Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked17 or 18 - ride quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xabi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 or 18 - ride quality
    Posted: 14-January-2007 at 22:43

Hi,

I want to change my current 16" wheels to MV2s.  I dont want any ride quality issues so am thinking 17".  What difference would 18" MV2s make to the ride quality?  Does anyone have experiences of this?

X.

Sponsored Links

Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2007 at 22:55

E36, E46?

Whichever, I guess you really know the answer. If you keep the same rolling radius of the tyre and increase the wheel size the sidewall has to get less.

IMO 17" rims give a much firmer ride and with 18" rims the ride is quite jarring, albeit only experienced it with sports suspension.

Don't ask me what I think of 18" rims with "run-flats" on.

Edited by Lancastrian
E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
mickstreet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 20:24
Got 18" on mine and the ride seems to be ok. It has the sport suspension too. I guess it could be better but I have never thought of it as an issue.
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 20:34
Got 17s on my 328 (E46) and sports suspension I thought the ride on that was firm.....and considering 18s but not sure my rear or the wife n kids could take it!!
Big Stuff View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2007 at 10:56
As mines firm on 17's i have'nt gone to 18's but im tempted looks wise. Try and get a go in one running 18's if possible to compare.
2002 330ci SE - Factory Straight - Now gone cause am skint and in a wee diesel - Aw naw - boo hoo
pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pm9575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2007 at 11:17
With the 3 series, whether e36 or e46, the ride quality will be good - not too much side wall flex with 18's generally compared with the 16", but you will have to live with the increased cost of rubber, and tram-lining, & road noise are always more pronounced with the likes of 18" directional tyres (the most common style sold nowadays). You can reduce tramlining a little by buying 'winter tyres' as these tend to have a more 'block' affect tread pattern - but again you can pay more. The cost of replica MV2's is so little nowadays - it pays to spend more on the better brand of tyre anyway. Or buy somone's original MV1's which are a real pain to clean - so are often up for sale. I run 18's on my e36 and Schnitzer lowered suspension - the ride quality is fine, 'compliant' infact.

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
Ady530i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady530i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2007 at 18:06

got 18s on mine the ride is a bit hard but ive lowered it 20/30.

ady   

93 (K) E34 530i V8, Granite silver, black leather, a/c, 18" M-Para's, clear indicators, s/s exhaust, angels, black grille
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sohlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2007 at 00:42

Have an e46 320ci with sports suspension and standard 16" wheels. The ride was a little wooley. Upgraded to 17" rims and the ride quality is similar, but in hard cornering you get more feedback. Then bought a 320d sport touring to replace and hate the ride quality. Car tramlines badly and pulls left and right. The touring's suspension is fine and the tyres are new. So asked friend who owned a 330d sport touring to drive and he said his was the same. Now the tourings are worse then the saloons and the coupes, but IMO 17's are perfect 18's are horrid and i won't be buying another sport now due to my exsperience.

Needless to say i am keeping the 320 coupe and the 320d is being advertised shortly.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
mickstreet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2007 at 13:15
Mine does tramline which can be annoying on uneven, narrow roads but I don't really have a problem with it. To be honest it's a blessing in disguise as my missus drove the car and didn't like it at all so won't now drive it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic