Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI.C.E. stolen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I.C.E. stolen
    Posted: 12-December-2006 at 08:13

I couldn't believe someone broke into my car last night and the alarm is still armed this morning. Found it unusual when I unlocked the car and the interior lights didn't come on. And as soon as I sat on the seat I saw a big hole straight away in the middle 

Got the alarm from http://www.techstore.ie/cartech/webpages/caralarms/caralarms .htm just few weeks ago because of the DVD player I'm putting into and seems it didn't do the job at all!

Is there a point reporting to Garda at all? As I have to take the time off work to do so.

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 09:19
Bummer!
Why did the alarm not go off?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 09:22

Sorry to hear that

One thing strikes me staight away tho...(very suspicious)

Could this be an inside job from someone linked to the alarm fitters? Funny how the alarm never went off!  I'd report it to the local authorities, as this could be one of many similar incidents.

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 09:28
..oh, by not reporting it, you'll be giving the perpetrators an early christmas present.. . Surely your work will understand..
Claudio View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 10:16

my dads car alarm went haywire before and we called this company to fit it.So a guy showed up (after work hours) Looked a bit dodgy to me.He said the immobilser wass broke and he would have to order new parts and it would be a few days and he disconnected everything..strangely enough the car was robbed outside our house two days later and found wrecked in clondalkin.The same area the fitter was from..It was hardly just coincidence now was it.....If anyone is ever getting an alrm job done go to their workshop and dont let them call to you..

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 10:46
Report it.  Do you have the serial numbers?
Zion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:12

@Claudio

Did you mean the same guy from techstore.ie that come to fit your dad's car alarm or from different company?

@Fey!

Do you mean the serial number for the ICE is it?

I managed to get time off in the afternoon so I'll report it. It is indeed strange that the alarm really didn't go off and just the damage on the passenger door handle and they are in. Some people consider that I was lucky enough as the car is still in one piece and they didn't take the GPS unit I left accidentally in the car last night.

Guess I've learned a new lesson.

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:26
Report it for sure. You never know "if" the company have been reported for dodgyness before. Think you should also contact them about the fact the alarm never sounded, if the product doesnt do the job required then a refund should be in order. Take action my good man.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:32
Report if for sure. Also I'd go back to the alarm company and tell them the alarm didn't work and demand they replace your stereo and fix any damage. Demonstrate the door being opened and the alarm not going off. But check this is the case first.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
irishwoody View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:33

Yes - report it.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but similar happend to me several years ago.  Had just imported a toyota supra from japan and taken it to one of those tyre & exhaust places to have new tyres.  As car was just imported it had no lock nuts on wheels.  Got tyres and paid for them. Gave the guy my address for his computer and printing of invoice.  Two days later went out to find car on blocks all four wheels gone.  Not saying that the guy working in the tyre co had anything to do with it but he would have seen the lack of lock nuts and had my address....hmmm

Irishwoody

'06 X5 Comm.
'97 740
'97 523 For sale

Dublin
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:35

Zion, How are you for insurance..fully comp or what?

IMO You need to report it to them too.. once you have reported it to the Garda. They/you will fill in a form with an incident number which will need to be quoted to the insurance company.

Thing is, the insurance company will take over once the incident has been reported to the local authorities. Then it's off your hands...

Claudio View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:36
Zion @ It was a good few years ago ,I cannot remember the name but I dont think it was them,to be honest there are a lot of dodgy alarm fitters around and i would not trust them,just be weary with who you are dealing with...
Zion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 11:56

Thanks for all the advices. I am with Quinn Direct in fully comp but I've heard stories about them dealing with stolen stereos before. But still I'll report to them too.

Guess I'll have a busy afternoon now. It really creeps me out that my car basically is not secured at all at the moment if I park it anywhere.

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 12:08
Its a shame we cant get away with fitting an alarm i seen a while ago was flame thrower up the side of car if any one tried to jack whoosh goodness gracious great balls of fire. looked like side exhausts until a flick of the switch two music quotes in 1 paragraph James brown and AC/DC. Good combo

Edited by Bigian
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 12:13

I did mean the numbers from the ICE - makes them easier to trace.

Check with your neighbours about the alarm going off - IIRC they have to stop ringing after 15 minutes (or was it 30?).  Maybe it did go off but people just ignored it (happens a lot now, unfortunately).

What are you driving?  Did it not have deadlocks?

Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 13:50

Sorry to hear this happening again. It happened me back in 2000. I had a 306 van. HAd a good alarm fitted by a good company. The thievs smashed the drivers window and cleaned the car out. They took IBM system boards which were only valuable to me or IBM. They also took about 100 music cd's ( all originals) in a case. (that was the sore bit)

Its turned out that a faulty ultra sonic sensor was at fault.

When the Alarm people found this to be the case they told me to get a quote for the lost CD's from HMV, which I did and they gave me a cheque for 75% of the replacement value.

So the moral of the story is contact the Alarm compnay and demand satisfaction.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 17:38
the little darlings are learning about car alarms and house alarms while at their leisure in the like of st pat, the joy etc.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Tom Elliott View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 21:39
sorry to hear about this... i get into a bit of a rage when hear about peoples cars getting broken into .. i tend to start thinking bad thoughts about thieves
Zion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 00:47
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

I did mean the numbers from the ICE - makes them easier to trace.

Check with your neighbours about the alarm going off - IIRC they have to stop ringing after 15 minutes (or was it 30?).  Maybe it did go off but people just ignored it (happens a lot now, unfortunately).

What are you driving?  Did it not have deadlocks?

It's a E36 I have and the reason I could tell the alarm didn't go off is because if it did went off there'll be some extra beeps to tell what triggered it when I unlocked the car this morning. I've knocked few doors around where the car parked anyway just to double check and all of them didn't aware of any car alarm went off last night. Did check the alarm at work by opening the door with the car key while the alarm is still armed and it sounded straight away.

Visited the garda and done all the phone calls today and it seems that it definitely not worth for me to claim anything from the insurance. I'm yet still waiting for a call from the guy who fitted my car alarm after I've called the company this afternoon.

I don't know should I bother put back my old cd/mp3 player back to the car now even tho it's worth a lot less than the ICE but it's like they can just come and get it anytime

Edited by Zion
BM Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 08:15
Sorry to hear that - it is the season so we all should be a little more careful now. Scumbags are doing the Christmas thieving. 

Gardai can't / won't do anything, in most cases they probably know who the pr1ck is but he has been in so many times that its not worth the hassle anymore.

Time to give power to the people and allow use of such security devices as flame throwing alarms etc etc.  As you can tell, I have only one point of view on this and will not be swayed!!

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic