Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSunroof sag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exproject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunroof sag
    Posted: 27-October-2006 at 23:15
E30 325is(pretty sure it's an 87, even if the door panel says 12/86)

Not the liner, but the whole sunroof panel

You can see how it's flush at the front then sags at the back. and yes, where you see that black line at the back, that is the bottom of the roof panel.

I think this is causing some windnoise, and is just generally an annoyance, is there a simple fix to make it flush again?

(Yes, I am aware that I need a new paint job. workin' on that.)

Thanks
Sponsored Links

beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 23:57

i have that problem too but it's not so bad at the moment. i just open up the roof and close it down again, but not fully. just until it's flush or there abouts. obviously it's not a proper solution but it may cut down your wind noise til you can fix it properly.

Edited by beemerfool
gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
exproject View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exproject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 03:58
Someone on Roadfly told me that the Bentley manual tells you how to adjust it, and gave me a link to this also. Maybe it will help you too

http://e30.bmwdiy.info/sunroof-adjust/index.html
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 19:53
Can't you get it to rest in the correct position by turning the handle or cranking the electric motor a little a bit more towards the tilt position.
The position it is at on the photo is common as the mechanism gets worn.. it is getting ready to drop into the slide position.

Nick
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 23:05

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Can't you get it to rest in the correct position by turning the handle or cranking the electric motor a little a bit more towards the tilt position. The position it is at on the photo is common as the mechanism gets worn.. it is getting ready to drop into the slide position. Nick

That's what I've done - after spending ages (and ages) trying to get the 'new' sun-roof to sit properly

In "theory" it is easy to adjust the bolts to get it to sit flush

In PRACTICE it's <edit>far too hard for little old me</edit> - so I've given up!

Edited by Webdunk
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old shape! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 00:42

This is common on the E36 too.

Personally I wouldn't try and fix it.  You'll probably end up with a worse situation.

How I get over it is by opening the roof upwards (The moonroof we call it on the e36) and then closing it.  It lies flush when done this way.  If I open the roof backwards, when closing on the final upwards movement it stops about 5mm from the roof line.  So, if I do have the roof open wide, the closing is a two stage process.

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
exproject View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exproject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2006 at 14:30
I'm not gonna bother with it, I thought it was the source of all my windnoise, but something on the passenger side is causing it, so I'll just tilt it up when i really need to to be that much quieter.
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2006 at 13:05

It's to do with the side clip/wedge that fits into the runners at the back, the linkages and slide get worn after all those years of opening closing, pretty hard to fix I think without stripping it out. best laft alone of you can't adjust in situ

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic