Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCental locking problems (E38)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cental locking problems (E38)
    Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:02

I have a friend whose E38 735 has had a growing problem with one of the central locking actuators, in a rear door.  He sent the car in to his mechanic to have it changed, and needless to say, it has failed in the locked position.  Does anyone have any bright ideas about what to do, other than try and get the door interior trim off and get at it from there?

The mechanic is suggesting cutting a hole in the door iteslf from outside, as repairing this would be cheaper than a torn interior panel.  This seems a bit drastic to me though.  All ideas gratefully received.

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Sponsored Links

Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2007 at 13:28
Move the seat all the way forward, remove the single screw from the door actuator handle and very carefull start to prise the interior panel off from the front edge along the bottom then lying along the floor work up the two sides and it does come off if care is taken.
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 19:45

Chaps,

Met him for lunch on Friday.  As we had been to a business meeting, I was wearing a suit, "which was nice" as the saying goes.

Had to start at the top of the trim panel for removal, as the front, bottom and rear were very effectively held in by the lip on the apperture on the car.  Removal a cynch when open, but a different story when closed!

Managed to get the top unclipped, and then forced my hand down between door and trim panel, gradually un-popping the fasteners, and teasing the panel out from where it was held fast by the closed door.  Not easy at all, and my hand now feels like it's been run over.  Got the panel off and then the fun started groping around within the door to release the lock.  Managed to do this, and his mechanic has subsequently fitted new lock and actuator, to be on the safe side.  Bit of a PitA job though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic