Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorn suspension bush,new symptom !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worn suspension bush,new symptom !!
    Posted: 05-October-2003 at 18:31

I know ive already asked this question but im still unsure which bush to replace on the rear suspension of my e34 535i sport. Aswell as the clunking and rear wheel steering while lifting on-off throttle i have a new symptom. If i park the car up with the handbrake on and then select first gear,when i bring the clutch up to the biting point enough so the rear of the car starts trying to move you can actually see the rear wheel moving fowards and backwards in the wheel arch. I would appreciate any ideas on this problem so i can figure out which bush needs replacing.

Sponsored Links

tstolber View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2003 at 14:11

Not sure - but change it quick before something bad happens!

Ypu can easily check though if you get under the car and use a bar to put force on the rear suspension - you should soon see where the movement comes from.

535i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2003 at 19:00
What could happen if i leave it,i spoke to a bmw technician and they said it was probably the axle mount bush and that it was ok to drive because nothing could fall off or anything like that. Do you know anything about this or know how to change the bush ?
tstolber View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2003 at 12:00

Hi

I just checked the haynes manual and under my car.  I don't know what was meant by the axel bush?  It has a drive shaft for each rear wheel and a differential driven by the prop shaft (runs along the length of the car to the gearbox).  Unlike some rear wheel drive cars it does not have a single axel.  The separate drive shafts are what give it "independant suspension".  What controls the movement of the wheel is the wishbon or swinging arm.  There are only two bushed that could cause movement - 1)the damper bush - 2) the wishbon bush.  As you say you can visually see the wheel move it must be the later - wishbone bush.  If you look under the car see the arm that conects the wheel to the car.  You will see that there is a bolt that conects this to the shell of the car.  To stop lots of vibration from the road getting through to the car a thick but stiff rubber bush is used.  These can go brittle and crack or just deform with age - this causes play.  It may be the case that due to the bolt the arm/wheel won't fall of but this is dangerous and can cause serious hanling defects!  If you leave this it will get much worse and will eventualy snap the bolt - if you can mange to drive it in this condition.  It should only by cheap to buy a pattern bush and shouldn't take a mechanic more than 2 hours maximum!  Or you could do it your self (a press may be required).

Hop this helps

T

antonioritta View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2003 at 10:04

Hi,

Rear axle bush is the problem here, they will cost about £150 to replace, and although no dangerous (nothing will fall off) it does make driving difficult and puts a lot of stress on other parts like diff mounts etc. I would get it changed asap

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2003 at 02:17

good morning vicar , cuppa tea ?

ive just had something similar on my e30 hartge convertible , felt like the car  was oversteering on left hand corners , occasional clonking or rubbing sounds  . i thought it all sounded expensive but turned out to be a bloody wheel bearing that some butt monkey hadnt done up properly before i bought it !!!!  ive tightend it up and it only feels like its oversteering when its oversteering now !!!!  good ay !!!!!!!!!!!     

JUST A THOUGHT if you hadnt checkd it like i didnt .

good luck

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2003 at 03:51
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

good morning vicar , cuppa tea ?

ive just had something similar on my e30 hartge convertible , felt like the car  was oversteering on left hand corners , occasional clonking or rubbing sounds  . i thought it all sounded expensive but turned out to be a bloody wheel bearing that some butt monkey hadnt done up properly before i bought it !!!!  ive tightend it up and it only feels like its oversteering when its oversteering now !!!!  good ay !!!!!!!!!!!     

JUST A THOUGHT if you hadnt checkd it like i didnt .

good luck

Interested to hear of another Hartge convertible !! What area are you in ?? What spec have you got ?? If you are 15 minutes or so from the Goodwood area then we are within a few miles of each other ????

Happy to find a Hartge !!!

Edited by Iain H
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2003 at 12:01

to be totallyhonest  i havnt got a clue what model it is , it was imported a year and a half ago  from germany where it had 1 owner from new ,  its in dire need of some tlc at the mo . when i bought it it had the hartge badge on the boot , power hood  black leather  aftermarket 17s seriously lowered and a tatty exhaust . since then someone tried to steal it but werent succesfull they did however steal  the badge and both the power hood thingys (motors)  i guess they are like rocking horse poo these days as i cant find replacements for either .  its a h reg  . black  and has been converted to right hand drive ( using all new parts from chandlers )  i guess all thats part of the original conversion now is the 2.7 lump gearbox etc etc  although i would be interested to hear wether it should have a l,s,d  or not cos its definatly something it could do with .   where abouts are you then ?

Brad .

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2003 at 20:12

Brad,

I am around the Chi areas at times or otherwise up Fleet way. Yes you should have a LSD (40%), 6 brancher, two piece strut brace, internal cockpit dials, Hartge classics and steering wheel, plus thickened anti roll front and rear. Hartge exhaust etc - meet up some time m8 ???? Can possibly source you some new badges ................let me know....

Edited by Iain H
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2003 at 21:56

cor blimey you are locall !  and you certainly no your stuff !!!!

mine duznt have any of that anymore !   Its got a complete new stainless system ( new manifold aswell) all new anti roll bars and bushes (done when right hand drive conversion fitted) m3 interior , sparco racing steering wheel infact it seems now its about as much a hartge  as my neighbours puch maxi moped !!!!  i guess the kid i bought it off ( more like stole)  didnt have a clue what he ruined .  gutted now tho cos its aint worth a toss .  he did offer me the classics when i bought it tho , i guess i shoulda had em , he only wanted a ton for em and ive seen em on a 316 goin round worthin a couple of times !!! . we will have to meet up at least so i can see what mine should be like ,  are you goin to the bournemouth meet ?

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic