Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhere has everyone gone?!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where has everyone gone?!?!?!?
    Posted: 21-October-2006 at 18:36

1988 E24 635CSi HIGHLINE ZINNOBER RED - Whitesands Bay, Cornwall
Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 21:05
Still here Mark!

Wondering the same myself.

I have posted news of my Six on the General forum but for a recap, I went to the main dealers in the Six to pick up some dash bulbs for the Touring. Came out & the car wouldn't start. Called the RAC & they couldn't start it either.

Arranged to have it trailered to Jon Morgan of Prestige German Cars. Waited in the showroom for the truck & had a coffee. Came out to find some MFC had scraped down the plastic bumper end cap.

Turned out the crank sensor was acting up so replaced. Backfires when trying to start had bucked the flap in the afm (scheduled to be replaced anyway) meant a new afm.

Since I'm having the bumpers & wings refurbed anyway it's not the end of the world.

Been quoted £250 to strip the wings back to bare metal inside & out, cut out rust & lead load, paint bumpers, wings, spoilers & any other bits & pieces. Don't think that's too bad.

Edited by AndyS
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

GraemeH View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 10:17
Indeedy. £250 an absolute bargain!
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:01

Wahey! Someone's still alive!

£250 is a great price, I'd ask where you're getting them done if I wasn't at the other end of the country! Will be looking for someone to sort a few spots of rust on mine shortly. I'm going to try Macmetals of Mill Hill first, Horsetan's recommendation.

Got my six back from my mechanic last week after a front suspension freshen-up. Had new thrust and lower control arms and bushes fitted followed by full wheel alignment. Tie bars also had to be replaced as the adjustment was completely seized on them. I went for the stock BMW bushes in the end as his recommendation was as long as they are loaded and torqued correctly they should be fine. Car now feels a lot better with the steering wheel pointing straight ahead, taking to Bristol on Saturday so only then will I know if the 60-80mph vibration has been exorcised !!

Also finally sorted the hot start problem which turned out to be the inhibitor relay which was replaced at the cost of £6.05. No more plugs 11 and 14 in sainsburys car park, petrol stations etc!!

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:54

it does seem awful quiet on here recently.

just wondering, what does the inhibitor relay do and what was the hot-start issue you fixed with it? And how does jumping 11-14 help you out?

enjoy the bristol trip, leave early and you'll get a quiet M4

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 22:12
Ooops! - sorry it was the starting relay that was replaced. I'm useless at all things electrical but the symptom was the car would start fine when cold, but intermittently fail to start when hot (just a loud click). Jumping pins 11-14 worked because this bypasses the ignition switch/starting relay (???). Quote from the invoice from my mechanic "found voltage low on (7V) crank circuit to gearbox SEM switch, traced for wiring fault/breakdown and found starting relay defective, replace as necessary".

Was quite pleased with the bill - £378 total including all the suspension work (£228 of which was parts) only 3 hours labour.

Unfortunatly I'm working Saturday so will be leaving london about 4pm and will probably have the sun in my eyes for the whole M4 journey!!!!

Edited by mjf297

Jimbob View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 09:51

Ah, Driving off into the sunset, how romantic!

I'm still about as well, btw.

Next Tuesday is the big day for my six, as it it FINALLY booked in to have the little tiny 14" original wheels swapped for freshly reconned 16" in the same bbs x-spoke pattern. I've gone for very modest tyre sizes, 205 at the front, 225 at the back - but that's still a big change from the 190's all round at the moment.

Rust will be next (isn't it always!)

And so says Jimbob.
1981 635csi 81k miles. Will be fixed, but not by me.
Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 12:59

you'll have the same wheels as me then. 205 up front and 225 at the back. I was told that 225s would not work at the front of my car as it is an E12 base car (as is yours, no?)

cylinder head rattling is next for me (did the rust last month!)

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jimbob Jimbob wrote:

Ah, Driving off into the sunset, how romantic!

I'm still about as well, btw.

Next Tuesday is the big day for my six, as it it FINALLY booked in to have the little tiny 14" original wheels swapped for freshly reconned 16" in the same bbs x-spoke pattern. I've gone for very modest tyre sizes, 205 at the front, 225 at the back - but that's still a big change from the 190's all round at the moment.

Rust will be next (isn't it always!)

I think that rim/tyre combination is probably a good choice. It will be a massive upgrade in handling but still maintaining a relatively comfy ride that you lose with larger rims. I put 17" style 5's on my highline with 235/45 all round and I love the look, handling is great (vast improvement over the old metrics obviously), but the ride is harsh especially in London, and the car tramlines quite a bit. With the e12 and chrome bumper e28's, 16's look just right, with the Highline everything below 17's looks too small IMHO

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 22:40
I've been in Switzerland...... *relaxed sigh*

Edited by Horsetan

ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 13:55

Just about to embark on an engine rebuild for my recently aquired piece of 70s british motoring history.  A 1974 Triumph Dolomite Sprint with a mint body but tired mechanicals.

The M635 has now been modified to death and is now track ready for next spring.  (bar a few odd jobs of course)

Ian

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 16:27

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Did you take the 6? Some alpine pass hairpin action? An E24 has to be a similar length to the bus they had in the Italian Job. Wrong country I know....

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by Drew21 Drew21 wrote:

Did you take the 6?

No.

Switzerland, being the highly regulated, efficient country that it is is quite unfriendly to cars in urban areas. Trams and buses take priority, with traffic lights set to give them clearance, and you try to beat them across at your peril. I witnessed one hapless fella collide with a Zurich tram!

I went everywhere on the Swiss public transport network: railways (and particularly the railways!), trams, buses. With one exception (a 4 mins. late departure from Zurich Hbf to Luzern - I should know: I was on it!), all trains departed on time, and arrived on time with frightening regularity. The Swiss have turned efficient public transport, all dovetailing with each other, into a high art form.

WCUK will never be able to do the same. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Quote Some alpine pass hairpin action? An E24 has to be a similar length to the bus they had in the Italian Job. Wrong country I know....

If I'd been able to stay only in the rural areas, this would have been a great laugh. But even out here, they do have speed checks......

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 23:34

The Swiss have turned efficient public transport, all dovetailing with each other, into a high art form.

WCUK will never be able to do the same. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Without "WCUK" neither would the Swiss - or have you forgotten GB invented the railway?

AndyS

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 23:53

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Without "WCUK" neither would the Swiss - or have you forgotten GB invented the railway?

Inventing it is one thing. Keeping up the good work is another.

And as so often happens, WCUK then gets left behind.....

Still, if you like public transport to be unpredictable.....

Eclipse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2006 at 01:55
t0o bed.... well most of us
'93 E36 325i

-=E-Dirty6=--=Click my Siggy=- Signature created by Eclipse
Jimbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 11:59

Update

My car now has a set a beutifully refurbished 16" BBS wheels. I can't begin to describe the improvement in both looks and handling. Before and After pictures to follow at the weekend.

Wow!

Edited by Jimbob
And so says Jimbob.
1981 635csi 81k miles. Will be fixed, but not by me.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 12:07

That's good coming from a champion of the Bog Republic - you can't even invent your own national drink, you have to rebrand an English ale

Edited by AndyS
AndyS

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 16:15

That's good coming from a champion of the Bog Republic - you can't even invent your own national drink, you have to rebrand an English ale

Uh-oh! Touch paper has been lit - stand well back!!!.... well it is firework night soon

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 16:34
Originally posted by Jimbob Jimbob wrote:

Update

My car now has a set a beutifully refurbished 16" BBS wheels. I can't begin to describe the improvement in both looks and handling. Before and After pictures to follow at the weekend.

Wow!

Excellent stuff, look forward to the pics.

Now that my suspension is (kind of) sorted and the starting problem fixed, the six has sprouted a couple of new problems - I should know better but i thought i might at least have a couple of weeks of it being problem-free!!

Now the driver's door isn't shutting properly - it has always needed a good slam to shut it properly, however now the window doesn't seal when the door is slammed. Something is stopping the glass sealing, leaving a half centimetre gap which howls when driving (how i noticed it!). Opening the window a smidgeon and closing again slots the window back into the correct position. Anyone had this before? Maybe just a door re-alignment. Also I heard someone talking about some rubber stops may need replacing, however I can't really see where these would go?!

Also, now the cold weather has started, I am getting a very weird noise I can best describe as a blocked vacuum cleaner!! Comes from the rear of the car (i think) and only when i go around a right turn... could it be the fuel pump maybe struggling if the petrol has thickened up a bit with the cold?? Any ideas appreciated!!

Cheers,

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic