Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeadlight change H7 E46 Coupe ’99

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .: KK 328Ci :. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight change H7 E46 Coupe ’99
    Posted: 05-December-2006 at 13:00

Alright fellas?  

I have a problem. . .the drivers side dipped beam has gone out on me and that can mean only one thing. . . I need to change it.   With all the darkness around this is urgent. 

I don't want to join the army of one headlamped maniac drivers that are all over our roads. 

Besides, I prefer to see where I am going, I find it's safer!

Is it simple on this car? (I've not looked at the headlamp unit yet even)

I was going to go for the Osram Silverstar +50% brighter.  Anyone got experiance of these over the OEM stock items?

There are Philips +80% which are available in 2-3 weeks and while I want them, I can't risk the wait.

- M3 mirrors - lip spolier - 3M tints - JL 500/1 & 300/2 - JL XR-650CSi comps. - Alpine 9835R - Sealed 10" JL W7 -
Sponsored Links

Gars Estoril View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gars Estoril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2006 at 13:26
Another option you could go for are a Xenon headlight conversion! Could cost around €250 though, or you could go for a complete headlight change to an oem Xenon headlight from an M3 or coupe!

After about 6 months i managed to find a set for my e46 saloon! just by chance i found them on e-bay the day before I went to the UK.

Headlights for a coupe would be easier to find as M3's came with Xenons as standard. But if you are going this Route you will need a software update by BMW to tell the car its now fitted with Xenons or they will flicker like strobe lights as I found out in the UK when I fitted mine!

Gareth
Present:'04 Estoril Blue e46 320d
Previous: '02 Topaz Blue 320d
.: KK 328Ci :. View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .: KK 328Ci :. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2006 at 15:00

Thanks Gareth, I have considered the Xenon route, but am half thinking of selling the ol' girl in the not too distant future so dont want to do this right now. 

The Xenon (or HID) kits are really dropping in price recently though. 

Anyway, it it simple to change the H7 bulb?  Or do I need to remove the water bottle/headlight trim?

Robin

- M3 mirrors - lip spolier - 3M tints - JL 500/1 & 300/2 - JL XR-650CSi comps. - Alpine 9835R - Sealed 10" JL W7 -
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2006 at 15:32

Robin I don't know if there is anything in the way of changing the bulb but if it's a tight squeeze to get your hand in then put some fishing line or thread through one of the holes in the pins of the bulb and hold both strands in your mouth. This way you can guide the bulb in without fear of it falling down in the engine bay somewhere. (this happened to me twice)

Also you should change both bulbs if you're changing brands.

Those Philips ones might be 100watt which are illegal for the road. 60watt max.  

Also buy some spare bulbs so you have them in the car in event of a failure.

Oh and remember not to touch the bulb glass with your fingers.

PS: Check your bulbs aren't H1's. Mine are H1's in the e36.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .: KK 328Ci :. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2006 at 16:29

Good idea with the fishing wire - thanks!

The new bulbs from Philips are called Extreme and claim to be +80% over OEM.  Out in 2/3 weeks and fully street legal, but sadly I can't wait.

I checked my headlamp fitment at Powerbulbs.co.uk who say H7, so fingers crossed it is correct.

Will have to get some rubber gloves from the petrol station so as not to touch the glass then!

thanks Alex for the advice!

Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .: KK 328Ci :. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2006 at 09:29

Slapped in ONE of the old Osram Silverstar +50% and a slight improvment over the stock item on the other side of the car.  The Stock item was replaced 12 months ago by BMW, so its not too 'old' a bulb.

Putting the other Osram bulb in later, just wanted to compare the 2.

I would suggest holding on for the Philips +80% fully legal if anyone is thinking of getting new bulbs.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic