Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcoolant - e36 325i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mansoni69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coolant - e36 325i
    Posted: 29-October-2006 at 19:04

Hello All...

Looking in my expansion tank after a coolant level low warning....

It had dropped rather below the cold marker, but more alarming was the 'gunk' that was stuck to the inside. Like a waxy textured substance...

I'm sure this isn't meant to be there...?

Any comments appreciated...

E36 325i Coupe...
Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 09:42

when was the coolant last changed?

mansoni69 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mansoni69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 11:20
i honestly couldnt tell you...think about a year ago it was pressure tested and so then i think was the last time....
E36 325i Coupe...
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 12:39

The coolant is not drained and replaced when a pressure test is carried out. The cooling system remains full and is pressurised to check for leaks, normally of the internal variety.

Does the 'gunk' have a colour to it?

Does it look like mayonaise?

Is there any 'gunk' on the inside of your oil filler cap?

mansoni69 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mansoni69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 13:22

been down to my local garage earlier, he flushed out the system for me, and you aught to have seen what came out!

it looked revolting, loads of tiny brown lumps...

he recommended getting a radiator flush and removing any remaining rubbish from inside the system and then monitoring it to see if it comes back...

had various responses to this though...some say get the head torqued down, some say flush it and monitor and some say don't drive it and get the head done asap...

E36 325i Coupe...
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 13:27
Get it pressure tested again, that should tell you of any head problems.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 13:59

Good point Sporty1, gaskets may be corroded as coolant turns acidic after a couple of years and attacks them..

So it is undocumented as to when the coolant last changed then, not a good sign IMO..

At least you've had it flushed out tho..

mansoni69 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mansoni69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 21:08
it may be doc'd, didnt have the docs with me earlier, i'll have a browse through the book and post when i find...thanks to all so far
E36 325i Coupe...
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2006 at 12:58

Appreciate that the gunk in your water system is a concern but I think the more pressing issue is the water loss. How long did it take to drop from full to below the cold line? If this was a matter of days then you're losing coolant somewhere and that's the biggest issue you need to sort. The gunk in the water could just be down to the age of the coolant, distilled water should only be used in a mixed metal engine to avoid anodisation (word for the day ) and corrosion. If the radiator has not been flushed in a long time then deposits can build up at the bottom, especially in hard water areas as the lime can solidify, just like a kettle element.

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
mansoni69 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mansoni69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2006 at 13:04

its going in for an MOT on friday and the chap is going to look further into it for me...i'll update once i know more,

as for the coolant change though. spent half an hour reading the history of the car (first time ever) and didnt see anything about it, although i was almost sleeping by the time i was finished...

E36 325i Coupe...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic