Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNikasil, AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Youve took that too far man!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Betty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikasil, AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    Posted: 28-November-2006 at 04:04

Guys Im sorry in advance for seeming to be lazy but I have very limited time available to me at work to get myself on the web so any help here would be VERY gratefully appreciated, back to the point, Ive found SO many E36 328s going for good money and Id like to know what to look out for with regards to the Nikasil issue, i.e., is there any immediate visually identifiable or recognisable features on the engines or is it a code that gives the game away???

Also, now excuse my ignorance but where Nikasil engines rolled out across the globe or where they mostly aimed at a particular sector, i.e., Europe or the far east?????

And finally, what where the real problems about them??? Will living in a hotter climate make them more, or less desirable???

I know this issue has been covered to death on this site but any help, links to pages or sites containing pics if they are visually identifiable etc would help me out tremendously as Im seriously thinking about one instead of the wifes car, we only need one car as we both work at the same place and IM IN NEED OF A BMW FIX, I saw an AC Schnitzer E36 convertible going for good money and I think I could wrangle getting rid of her car if I showed her a rag top (see how I did that, EHH, always thinking, always thinking     ) its a 95 with 100k on the clock and its around the 4 grand mark.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

2009 45th anniversary Mustang GT / Black / 8 spark plugs / rubber tyres / twin exhaust / STOCK / pine magic tree :)
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 07:20

The nikasil affetced all E36 (& other mdels) built before April 98, if your car is registered after that, then no problems.  I believe it was only certain parts of the UK, due to the sulphur content in the fuel they had there.

Many cars were "repaired" by BMW under warranty I think, & if it has been done, it can be identified by a piece of metal (IIRC) bolted on to the block.  In all honeslty, any car running nowadys with a nikasil block that has not yet manifested any troubles, should be fine.

Have a look here

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 08:26

Nikasil affected M52 engined E36s. That covers the 328, 323 and late 325 and 320 i.e 95 cars.

I'm not sure about visual identifers on the engine but if you get the chassis number and contact BMW customer services they should be able to tell you if any engine work i.e a replacement block, has been carried out under warranty.

As far as I was aware the Nikasil issue only affected the UK.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

As far as I was aware the Nikasil issue only affected the UK.

I thought it affected the American market aswell???

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 10:10

Oops!!LOL.

Edited by vpricey
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 12:11
Vpricey, I think your replying to the wrong post...
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 17:38
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Nikasil affected M52 engined E36s. That covers the 328, 323 and late 325 and 320 i.e 95 cars.

The pre-'98 325 was an iron block M50. This was replaced by the 328. The later alloy block 325 was an M54 & only appeared in the E46 replacing the 323.

The M52's began in '95 with the 328 (& anything with the 2.8 motor). All alloy blocks in the M52 family were affected.

First blocks were replaced with Nikasil blocks, then steel liner'd blocks when that didn't work.

The M54 blocks (E46 330, 325 etc.) were Alusil coated.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 18:17
I heard that the last of the E36 325s and 320s also had Nikasil blocks. I could be mistaken though. 
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 19:24

Originally posted by Beemaboy Beemaboy wrote:

I thought it affected the American market aswell???

American cars didn't suffer the nikasil problem as they were fitted with steel lined blocks.

M52 = 320/323/328 (as AndyS pointed out) with a Nikasil alloy block made before 3/98 were prone to nikasil problem in the UK.

Cause: High sulphur in north sea refined fuel caused premature bore wear which showed as a bad idle and a lack of power. Only solution is a new block. That's not to say that all nikasil blocked M50 were affected tho...some have shown no signs of the problem..

Edited by Rossi
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 19:50
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 22:44
Quick tip,

Turn off all electrics etc. Start the car from cold with the door wide open. If the door vibrates markebly before settling down - walk away.

Only other option is to get a pressure test at your local garage or dealers, it may be that the work has allready been done, ie an allusil block has been fitted in place of the nikasil one. If there is no problems and it a nikasil block I doubt there is much concern now as long as you stay with decent fuels. Sometimes the block was replaced with another nikasil block in the early stages before the alusil ones came in.

Thats as much as I've leant anyway (I origionaly looked for an E38 740i of around '95 vintage - so read up on it a bit before getting the ti). I'm sure folks with more knowledge will put me right where I've gone wrong with the deatails.

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Black Betty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Youve took that too far man!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Betty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 04:26

WOW

What a response, thanks guys.

So basically I shouldnt worry as Im in the middle east ! ! !

Not sure on the purity of the petrol out here, but if I use the higher octane fuel thats available I should be OK, right ? ? ? ? the higher octane burns better so should eliminate the effects of high sulphur, correct me if Im wrong.

2009 45th anniversary Mustang GT / Black / 8 spark plugs / rubber tyres / twin exhaust / STOCK / pine magic tree :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic