Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo speed does kill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So speed does kill...
    Posted: 20-November-2006 at 15:51
Shame.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/speed/default.asp?storyId=15438
Sponsored Links

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 15:58

WTF? Why did they need to test this device on public roads in the first place??

Shocking, whoever authorised such a thing should up for manslaughterAngry

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 16:14
Totally agree. Scum, who will get off with a slapped wrist most likely and be out testing again a week later...
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 16:20

Locally there is a safety campaign by the police to slow down whilst driving on rural roads!!

You would think they should test these devices on faster roads i.e. motorways..

Sad news..

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 16:20

Can't see how the accident could have happened if they were folowing their own strict protocols on hight speed driving??

But it's the fsmiley35wits that sent them out there in the first place that should be up on a charge.... Plenty of facilities available to test these thing safely.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 17:16
I tend to go with whats said on the Evening Standard link there. It doesnt say that the Police were driving fast, and it doesnt say they were onthe wrong side of the road.

It "may" of been the other drivers fault. We don't know at this time. So lets wait for some more facts before we go blindly Police Bashing eh?
Rich.
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 17:24
and what was involved .. a speed camera devise.

how many more times has this sort of thing going to happen before they scrap speed cameras and concentrate on proper education and ability.

i bet he was looking at the camera at the time instead of the road ahead.

he should be treated the same as anyone else would be in a court for driving with undue care and attention.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 17:27
Originally posted by rr_ww rr_ww wrote:

So lets wait for some more facts before we go blindly Police Bashing eh?

But blindly police bashing is so much more fun...
Ciao,
Spokey

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 17:30
Vascar has been around for ages and supprised they are just testing it in 2006. It is a manual device. How it works is simple. The car they are following passed a fixed object, start 1, they pass start 2. then when the first car passes a fixed object ahead, 1 stop, then 2 stop when the police pass. It works out the average speed.

To me it seems it can be abused as how accurate is the starting and stopping by us mere humans.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
spokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2006 at 17:47
Oh my. 
Ciao,
Spokey

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 19:24
They only need to kill 2 more then they can put a speed camera up
Robert Born
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 21:41
It's pathetic..the police need to be stamped on! They do *kof* training on the York bypass.. and were seen by several people driving so fast that all you could hear was a whistle as they flew past other cars as if they were standing - the lead car swerving all over the place while the other followed.. Is this safe driving? I think not. There are 3 places at least where police can practice driving at speed - they alternate the places and block them off for public use.

As said, they should have used a motoway to test these devices - the car using the device should have had a passenger to operate the device. They say using a mobile phone while driving is dangerous - whats the difference?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 09:19

Originally posted by rr_ww rr_ww wrote:

I tend to go with whats said on the Evening Standard link there. It doesnt say that the Police were driving fast, and it doesnt say they were onthe wrong side of the road.

It "may" of been the other drivers fault. We don't know at this time. So lets wait for some more facts before we go blindly Police Bashing eh?

I agree, lets all stop jumping to conclusions before we know the facts.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 09:50
Well how about this video clip   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMUMZaJRHM 
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 11:47
 Thats hillarious.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 12:48

Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

and what was involved .. a speed camera devise.

i bet he was looking at the camera at the time instead of the road ahead.

it was the second police car that had the vascar fitted not the one in the crash....did some one  mention getting away from the facts

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2006 at 20:39
Hi Muppett,
No I do not think we are getting away from it . The police were on a training exercise on public roads . A death occurred . The lead car was the car being chased

Where I live both the A414 and M11 are local both are used regularly by the Met even though both are in Essex and Herts .

I have seen them 5 times twice on the m11 and three times on the A414... The driving is poor . Both times on the motorway they were bullying the cars in front. One was a friday evening and 6 cars were attempting to drive in the outside lane at speeds well above the limit. On the A414 I had to slow because coming towards me were police cars overtaking and one was still on my side of the road .

I have already decided that if I ever get caught up in one of their games I will block them.

Rob

Robert Born
spokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2006 at 21:03
Originally posted by Robmw Robmw wrote:

Where I live both the A414 and M11 are local both are used regularly by the Met even though both are in Essex and Herts .

I saw a couple of police cars doing a "chase" in town, it was hilarious: the guy in front was driving slower than my mother does.
Ciao,
Spokey

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2006 at 21:07
I think Ive raced your mother and lost
Robert Born
spokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 12:22
One rule for them, one rule for us.

Quote A policeman who broke the speed limit on his way to pick up a Chinese takeaway has escaped a speeding fine.

He was spotted by a motorist triggering a speed camera and then entering the Wickersley Cantonese takeaway, emerging minutes later with several bags of food.

Magistrates were told the takeaway had been ordered in advance.

I can see why that would be acceptable.

Quote Paul Smith, founder of the anti-camera group Safe Speed said: "The hypocrisy is absolutely breathtaking.

"It's clearly one law for them and another for the rest of us."

No sh!t, Sherlock. Still, I suppose we don't know all the facts, eh?
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic