Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedengine harsh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine harsh
    Posted: 08-November-2006 at 19:36

took my car (e30 m3)on  a run today, used it for work, first longish trip.

all seemed ok but i noticed it felt a bit harsh, particularly round 3 to 3 and a half thousand revs but off power, when you boot it again its smooth. you can feel it through the steering wheel most.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2006 at 19:42
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

took my car (e30 m3)on  a run today, used it for work, first longish trip.

all seemed ok but i noticed it felt a bit harsh, particularly round 3 to 3 and a half thousand revs but off power, when you boot it again its smooth. you can feel it through the steering wheel most.

any ideas?

Oh dear, looks like you are going through the same S14 learning phase than myself a few years back

The S14 is buzzy, when we drive to the Ring and I hold the steering wheel not relaxed my hand will be num when we arrive for a few hours. Nothing to worry really.

but it is always difficult to judge when sitting on front of a keyboard. Why don't you come along to Brands Hatch on the 30th to compare your car to other M3's?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2006 at 19:50

might do Uwe, was thinking of it anyway, not to track it but just to visit and meet. i ve got a new job, as well as a new car! and times iffy to arrange anything definite..

about the car, i think its a characteristic and was hoping to get a response like yours...ive got a hayabusa that has the same vibes a 4-5 k revs.

i'll try to come to brands

ta

Nick

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2006 at 20:15
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

might do Uwe, was thinking of it anyway, not to track it but just to visit and meet. i ve got a new job, as well as a new car! and times iffy to arrange anything definite..

about the car, i think its a characteristic and was hoping to get a response like yours...ive got a hayabusa that has the same vibes a 4-5 k revs.

i'll try to come to brands

ta

Nick

Don't forget to bring your lid....
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2006 at 21:05

Check the engine mounts and the mount at the rear of the gearbox. If they have finally given up, the downpipes can rest on the roll bar or subframe sometimes, which makes it feel/sound much harsher than it normally does. Just an idea - I felt just the same as you, and discovered this.  Since I replaced them it felt a whole lot smoother.

Uwe's probably right though........

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2006 at 22:01

ok i'll have a look under at the weekend

ta 

Nick

korky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 07:00
I had the same, replaced the engine mounts and it was much better, still not what you would call smooth though..........
Mark
1990 E30 M3
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 08:50

Not wanting to scare you, but...........

My vibration / harshness around 4000 was due to a broken spring, which eventually let go, and 'lunched' the top end

anyway, since i've changed the engine everythings ok now

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic