Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNoisy Vanos Unit on M50...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy Vanos Unit on M50...
    Posted: 07-November-2006 at 21:16

Hey guys, another mind numbing post from me as usual...

I've had the engine replaced, it all went in ok...ish! (apart from costing me about a billion pounds) But now we have another issue. A noisy vanos! Seems to be coming from the uppermost part of the timing chain case (right by the vanos) and is a kind of rattle!

Can anyone help with this?

Could it possibly be the tensioner? Worn chain guides?

Is there a quick fix?

This is doing my head in aaarrrggghhh!!!

Thanks in advance

Keith

Burning rubber??? I prefer to think of it as scorching tarmac!!!
Sponsored Links

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 13:10

Warranty if it's a new one Blackcat?

You really don't want to go there if considering fixing the VANOS. It's an easy concept made dificult by the fact that it's half hydraulic. Is it single or dual? probably single as it was the M52 that they introduced the dual version I think. It's understanding what side the rattle's on. In a single VANOS the exhaust cam is hard connected to the crank via a chain and then there's a chain that connets the exhaust sproket to the inlet VANOS system. If the rattle is at the inlet side then it will be the chain that connets the two banks that is rattling. This may be down to tensioners/guides or spring plate. Suggest referring to the Bentley manual if you have one, or follow the link here for some info that hopefully may help

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/features/b398/b398_updates1 .htm

Cheers Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 21:14

rob,

followed link- still as ignorant!!!

could it be the vanos system in my car making a hissing noise? you can hear it especially when switching off the engine.

should i be worried about it??

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Blackcat View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 21:27
Doesn't make a hissing, more of a rattling or heavy tapping, and is at the front of the engine by the viscous fan blades. It should be coming from the bit that BMW spray paint a kind of goldy colour and always ends up flacking off and looking rubbish!
Burning rubber??? I prefer to think of it as scorching tarmac!!!
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2006 at 12:57

Your's sounds like it may be the tensioner Blackcat as it sounds like it is a third of the way down, where the tensioner is located as per the diagram in the link, would you think that 's where the noise is coming from? Might be worth taking the top plate off and check for slack , worn chain?

BF, i wouldn't think the hissing is from the VANOS as the hydraulics are controlled by oil pressure controlled by the DME and not air that would hiss so you would see oil if there was a leak. Not sure what the hissing could be then, do you have AC?

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
sidyal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2006 at 16:29
When I had the e34 touring I had a noisy vanos.
My indy fixed it for around £100-£120 I think.
It only affected the early M50 vanos engines as they were modified during production to combat this.
I think a plate, bolts and poss springs (I can't remember exactly) were replaced. It ran sweet after that.
Ask a BMW indy as it seemed to me to be a common problem the way he talked about it(Ex BMW mechanic).

E39 525TDS Touring Auto Individual. Style 32s, Schnitzer Side Skirts, Front Aero Spoiler, Chipped.
All The Car I Need. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic