Forum LockedGot the 8 Buzz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got the 8 Buzz
    Posted: 30-October-2006 at 22:13

cheers for that AndyS, what a good read. it was like reading an old newspaper from the war. Im thinking maybe im swaying towards a 4.4 model, for practicalities and consumption. However with the 12/5.0 L, i dont run the risk of the dreaded nikasil issue.

What would be good is to know what a good spec is as alot of goodies come as standard on these beasts (cruise, aircon,leather etc)

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 11:42
Try here for Total BMW's buying guide.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 21:05
cheers for that ill see if i can get hold of 1. i bet there off the shelf now!!!!
Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 17:09

BMWCAR did a buyers guide for the 8's last month i believe?

Check there website www.bmwcarmagazine.com  for back issues.

Hope that helps.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

apart from  the extra 0.6 litres more over the 850 ci, what does the csi offer.

About 80bhp. It was developed by the Motorsport dept. so was to all purposes the M8.

The V8's first appeared with the M60 4.0litre engine which suffered from the Nicasil proplem. Later cars had the M62 4.4litre engine which are pretty bullet proof apart from the tendency for the rocker cover gaskets to leak oil into the plug wells.

The V12 likes to drink but other than that it's fairly solid.

Electrical issues are the main problem with the 8's as they are pretty complicated though no worse than a 7-series.

Suspension is (sort of) E34 5-series based at the front but the fancy electronic dampers are very pricey. The rear is (again, sort of) E38 7-series based & again, pricey.

Total BMW magazine & BMW Car mag have both done buying guides on the 8-series so your best bet would be to get a hold of these for a read.

Buy a dog at your peril!!!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 18:00

apart from  the extra 0.6 litres more over the 850 ci, what does the csi offer.

I would love a CSI but to get a good 1 i beleive i need more than 10k.

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 17:55
The 840Ci could possibly be quicker than the 850Ci, but not quicker than the 850CSi ... as far as I know. However, nothing sounds like a V12 ... 
Ciao,
Spokey

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 16:59

hi, im thinking of getting a weekend car and not sure which model i would be best spending my money on. ive heard that the 4.4 engine is quicker than the v12!!! I know very little about the engines (whether there was any issues with the engines) etc.

Ive looked at quiet a few and ive seen what colour i want and how much i want to spend etc but was really lookimng at what sort of spec to expect.What good extras should i look out for what should i be checking for when i go and check these babies out. looking to spend obout 10K max and bothered about fuel consumption as it will get used only at WK

cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic