Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 jumps out of 1st gear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 jumps out of 1st gear?
    Posted: 14-December-2006 at 20:23

Hey guys...

After 2 months sorting out the new engine for my beloved BMW I now have a minor problem that is actually pushing me right to the edge now!

The darn thing jumps out of 1st gear (only 1st) every so often. Thought it might be the gear knob that was wobbley and loose meaning I wasn't pushing it far enough into 1st, but have fitted a new one and it still does it. If I give it some revs to pull away it makes a loud bang noise as the shifter flies back into neutral.

What could this be?

Burning rubber??? I prefer to think of it as scorching tarmac!!!
Sponsored Links

steeldonkey View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2006 at 12:43

mate, not great news.

could be a couple of things, bent selector fork due to aggressive selection or seting on the stick.

bent or loose shift mech

missing tooth on 1st

or most likley worn or dammaged sycro on first gear(would be my most likely problem)

The //M3 fault rectification Manual
The hammer will fit it
The hammer will fix it
The hammer will make aftermarket parts fit
The hammer is my tool kit
RESPECT THE HAMMER
simonmcf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonmcf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2006 at 16:58
 possibly gear box bushings?
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 18:08
You need another gearbox!
What engine have you got?
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2006 at 22:15

Or.

it could be worn engine mounts, twisting the engine/gearbox?

Go for the easy / cheap option(s) first!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2006 at 08:12

I used to have this problem on my E30 320i. It had a gear lock fitted and the mounting plate was too thick and was stopping me pushing the gear selector knob into first gear. It would also suddenly jump out of first gear when I pulled off...sounded aweful, like I hit the whole gearbox with a brick... Put in a thinner plate and there were no problems...

As thepits says, look for the easy stuff...have you taken the leather boot off around the gear knob shaft and seen if there is anything fouling the movement, like a piece of wire or something like that?

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old shape! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2006 at 23:08

It could be as simple as an alignment of the selector mechanism...outside the gearbox.  They only need to be a mm or a degree out for this to happen.

However, you usually lose more than one gear, usually on the same linear position on the gate.

If you try holding the gearstick in, can you feel it being forced out of gear, (You would also feel a tooth missing this way) or is it just popping out?

Forced = possibly expensive.

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
Blackcat View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2006 at 22:05

Every time I put it in 1st I hold the gear stick until i've pulled away just to stop it jumping out. It doesn't feel like it's being forced out but if I don't hold it in hard enough it pops out and you kinda have to "crunch" it back in as the revs are up. It doesn't jump out every time but I hate it happening!

I'll check the obvious bits when I get a day off after xmas (i hate working in retail)

Burning rubber??? I prefer to think of it as scorching tarmac!!!
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 07:52
Originally posted by Blackcat Blackcat wrote:

Every time I put it in 1st I hold the gear stick until i've pulled away just to stop it jumping out. It doesn't feel like it's being forced out but if I don't hold it in hard enough it pops out and you kinda have to "crunch" it back in as the revs are up. It doesn't jump out every time but I hate it happening!

I'll check the obvious bits when I get a day off after xmas (i hate working in retail)

Pushing the gear lever back in to gear while the car is revving is going to stuff up your gearbox VERY quickly! When this happens, put your foot on the clutch, move the lever into neautral and with you foot on the clutch, push back into first or second. If you push the car into first gear without use of the clutch, you are grinding the internals of the gearbox against eachother!

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic