Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtyre sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tyre sizes
    Posted: 13-December-2006 at 11:20
Have a set of 8.5 x 17's for my e30 m3, have them months now and need to get tyres for them. Living in Ireland, or as they saw, in Rip off Republic, will be getting my tyres online. What size would you recommend? When I bought the tyres (back in may!!!) I think they guy said to fit 235/45/17s to it, I was wondering will this profile not look a bit big? or are these tyres too wide for the front? Will they rub the arches? Any help will be greatly appreciated
1990 BMW E30 M3
18" BBS Split Rims Trekmiester Suspension
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
Carbon Fibre DTM Mirrors (sweeeeet!!!)
Sponsored Links

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 11:36
Morgan

whats the offset of the wheels?
Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 13:07

Hi Morgan.

I have 17 inch style 5s running 225/35/17's all round. They look very well on the rim however the low profile made the gap between the top of the tyre and the front wheel arch look a little to big. I remedied this by fitting the H&R lowering springs all round and now it looks great (*I* Think). I run 5mm spacers on the front and I've not had any problems with them.

P.S - does that mean you'll now be selling the 18 inch S5s ????

First refusal please if you are...

All the best - Nick.

Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 13:10

Just noticed that you say the wheels are 8.5 inch - mine are 8s all round so I think 235s would be fine but I think 225s would stretch onto 8.5s ok also...!

Can't comment on rubbing issues on 235s but I dont have any with 225s....

Nick.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 13:46

215/40 17 front, these should be wider I know, 235/40 17 on rear 8j BBS RS's.

No rubbing, but rear arches have been rolled.

MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 13:51

Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

Morgan

whats the offset of the wheels?

Hi Eamon,

From what I remember they have a 13mm offset

1990 BMW E30 M3
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 13:56

Originally posted by Nico G Nico G wrote:

P.S - does that mean you'll now be selling the 18 inch S5s ????

First refusal please if you are...

All the best - Nick.

I think you might be right Nico G!!! Will be sad to see them go, they look the business, but they are not helping things with the car, will be on the look out in Jan for a set the same in 17s, with the narago centres. PM me in jan if you still interested and I'm sure we'll come to a reasonable outcome for everyone If u want photos sent let me know

1990 BMW E30 M3
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 15:08
Ok now me again upsetting everybody.

Correct sizes for the M3 in 17 inch:

215/40/17 front and 245/35/17 rear

215/40/17 ALL corners

slightly to small in diameter but still ok:
225/35/17 all corners

215/40 will be just ok on 8.5, 8inch or smaller would be better. With 245/35 on the rear oversteer is not your concern anymore. But still ok on the road.

Several times mentioned and fitted:
245/35/17 ALL corners. Yes they do fit at the front, but you need to keep an eye on the fenderl lips depending what offset rims you have. ET15 just, ET13 and less you need to roll a lot.

Sizes NOT recommended but still fitted buy some with more or less rubbing.
215/45/17, 235/40/17

Sized deffo too tall:
235/40/17 (front)
225/40/17 (if you can get that size)
225/45/17 (way to tall)

Any other combination (like 215/40 front and 235/40 rear) has different rolling diameters front to rear which doesn't seem to upset the M3's anti lock brakes.
But never say never....

Have a look yourself and use 205/55/15 as the "master" tyre

DON'T fit the 235/45 your guy recommended. Or you need to cut holes in you car to make them spin.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 16:31

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Sizes NOT recommended but still fitted buy some with more or less rubbing.
215/40/17, 235/40/17

Any other combination (like 215/40 front and 235/40 rear) has different rolling diameters front to rear which doesn't seem to upset the M3's anti lock brakes.
But never say never....

No rubbing on mine, lowered 30mm, arches rolled, but even before arches rolled only rubbed when loaded ie 4 up.

Ive had the car six years no prob's with ABS.

Only way to have no difference in rolling circumference is same size front and back or there will always be a difference of some description, be it +/-,  you've got -8mm diff front to rear ive got 16mm, assuming fronts and rear and new and same depth of tread.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 16:48
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Sizes NOT recommended but still fitted buy some with more or less rubbing. 215/40/17, 235/40/17 Any other combination (like 215/40 front and 235/40 rear) has different rolling diameters front to rear which doesn't seem to upset the M3's anti lock brakes. But never say never....

No rubbing on mine, lowered 30mm, arches rolled, but even before arches rolled only rubbed when loaded ie 4 up.

Ive had the car six years no prob's with ABS.

Only way to have no difference in rolling circumference is same size front and back or there will always be a difference of some description, be it +/-,  you've got -8mm diff front to rear ive got 16mm, assuming fronts and rear and new and same depth of tread.

sorry that was a typo, should read 215/45 not 215/40
(have corrected that in the post)
215/40 front and 245/35 rear are almost identical in rolling circumference.
And I didn't say you can't fit certain sizes. Read again please. It all depends on wheel offset and spring rates. But that is a lot of if's and whatever I would write there would be another "but if" situation. So I have just listed the most common sizes.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2006 at 17:36

225 45 17 definately do not fit - just tried it :-) but managed to sell the tyres on ebay for a small profit - just fited 215 40 17 toyo's

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2006 at 09:13
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate them all!!! Will get ordering today!!!!
1990 BMW E30 M3
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2006 at 09:16

Hey Martin (texas2201),

Nice collection of cars!!! Lucky b&*%$£#d!!!!

1990 BMW E30 M3
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
Timsteren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timsteren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2006 at 19:04

Hi Uwe,

nice post, thanks for the summary. Interesting to see that the 245/35s will fit on all 4 corners, will have to seriously think about that when its time to replace the tyres.

cheers, Tim.

texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2006 at 17:02

Hey Morgan

I gave up my company car quite a few years ago and every so often I get a loan and buy another car and pay for it out of my car allowance that I get from the company. Problem is I don't sell any of them once I get the new one

Drives my wife nuts and we have run out of garage space - also set up my own company so could be buying another one in the new year - so we are looking for a house with more garages and parking at the moment

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2006 at 17:11
Timsteren,

I have 245/35 on all corners on mine with the winter wheels (easier to clean(8 x 17)). The steering does not feel as lively as on the standard 16" rims, but it does grip in good weather! If the weather is truly crap though ie. snow I won't go out with these cos there is no grip.

When I was running standard ride height there were never any rubbing issues, but now it is lower it rubs occasionally when loaded. I have not had the arches rolled.

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by texas2201 texas2201 wrote:

Hey Morgan

I gave up my company car quite a few years ago and every so often I get a loan and buy another car and pay for it out of my car allowance that I get from the company. Problem is I don't sell any of them once I get the new one

Drives my wife nuts and we have run out of garage space - also set up my own company so could be buying another one in the new year - so we are looking for a house with more garages and parking at the moment

Martin

Genius!!!  you obviously are the chosen one, we can learn alot from you!!!

1990 BMW E30 M3
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic