had idled smoothly after being run for a minute or so. now, you can drive it immediately and it idles at a steady rate but seems to be a bit missy sounding. is this just an old car thing or could it be related to the white smoke??

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Sponsored Links

beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 20:33
i've just checked the water level and it's about an inch below the cold mark. i've just thought though. she has been smelling a bit petrolly lately. i was assured that the car was going to be serviced when i got it but having met that geezer, i wouldn't put not bothering past him.
gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 13:48

With the new Lamda sensor BF that will have altered the fuel air mixture. Anytime a new labda is fitted I would recemmend that it is run on a gas analyser to see if any adjustment is required now that the sensor is reading correctly. Is the white smoke like steam? Does it disappear quickly? This could be just moisture as the car heats up, does it disappear once warm? Keep an eye on the oil and water, especially the oil, for mixing (mayo). You could run a compression check to check for cylinder leaks.

Rob 

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic