Forum LockedInsurance grief

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance grief
    Posted: 16-December-2002 at 11:10

Morning everybody

Anybody any good at consumer type issues out there?

I bought my car insurance last december and got all the stuff through the post confirming that I'd paid £250 odd but there was no mention of direct debits or indeed thefact that I needed to give them any more cash.

Thought nothing of it and indeed forgot all about it untilI recieved a letter this december (2 weeks prior to the policy running out) requesting a £600 odd outstanding payment.

I am going to push them slightly but ulitimately will cough for it and certainly don't want to go to court!

What do you think, I think they have an obligation within 30 days of the start of the policy when "distance selling" to inform me of any additional payments required which they didn't do.

Any thoughts would be most gratefully recieved as ultimately they haven't provided the proffessional insurance service that I would expect from them (mentioning no names but they are an alleged reputable company).

cheers

Jason

Sponsored Links

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2002 at 12:31

Marvellous it turns out that although they (Adrian Flux BTW) can knock off their fee of £80 odd I will have to basically pay 2 premiums next year to pay for the insurance cover I've recieved this year but they forgot (would that be negligence?!) to ask me to pay for unless I can stump up the £500 remaining in this financially tight period running up to Christmas.

I understand these people have an affiliation with the club too. Jut one final point, I won't be renewing with them for TWO reasons know, the other being that www.elephant.co.uk have quoted me £300 less for next years insurance with an excess of £600 less than Adrian Flux! And the car needn't be garaged. I hope this is of some use to other club members.

Rant over. Happy Christmas...

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2002 at 13:43

AS Flux no longer have an affiliation to the club as such, they may do a scheme, but there have been so many complaints that the club appear to have disassociated themselves from them.

I would take advice on the situation first, go to the Citizens advice bureau to see how you stand.

Try some of the other insurance companies in the mag. I dropped ASF as well, cheaper cover maybe, but the service is crap!

we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
cadlon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2002 at 14:04

Might be worth trying www.confused.com

Theyll get though all of the donkey work by going around all of the bigger compaies (The AA, Direct Line, Tesco etc...)

Not nesacerilly the cheapset but itll rule a few out quickly 

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2002 at 14:09

Confused where where I got the quote for elephant- good site!

Tried ringing the CAB, got lost in the menus!

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2002 at 20:04

I have used Priviledge for my E34 M5 for almost 4 years now and they consistantly been the cheapest I could find. If anybody knows of a cheaper insurance company I'm always interested

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2002 at 08:42
I used to be with Privelage, and they were really competitive for me until June 2001, where suddenly their premium went up a £100, when I rang, the lady said that they weren't competitive on BMW's at the moment? due to a number of claims the premium has to rise??, so did a brief foray with AS Flux, and now with Livingstones.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2002 at 09:11
Am thinking of getting a little put-put machine for commuting and getting a limited mileage policy for the M3, do you guys know of any that include trackday cover!?
frank View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2002 at 00:59
Best quote I got for my M5 was Frizzell (after a lot of phone calls / internet searches) they dont require a Tracker either unlike many firms.
SteveJ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2002 at 11:26

Am thinking of getting a little put-put machine for commuting and getting a limited mileage policy for the M3, do you guys know of any that include trackday cover

I've just renewed my E30 M3 with Heritage Car Insurance, a leaflet came with the last BMWCC mag. It includes for car club track days.

Cost was £433 with 5000mls limit. Previous quote was £588.

Steve

peterswood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2002 at 10:23

FYI,

My best quote so far is Fred Roberts and Partners. However I have been with them for 3 years + my situation is probably different to most M3 owners. My age is a problem with most firms (Only 23) Anyway it might be worth a ring!

Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2003 at 23:54

Jaseb

How did this happen with your insurance company? Didn't any of their documentation specify the full cost of the premium and payment arrangements? What did they say when you confronted them about it?

I would contact Trading Standards and the ABI (Association of British Insurers). The CAB are ok but many of those that work there are volunteers.

Nigel

johnny318is View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 13:06

I got ripped of by Flux as well, when I moved to Plymouth it was a lower risk area than stockport where I lived previously. They promised a refund but it never happened. After several conversations and threats of bringing in the ombudsman I'm still out of pocket. I insure my E28 M5 through Footman James, £363 fully comp max 4500 miles per annum.

Johnny

90 318is, 87 //M5, 88 525e

Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 16:09

An insurance company mentioned above was dropped from the club list because many members had problems with them.

If you have any major problem with anyone who is advertising in the BMW Car Club magazine, please send me an e-mail with full details, and I will try to investigate.  Usually there is a compromise solution to be obtained.

Insurance is a minefield for the unwary, but anyone who does not get correct information on the cost of the policy certainly within two weeks of it being issued, should take the information direct to trading standards and get them to take it up.

Track day insurance is a disappearing commodity. However, Aon will give it for free to selected drivers subject to a £1000 excess whilst on the track. You have to phone and get permission the week before the event. They may refuse, depending on your age, experience or driving record.

I currently have two 635s, and an E30 convertible insured with them for around £390 the lot. 

hwalker1@compuserve.com

Howard Walker

Coupé Section Chairman.

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 17:43

I don't have a major problem with ASF, it's just a major pain in the ass as I can't be bothered to persue it to the end as I have a feeling I'll get on a black list for car insurance - conspiracy theory and all.... So will end up paying for 2 lots of cover this year.

So all I can do is add weight to the other opinions mentioned above and advise club members not to use them as they don't provide the professional service I expect from an alleged responsible respectible company. (Gits)

Got cover from the AA for ones new Sport evo for £800 and no need for garaging, shame that Elephant.co.uk didn't recognise the evo as a production car as they were pretty damn keen.

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 23:01

Jaseb

I was the same with elephant when i changed to the Sport,although they did have an M3 2.5ltr on their system,but coz it was'nt called a Sport evo on their system they could'nt insure me,so went to Admiral who are the same co & have the same address(funny that) who gave me it for £633 no garage either

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 13:46

I'am 32yrs old with over 10yrs NCD,3 points on licence. Car has tracker and CAT1 and parked in drive.

I was getting quotes of anything from £1100 - £1894(kwik fit) it would be funny, but they do s.f.a for the money you give them until you need to claim then the only thing that they give you is grief.Sorry about that i got carried away there back to insurance.

I've stayed with Greenlight(01277263030) £964 with £550 excess(now you can see why I'm bitter) it was the cheapest, Egg insurance(08700240095) said they'd beat renewal by £1 and freeze price for 2yrs as long as your circumstances remained the same. I was suspicious because they were quite pushy so decided to stay where I was.

other competetive quotes:Tesco, Bell Direct.

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrą mai tedesco di nuovo haha
jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 14:41

Gary

Git!!! Wish I'd known that earlier

Never mind too late now I don't care...

Am gagging for dry roads though to try the car out properly!

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 17:45

I bet you are,mate.

This weather is a p155er for trying too keep them tidy.I wince every time I have to take her out at this time of year.

Not long now only another 5 months to go

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2003 at 08:45

Howard

I take back my lenient attitude to Flux, just as I've agreed my pay back terms (£50 odd a month - plenty generous enough I thought) they've sent me a letter with their bank details as I requested but the last line in this letter threatens me with a debt collections agency which I think is both unecessary and out of order to a certain extent. Not the sort of thing I would expect from a company advertising specifically through the club magazine marketing a club specific product, in fact using the good name of the club on headed note paper. If this is how they treat club members who should be getting an exceptional service I am very wary of their ability and willingness to pay up promptly if required.

Yours

Disgruntled of Bucks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic