Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedair bag light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air bag light
    Posted: 02-January-2007 at 13:16

went through a pothole the other day and the air bag light appeared, so im assuming there is a loose connection.

are you able to check any of these things without doing more damage to the system or is it better just to get a diagnostic done on the car. think it needs a diognostic anyway as the engine management light was on for about a day then went off

Sponsored Links

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 14:12

You will have to take it to the dealer to get the Airbag light reset anyway, so may aswell get a diag done at the same time...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 17:14
so even if there isn't still a fault with the air bag the light will still be showing?

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2007 at 07:12

Originally posted by jamsieboi jamsieboi wrote:

so even if there isn't still a fault with the air bag the light will still be showing?

Sorry, but yes this is the case. Happens on all sorts of things. There are guys on here who have unplugged the seat occupancy sensor and set the light off. After they plug it back in, the light still stays on. That is why if you do any troubleshooting work on the SRS Airbag system, ALWAYS unplug the battery. I have often though that a cheap, aftermarket reset tool would be great for this type of problem...

You could maybe try and find an indy who could have the reset tool?

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2007 at 13:50

well as i said before i really need a diagnostic done on it anyway, but hopefully it will just be a loose connection and need resetting.

Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 13:17
Bloody airbag light...
BMW 328i SE (E46/M52TU - I think) 99/T
bingus666 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingus666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2007 at 11:49
mine went on going round a corner & turned out it the slip ring busted... :(
318IS Coupe mtec
Ford Thunderbird Coupe V6

((oo==oo))
they mostly come out at night, mostly...
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2007 at 13:07
A tool that can reset airbag lights without diagnosing the reason for them would be too much of a legal headache for the manufacturer IMO.

Most system diagnostic lights latch, as otherwise an intermittent fault would continually make the light go on and off!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic