Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes the E39 handle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 18:44

To be honest thge first line of the answer says it all doesn't it

"First off, if you enjoy driving your 530, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks"

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 19:59
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

To be honest thge first line of the answer says it all doesn't it

"First off, if you enjoy driving your 530, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks"

Never a truer word spoken
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 20:01
I don't know about you but when ever anyone says "as long as you like it that's all that matters" I get the feeling that they don't approve

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 20:49

True but they did follow it up with:

"Having said that, we reckon the E39 is still a darned good saloon

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 21:06
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

...besides according to the tests the Toyos are better

OK, I'll give them a go next time.

And just to prove that Telegraph readers CAN learn something (unlike Guardian readers!) I have fitted four Toyo Proxes T1-R's to my Z1 and I'm very happy with them!

Ciao,
Spokey

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 22:42

Regarding the tyre test, i.e. cheap versus expensive, it's true that you get what you pay for, but only in terms of wear and tear. I have a few close contacts in the tyre world (I work in a garage) and a guy once said to me (he has 15 years experience in tyres) ALL tyres have to pass the stringent european safety standards test and these aren't a quick stint around a track, these are run until destruction, testing in all cars, all road conditions and several times over and over.

All tyres you buy have to pass these tests to be able to be sold within the EU. There are differences between the way they perform and feel on each car and it differs between personal preferance too, but on comparable situatoins, they should all perform quite well.

The main difference is cheap tyres will last less time than expensive ones. I was shown a good quality tyre (either yokohama's or goodyear, I forget) and a budget copy. Both treads were identical, the EU safety digits were on both tyres, but the budgets were half the price and you'd get about 2 thirds of the wear from them.

The expensive ones may be a little quieter on the road but the grip and water displacement effect should be fairly even.

Not an opinion, just something I was told once by a guy who knows a thing or two about rubber!!

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 22:58
in my experience over the years the cheapy tyres (nankang, marshall, federal, avon etc) have really hard compounds so they last forever at the expense of wet weather grip, whereas the expensive sports ones (yokohama, pirelli, michelin) aren't that much better in the wet for the price difference yet wear much more quickly.. i'll pay a not-unreasonable amount for a performance tyre (say a maximum of £200 a tyre for 18") where the performance of the car warrants it but i think it's pointless sticking such expensive rubber on low-performing cars... my 318 had nankangs finest 17-inchers at £50 a corner on secondhand m3 evo reps and they did the job admirably

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 09:09

...besides according to the tests the Toyos are better

OK, I'll give them a go next time.

And just to prove that Telegraph readers CAN learn something (unlike Guardian readers!) I have fitted four Toyo Proxes T1-R's to my Z1 and I'm very happy with them!

Glad to here you like them. I'm going to be getting some fitted to my 530 after christmas.

Oh and I wouldn't bother reading any news papers, except of course to do the sodoku

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 09:14

Oh and I wouldn't bother reading any news papers, except of course to do the sodoku

Not a Sun 'reader' then?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 18:39
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Not a Sun 'reader' then?

I have been for the last two weeks!

I have been doing Jury duty and have have had a lot of time to kill, so I have been reading another persons copy of the Sun. For reading I do of course mean checking out page 3 and doing the sodoku

nsmjm02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsmjm02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 23:59

Hi guys,

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am looking to replace the rears on my 525 sport shortly,but to go back to the start of the thread regarding the E39 handling.I have had my E39 for almost 6 months now and I bought it to replace my Vauxhall Senator 3.0L auto 12V (I still have it but will be selling shortly). The Senator is by a million miles the best car I have ever driven.For a car of its size its handling and total composure on a twisty B road is totally amazing and I wouls say it even shades the E39.I was actually looking for a 5 series in 1993 when I bought this 1990 Senator and I have had it for 13 years now and will be very sorry to part with it.The police couldn't see past them, and it was recognised as a much better car than the Omega which replaced it.It goes without saying that it is also a superb motorway cruiser with an absolutely cavernous boot and enough room in the back to stretch your legs out.I just hope my E39 gives me half as much pleasure and reliability as my Senny.(It has only done 62k miles and been totally over serviced so will probably go on for ever).

Regards, Malcolm.

spokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2006 at 22:25
Originally posted by nsmjm02 nsmjm02 wrote:

The Senator is by a million miles the best car I have ever driven.For a car of its size its handling and total composure on a twisty B road is totally amazing and I wouls say it even shades the E39.

No Vauxhall I ever drove would even shade my E21.
Ciao,
Spokey

nsmjm02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsmjm02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2006 at 23:08

Hi spokey,

You obviously haven't driven a Senator then.Ask any Traffic Cop or have a look at Quentin Wilson's Top Gear report on it.The Thames Valley police started stockpiling them when they heard they were going out of production.The fastest car I have witnessed on a UK road was a police Senator in pursuit of a speeding Sierra and when they pulled him over he must have thought they had dropped out of the sky.Of course it was really an Opel Senator and made in Germany,and it showed. Its Vauxhall badge was its only real problem,but without any shadow of a doubt the best car ever to carry that badge.

Regards, Malcolm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2006 at 23:12
did they not stockpile omegas too?  i seem to remember reading something about that - i thought mine was great fun, a genuine rival to the 5-series

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 03:41

Originally posted by nsmjm02 nsmjm02 wrote:

The Senator is by a million miles the best car I have ever driven.For a car of its size its handling and total composure on a twisty B road is totally amazing and I wouls say it even shades the E39.

Obviously you haven't driven many...

The Lotus Carlton is a better drive than an E39 M5/E34 M5/E36 M3/E46 M3 --- but only if you're able to drive...
An E21 --- grow up.

BMWcare

spokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 08:26
Originally posted by bmwcare bmwcare wrote:

Obviously you haven't driven many...

The Lotus Carlton is a better drive than an E39 M5/E34 M5/E36 M3/E46 M3 --- but only if you're able to drive...

Spot the difference.
Ciao,
Spokey

My523 View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My523 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 10:33

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

in my experience over the years the cheapy tyres (nankang, marshall, federal, avon etc) have really hard compounds so they last forever at the expense of wet weather grip, whereas the expensive sports ones (yokohama, pirelli, michelin) aren't that much better in the wet for the price difference yet wear much more quickly..

Exactly, that's what Iv'e allway's found too..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2006 at 16:29

Originally posted by bmwcare bmwcare wrote:

The Lotus Carlton is a better drive than an E39 M5

Are you sure?

When Evo magazine compared the Lotus carlton to the E39 M5 they said it fought it's corner well but it was certainly not a better car.

As for E46 M3? I seriously doubt it.

The Lotus carlton was undoubtably a great car but to say it is better than an M3 and M5 built 10 years later is just being silly IMO.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2006 at 12:36
Originally posted by My523 My523 wrote:

in my experience over the years the cheapy tyres (nankang, marshall, federal, avon etc) have really hard compounds so they last forever at the expense of wet weather grip, whereas the expensive sports ones (yokohama, pirelli, michelin) aren't that much better in the wet for the price difference yet wear much more quickly..

second that too. I have had some good experience with "cheap" tyres in the last 5 years. Many no name brands are owned by the big players now and just move their last years technology over to the east and produce for less (you just need to find out who is who)
I only spend loads of money and track day tyres, everything else will be a value for money purchase.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
digweed View Drop Down
I’m SOOO cut out for world domination!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2007 at 20:40
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by My523 My523 wrote:

second that too. I have had some good experience with "cheap" tyres in the last 5 years. Many no name brands are owned by the big players now and just move their last years technology over to the east and produce for less (you just need to find out who is who)
I only spend loads of money and track day tyres, everything else will be a value for money purchase.

i kinda go along with this too.  my brother in law is a tyre fitter (cost price tyres for me!!!!) and he put Marangoni Herons on my 520.  they were the best wet weather tyre i've ever used.  using falkens on the 525 at the minute because the tread pattern that was on the marangonis is no longer being made.  at the end of the day its all about personal preference, there was a guy used to come in to him with a merc. and fork out €1200 for a set of 4 (don't know what they were) and get at best 12,000 miles out of them.

wrt to o/t, i think that the e39 is the best car in my experience of driving.  i've had a couple of hot hatches (92 civic being one) and i much prefer what i have now.  we have an opel vectra at work, '05 one, if it was on fire i wouldn't cross the road to put it out i hate it that much.  it has zero road holding, the handling is all over the place.  any kind of speed at all on a bumpy road and it's all over the shop.  it just doesn't feel safe at all.  a man i used to work with said that his favourite car over the years was the 2.8 granada, a tank of a car and nigh on bulletproof!!!.

D.
Dermot O Rourke, used to be '99 520 black metallic
Now '01 525 M-Sport, cosmos black, sports half leather seats, upgraded lights and a kick like a mule!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic