Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDiagnostic check.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 20:08

Hi did they charge a diagnostics fee for deleting adaptions or was it more..?

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
Sponsored Links

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 22:08
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

The BMW ECU does both engine and gearbox, other cars there is a separate ECU for the gearbox.

No they haven't.
They have EGS for Autobox & DME/DDE for Engine but they do "talk" to each other...

BMWcare

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2006 at 06:41

Originally posted by studyolic studyolic wrote:

Beemaboy,
No, I have never tried disconnecting the battery, and I do not know if it will
delete adaptions; however I respect bmwcare's experience, and believe
him when he says it will not help with deleting adaptions.

Studyolic...my question was aimed at anyone in general to finally put this procedure to the test. I do not have an E39, so I cannot test it. I tested it on my E34 and it worked and improved a lot of the car running faults (eg:slight hesitation and high fuel consumption). I tracked this and confirmed it over a 1 week period. BMW assured me that this would do nothing for the car and that I would have to bring it to the dealer and pay him to reset it! This procedure works on an E32 BMW aswell as SHOGUN will confirm, as he originally suggested it!

I never take for gospel what a BMW dealership says anymore and always test or confirm it first ( been parted with too much of my money for stupid little reasons). The other day, when my drivers door key lock was broken into, I booked it into BMW to replace the lock cylinder only to be told that no one there knew how to install such a thing! I then went to another dealership and while I was talking to the guy at the service department, he asked me which door it was that needed the lock cylinder to be replaced. Was it the front or rear!!! How many BMW's do you see driving around with key lock cylinders in the back doors!!! So I now have to pay someone else to do it or do it myself! Not great PR in my opinion from the people who built the damn car. Had enless problems with my E30 aswell at BMW, until I just gave up!

I rest my case!

I also asked if anyone can finally confirm or bust this myth, simply because it is easier in future diagnosis for people on this forum.

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2006 at 20:12
Exharper

As far as I can tell from the bill, they just charged me a diagnostic fee which
included a reset;   £45.

Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic