Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddecsion ’s decsion’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decsion ’s decsion’s
    Posted: 29-October-2006 at 09:43
Was in Duffy's yesterday to have a look at an M3 he has and could not stop looking at the new 325 coupe!!! i was gonna change my m3 for a newer one 04 model hopefully, for the price of a 04 m3 i could buy a brand new 335i or 325 .. i love the m3 to bits but now i cant decide what to go for, mpg's and tax dosen't concern me when buying a car... its the car itself that has to impress me!!! what would you do??? i want another m3 but will i regret it?? am i better off with a new model???  
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Sponsored Links

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 10:19

You've done the E46 M3 thing; getting another might leave you regretful after 6 months. The 335i is near-as-quick apparently. Can you get an aftermarket diff from Quaife, ACS? you could have yourself a serious motor then that'd have comparable performance, and something different to look at on the driveway. And better to trade in against a V8 M3 when they come out....

Now if twas an M3 CS you were replacing your M3 with, I might be tempted more by the CS...

Either way, some tasty motors you caught between.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 10:24
M cars are special....... you might regret returning to a 'normal' car however good it is!
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 12:28

@ Derek.. thats what i was thinking?????... also what TJ said the new model might work better as a trade in for the new M3 when she arrives... was thinking of a 2004 M3 cabriolet metalic silver with smg drivelogic paddle shift!!!,  or what???????

Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 14:39
luke

have you thought about the z4 m coupe??
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 16:37
Luke

Why do you want another M3?  Your own car is pretty sweet, with a good spec and low mileage.  Another one is not going to feel that different, if its a change you are after.

If you do have to have a change however, on the financial side the one thing you have to remember (and people including dealers talk an awful lot of shyte about this) is that even though the E92 is a newer model, you are still buying a brand new car which is going to drop tons as soon as you drive it off the lot.  You spend €80k on a new 335i and you will be lucky to get €45-50k for it in 3 years time.  Your own car, which has already taken its major depreciation hit will not depreciate that much in 3 years, possibly not even half that, even though its an older model.

As regards fitting aftermarket diffs to new cars, thats fine as long as you have weighed up the effect it will have on your warranty which is part of the reason for taking the major new-car-depreciation-hit in the first place.

However, when it comes to buying another M3, I would be wary before paying over the prices that Duffys are looking for them.  You can get cars for €10-15k less if you look around or take them in from the uk.  I know there are warranty issues but if you buy carefully, the  E46 M3 is pretty proven now and the items that can go wrong are not going to cost you €10k-€15k to fix.

Finally, take the new coupe for a test drive.  I took the 335i on a major test and came away somewhat underwhelmed.  I was glad to get back in my own car when it was over, which I didn't expect.

Mick
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 18:26
@ Eamo   i looked at the Z4 coupe aslo.... sexy looking car!!! not sure tho!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 18:31
@ Mick... thats v.good advise mate!!! will take it on board, i'm in no hurry at the moment, will wait till jan/feb to change (if i do), i will be test driving cars between now and then so we will see what happens!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 21:17

Get the guys in Joe Duffy's to give you the Demo for a few days. They should do as you cant make a choice like that with out a good long drive in it.

I wish I had your problem though.... 04' M3 or new 335 ci. Tough life..

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 10:01

The 335Ci will disappoint you.

I drove one oin Saturday.

It's a fantastic car, of that there is no doubt - but its no M3.  The reason being that whilst it is close to the performance of the M3 (and its very very close indeed) that it doesn't offer the feedback of the M3.

The M division makes it mark where suspension and handling are concerned, and you don't get that in the 335Ci.  Its not a waft-machine - but its not an M Power car either.

If you wanted a more comfortable ride, more relaxing when you want it to be, and perhaps a Jekyll & Hyde type solution, then the 335Ci would be a very good buy indeed. 

The Z4M Coupe is a completely different animal.  I had one for a full day a while back and it is far more raw than the M3.  Bullet fast - but you feel it in your backside too.  For me it was a weekend car and nothing else - I couldn't do long or City trips in it.  It'd annoy the hell out of me.

It depends what you crave I guess.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 18:24
Well there's your answer Luke. Buy a Z4 M Coupe (or convertible). You don't
need it as an everyday car, you won't be forced to bring the kids anywhere in
it, it's different, fast, fun, and you can trade it in for an e92 M3 later.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 18:25

Autocar tested the 335i in this weeks mag. It got to the ton 1sec behind the E46 M3, and 50-70mph in top gear 1.6sec faster then the E46 M3. 400miles on the tank, 32.1mpg touring, 25.7mpg average on test.

But as you say, running costs don't matter in your decision. The bits that count to you, in my opinion, are:

"Never make the mistake of underestimating this car... this is a sensationally rapid coupe.

For the eagle-eyed, there is a clue to the 335i intent nestled under the rev counter- an oil-temperature gauge is fitted. Normally the preserve of M-badged BMWs. Further M-style theatre follows on cold start, settleing for the 1st 5 mins on fast idle, twin exhausts emitting a busy, bassy, resonant tone, setting the air alive with expectation.

It enjoys excellent body control, and an enjoyable degree of throttle adjustability, but a fidgety ride on its run flats.

Such is the 335is punch that at times a 10% stiffer setup wouldn't go amiss. High speed direction changes are best anticipated, resultant body roll pre-empted & settled before commiting to a series of bends. Driven with gusto, the trick self-drying soft-stop brakes wilt from repeated use from high speeds, and the steering though accurate, is a touch wooden, not quite transmitting the subtleties you crave.

In summary all the firepower you'd ever need. A deeply satisfying package. 4.5 out of 5stars"

So a savage car, but not an M3. Still, AC Schnitzer bits are bought warrantied over the BMW counter. But then you're spending more wedge again.

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 19:13
oh what a tough choice!!!! i will be test driving shortly, the 335i and the z4 coupe... at this moment i'm still thinking 04 M3 or maybe look at 03 csl from uk!!, i keep feeling this attraction to the new 335i coupe for some reason... i have to sort it out, i will know as soon as i drive the car, then it will be easy to make my mind up!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 19:47
Hard choice, I would pick up a CSL if it were me.
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 20:04
LOL I didn't know a CSL was in the equation.

Hands down get one.  Especially if its a weekend car and you have another car for the kids and stuff.

Mick
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 20:34

Jesus!

C

S

L

!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

tony.c. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony.c. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 22:44
C S L ALL THE WAY.......
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdevitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 22:55
Have read the CS is the best of the E46 M3 bunch... no way I could live with the seats in the CSL.

My money would definitely be on the Z4 Coupe or 335i...
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 23:29
csl is my top choice... obviously, but the price is the big issue!!!.. i'm not mad on the seats either but i reckon i'd get over it!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 09:00

well it'd be your rear seat passengers that'd have to (literally) get over them really, Luke! 

you have the day cars, so the comprimise isn't too bad. And having been in a CSL on track, they seems plenty comfy and locked you in place.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic