Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat causes discs to warp...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What causes discs to warp...
    Posted: 21-October-2006 at 14:36

Just that....s'pecialy front's..

Sponsored Links

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 15:21
Often its down to heavy braking/overheating. Occasionally it can be a bad casting of the disc itself, but that is rare. Badly fitted pads can sometimes do damage to a disc, but warping is usually an overheating through excessive heavy braking problem. Fronts get it the most as they are, essentially, taking the weight/momentum of the car when braking heavily.

Edited by Goldryder
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Goldryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 15:28
Incorrectly fitted discs can warp too. If the hub is not cleaned off properly and old brake dust traces and other muck is left behind, that too will make the new discs sit badly and combined with the caliper compensating for the bad seating, it will lead to damage, sometimes warping and scoring can occur.
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 15:35
So mainly heavy braking/overheating.....yip that explain's the last owner then..
Goldryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 15:39
If the previous owner was someone who drove the car hard and left braking til the last minute, that would have placed alot of pressure onto the front discs more than the rear ones, entirely due to the front of the car takes all the weight/forward speed of braking into a bend.

Lead bootitis isn't just associated with speeders in respect to their speed, its also associated with the heavy braking caused by that same speed.
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 15:50
You should see the old one's...there a fekin disgrace..and to top at off, some n o b put new pad's on old discs.

Edited by bm24v
Goldryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 16:06
mmm the classic brake pedal/front of car quiver....I have had that myself before, and sadly replacing pads onto warped or damaged discs is a very common practice.
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 19:14
Sitting with your foot on the brake instead of using the handbrake while stopped at lights etc causes warped discs too, not to mention annoying the poor people behind  
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 20:03

Iv'e allway's did that and never had any problem with warping the discs on any auto Iv'e had (and Iv'e had a few now), as for the poor people behind when the brake light's are on....tuff 5 hit, they can look away, simple.

I know that's that way your taught when driving at first, but how do it now.....!

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 11:58

That's a ridiculous thing to say........

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 13:55

I take it you mean sitting with the brake light's on, dazzling people behind, well nearly everyone I sit behind does this, there's very few that use a h/brake (well where I am).

Btw, I'm NOT the only one that does this, nearly everyone I know does it, maybe they dont realise or maybe they do. I mean if someone's b/light's dazzle me, I just look down, it's not the first time it's happened and wont be the last, it doesn't bother me.

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 14:38
People with high level brake lights can get a bit dazzling - 'sepcially when its raining. But, on the other hand - every one who drives an auto never use the handbrake (well, maybe only a few do). I don't, that's what P is for. If I'm at a level'gated train crossing I'll stick it in Park, but never at traffic lights.

Also, a general comment - please keep the language to an acceptable level, there are younger people reading this. Thanks
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 14:49

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

but never at traffic lights.

Exactly, you keep your foot on the brake like the rest of us..unless (like you say) your sitting at long light's then it's into P.

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 14:52

Also, a general comment - please keep the language to an acceptable level, there are younger people reading this. Thanks

...do you honestly think young people bother about langauge!...aye right...certainly NOT the one's Iv'e heard.

Goldryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 15:00
And when in a manual gearbox, you avoid the brake light dazzle by holding it on the bite...an art that seems to be a little rare these days....

Edited by Goldryder
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 15:09
Originally posted by bm24v bm24v wrote:

...do you honestly think young people bother about langauge!...aye right...certainly NOT the one's Iv'e heard.

True, but they are standing outside the local spar with their chavvy mates hoping one day their future car will be featured on Barryboys SOTW And when they are online, they are either looking at big-boys-weekly.net, spank-my-hoe.com or checking out the bling on the Argos website. This site is too interlectual for them.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 15:46

Originally posted by bm24v bm24v wrote:

True, but they are standing outside the local spar with their chavvy mates hoping one day their future car will be featured on Barryboys SOTW And when they are online, they are either looking at big-boys-weekly.net, spank-my-hoe.com or checking out the bling on the Argos website. This site is too interlectual for them.

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 15:48

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

And when in a manual gearbox, you avoid the brake light dazzle by holding it on the bite...an art that seems to be a little rare these days....

Nope...got it in Nuetral or clutch down and still got foot on brake..dont use the "bite" unless I'm uphill ready to pull away.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 09:01

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

...because it wears out the clutch. Holding it on the biting point is in effect allowing the clutch to slip which will result in accellerated wear of the friction plate. A friend of mine never used the handbrake instead holding the car on the cluch. Within a year he needed a new one.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 19:10
and back to the topic...

Warped discs are caused by an irregular build up of heat.. Thats it, nothing else.

Braking like a hooligan when they are cold causes it because the thin disc bit where the pads bite gets soo much hotter than the thick bit where it bolts on.

When they are properly warmed up to temperature no amount of heavy braking will warp them.

You must also allow them to cool down. Keeping your brake on after they are hot is a sure fire way of creating a localised heat sink area that will cause warping.

We get a lot of guys complaining of brake judder at trackdays.. this is usually pad build up.. the debris from the pads bonding on to the discs.. caused as you may have guessed by getting them too hot too quickly.

Cooking your brakes from cold causes no end of problems. If you like to drive fast and brake hard then respect the metal and let it come up to working temperature first before you start standing it on it's nose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic