Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhere has everyone gone?!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jimbob Jimbob wrote:

Ah, Driving off into the sunset, how romantic!

I'm still about as well, btw.

Next Tuesday is the big day for my six, as it it FINALLY booked in to have the little tiny 14" original wheels swapped for freshly reconned 16" in the same bbs x-spoke pattern. I've gone for very modest tyre sizes, 205 at the front, 225 at the back - but that's still a big change from the 190's all round at the moment.

Rust will be next (isn't it always!)

I think that rim/tyre combination is probably a good choice. It will be a massive upgrade in handling but still maintaining a relatively comfy ride that you lose with larger rims. I put 17" style 5's on my highline with 235/45 all round and I love the look, handling is great (vast improvement over the old metrics obviously), but the ride is harsh especially in London, and the car tramlines quite a bit. With the e12 and chrome bumper e28's, 16's look just right, with the Highline everything below 17's looks too small IMHO

1988 E24 635CSi HIGHLINE ZINNOBER RED - Whitesands Bay, Cornwall
Sponsored Links

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 12:59

you'll have the same wheels as me then. 205 up front and 225 at the back. I was told that 225s would not work at the front of my car as it is an E12 base car (as is yours, no?)

cylinder head rattling is next for me (did the rust last month!)

Jimbob View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 09:51

Ah, Driving off into the sunset, how romantic!

I'm still about as well, btw.

Next Tuesday is the big day for my six, as it it FINALLY booked in to have the little tiny 14" original wheels swapped for freshly reconned 16" in the same bbs x-spoke pattern. I've gone for very modest tyre sizes, 205 at the front, 225 at the back - but that's still a big change from the 190's all round at the moment.

Rust will be next (isn't it always!)

And so says Jimbob.
1981 635csi 81k miles. Will be fixed, but not by me.
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 22:12
Ooops! - sorry it was the starting relay that was replaced. I'm useless at all things electrical but the symptom was the car would start fine when cold, but intermittently fail to start when hot (just a loud click). Jumping pins 11-14 worked because this bypasses the ignition switch/starting relay (???). Quote from the invoice from my mechanic "found voltage low on (7V) crank circuit to gearbox SEM switch, traced for wiring fault/breakdown and found starting relay defective, replace as necessary".

Was quite pleased with the bill - £378 total including all the suspension work (£228 of which was parts) only 3 hours labour.

Unfortunatly I'm working Saturday so will be leaving london about 4pm and will probably have the sun in my eyes for the whole M4 journey!!!!

Edited by mjf297

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:54

it does seem awful quiet on here recently.

just wondering, what does the inhibitor relay do and what was the hot-start issue you fixed with it? And how does jumping 11-14 help you out?

enjoy the bristol trip, leave early and you'll get a quiet M4

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:01

Wahey! Someone's still alive!

£250 is a great price, I'd ask where you're getting them done if I wasn't at the other end of the country! Will be looking for someone to sort a few spots of rust on mine shortly. I'm going to try Macmetals of Mill Hill first, Horsetan's recommendation.

Got my six back from my mechanic last week after a front suspension freshen-up. Had new thrust and lower control arms and bushes fitted followed by full wheel alignment. Tie bars also had to be replaced as the adjustment was completely seized on them. I went for the stock BMW bushes in the end as his recommendation was as long as they are loaded and torqued correctly they should be fine. Car now feels a lot better with the steering wheel pointing straight ahead, taking to Bristol on Saturday so only then will I know if the 60-80mph vibration has been exorcised !!

Also finally sorted the hot start problem which turned out to be the inhibitor relay which was replaced at the cost of £6.05. No more plugs 11 and 14 in sainsburys car park, petrol stations etc!!

GraemeH View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 10:17
Indeedy. £250 an absolute bargain!
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 21:05
Still here Mark!

Wondering the same myself.

I have posted news of my Six on the General forum but for a recap, I went to the main dealers in the Six to pick up some dash bulbs for the Touring. Came out & the car wouldn't start. Called the RAC & they couldn't start it either.

Arranged to have it trailered to Jon Morgan of Prestige German Cars. Waited in the showroom for the truck & had a coffee. Came out to find some MFC had scraped down the plastic bumper end cap.

Turned out the crank sensor was acting up so replaced. Backfires when trying to start had bucked the flap in the afm (scheduled to be replaced anyway) meant a new afm.

Since I'm having the bumpers & wings refurbed anyway it's not the end of the world.

Been quoted £250 to strip the wings back to bare metal inside & out, cut out rust & lead load, paint bumpers, wings, spoilers & any other bits & pieces. Don't think that's too bad.

Edited by AndyS
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 18:36

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic