Forum LockedE30s: 318 vs 323 and 325

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30s: 318 vs 323 and 325
    Posted: 12-October-2003 at 22:25
i have a 318, next year i want a 323, is there a big difference in performance/mpg? also, does the 325i pee all over the 323i? i would like to get a 323i because i like the old school e30s and the insurance for a 325 would be astronomical...
Sponsored Links

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2003 at 22:48
323i is a waste of time - I had one. Not much better than a 320i and most are just rusty, knackered old turds. 325i is the only way to go. Especially automatic with PAS!
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2003 at 23:15
As Andyboy said,but sod the auto box,get a manual!

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 09:04
There are 3 E30's worth considering, either a 318is with 136BHP, a 325isport with 170 BHP or an E30 M3 with 195-236BHP. The M3 is the most exspensive to run and insure, the 325isport is almost as quick, but is cheaper to buy run and insure and the 318is is a mini M3 with very spritley performance. A 323i is not worth getting unless you get the earlier E21 3 series, in which case you either want to get the later model 323's which have 150bhp, or one that has had a full 2.7 engine conversion from a 525e that is running 200BHP. Another thought is to buy an early Alpina C1 on an E30 which will be good fun.
Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 09:30
BMW 325I SE 1988
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 10:13
okay... so its either the newer 318is or a 325i............... ill check out what the magic number on insurance is
dannywig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 19:50

I would also consider a 320i. They sound so much nicer than the 318is and 325i in my opinion. They're not as slow as people think either, my 320i is pretty nippy I think. But if performance is the be all and end all then go for the 325i. I wouldn't buy a 318is just bacuase it's only a four pot, I love the sound of the straight six, it's a really lovely sound. But I've heard 318is' are really good fun, would like to have a go in one.

Edited by dannywig
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 21:22
Originally posted by dbanbery dbanbery wrote:

okay... so its either the newer 318is or a 325i............... ill check out what the magic number on insurance is

My E30 325i - with loads of Mtec bits - is still for sale!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 21:58
I had a 320 I thought it was quite quick.Got to get it up top end of the rev counter though.

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 23:05
Autos are slightly BETTER on fuel!! Gearing is taller because they have a taller diff and a lock up on the torque converter. Plus an autobox can change gear faster than any human. If I had to drive a 325i every day, I would never consider a manual when the switchable automatic is so good. Performance on the auto is just as good too. I used to manually shift my old 323i auto, leaving it in 3rd for 'spirited' driving! The thing about automatics is that after a month with one, you get so dependent on it that driving a manual becomes a pain in the arse........I love 'em!
Gary Y View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 23:21
Got to agree with Andyboy! I own an E34 535i Sport Auto and it is a dream to drive. All you do is switch it to Sport and watch it fly! My sister-in-law, who also posts on here, has just been clever enough to buy herself an E30 325i convertible. I must admit it is a very tight car, with great acceleration and a lovely sound from the straight six engine (and it is manual!). The 535i sport is an easy car to drive with the auto box, but still has enough get up and go when you need it.
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 23:25

Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

Autos are slightly BETTER on fuel!! Gearing is taller because they have a taller diff and a lock up on the torque converter. Plus an autobox can change gear faster than any human. If I had to drive a 325i every day, I would never consider a manual when the switchable automatic is so good. Performance on the auto is just as good too. I used to manually shift my old 323i auto, leaving it in 3rd for 'spirited' driving! The thing about automatics is that after a month with one, you get so dependent on it that driving a manual becomes a pain in the arse........I love 'em!

I beg to differ on this one, If auto's were so good than all race cars would have them. Yes BMW auto are better than most and arguable in heavy traffic they may return good fuel consumption, but a well driven manual will be faster to change gear, better on fuel and ultimately more satisfying to drive. The biggest problem with an Auto is that an engineer has decided when you will and will not change gear, and this bears no relation to whats on the road, how you wish to drive etc. I have to say i hate auto's, which in my opinion spoil many a good car. But each to there own.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 01:52

The autos are heavier on fuel as they drain more power from the engine, newer autos circa year 2k are much more efficient and can be faster than a manual car with an average driver at the wheel.

As for race cars having them i think that would take some more of the skill factor out of racing which would make it even more dull than it is now, could you imagine automatic formula one cars, expensive go karts and the drivers would probably fall asleep at the wheel.

Autos are good if you don't like the effort involved with changing gear, all down to personal taste, i prefer to be more involved with the car and have more control over what it does, but then again driving an auto when your tired can be lovely.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 09:03
Originally posted by paul325i paul325i wrote:

As for race cars having them i think that would take some more of the skill factor out of racing which would make it even more dull than it is now, could you imagine automatic formula one cars......

They already are Automatic Formula 1 Cars !
The gear changing is automatically set for each circuit, and all the driver has to do is sit there! No chance of missing a gear or over-reving! B O R I N G .....
Now ASCAR / NASCAR, there's a proper MANS Racing Car!!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 11:31

Formula one cars are auto?  Whats the paddle shift for then?

Agree with NASCAR being mans sport, although formula one cars sound fantastic.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 13:30
The problem with auto boxes is that they delay throttle response. The modern locking boxes are better but they only lock in higher gears. You also can't heel and toe. And you have to be very skilled in changing gear manually for them to be controlled (avoiding unwanted up and down shifts).

Notice the F1 cars and the semi-automatic gearboxes on the road are adapted manual boxes.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 14:46
E30 325i; mpg on urbaqn cycle 22.6 mpg manual, 22.6 automatic. At constant 75mph 34.4 manual, 34 auto. Both cars do the same MPG and I always found that autos were better around town on light throttle.
Kick down on the 4 speed autos is instant, especially in Sport. Heel and toe? Never used it on the road or track. I learned how to do it but found it a waste of time so don't bother.
Anybody who thinks an automatic 325i is a gutless, thirsty sludgebox should try one for a month. I've found autos to be faster in most real world situations as opposed to on paper figures. Rather than farting about with clutch and gearchanging when coming up to a bendy bit in the road, isn't it just easier to let the gearbox do all the work?!
Mind you, a 318i Auto is pretty grim and you need a big engine to make it work.
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 17:06
autos are too easy to drive, and good if you really wanna push the car to its limits safely i think, as you have more time to concentrate on bends etc..... i drove an auto when i was learning (a4 1.9tdi) and i found myself felling more confident..... a manual is faster than an automatic, because even though an auto knows when to change gear for the engine, it doesnt know what the road is like (surface/hill/weather)... but again it depends on what kind of driver you are..... i would have an auto as a curtesy car or a lend out because its a nice change..... but i think i would find myself gettin lazy
graham325isport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 17:32
I have always had manuals but I bought my 325 Sport thinking it was a manual( long Story )and it was a switchable auto box. I must say it was the best thing I ever did! The car is so responsive in kick down and sport mode, but like everyone says its a matter of taste

Edited by graham325isport
alanw15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2003 at 19:25

BMW 325I SE 1988
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic