FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedURGENT HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: URGENT HELP!
    Posted: 09-February-2007 at 21:58
RedOctober - again a brilliant read - totally agree with you on the electrical soldering issues - My job is a telephone engineer and spent many a day soldering/fixing bad soldering joints (Also chipped about 20 or so PS1's ) - going back a few years now!

I had service light issue on my 316 where I could have sorted the batteries out but never got round to it. Although not all E34's have the battery under the rear seat my 530 V8 did, and had a fuse blow (passenger side) which stopped the central looking and windows working (can't remember which one) but a quick replace under the rear seats fixed this.

Halfrauds are silly prices - if your going to replace them all are you going for cheapo or decent/expensive?

Anyway lots of points there and again like I've told you, you should write a book !

Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Sponsored Links

studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2007 at 18:05
Thanks, interesting post!
Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2007 at 17:52

I never looked at pixel-fading problems, as my cars were all the older ones that didn't have displays with pixels-apart from the 3 E34's I've had with the head-up dash display, and they were never a problem in the E34's I owned.

I've had failing speedo's, failed ECU's, intermittent central locking, failed E34 instrument cluster, the good old E28/E30 NiCad service indicator battery problems, intermittent relays, failed central locking etc.

My first ever BMW was an E30 325i, and that died on me one day, requiring breakdown recovery home. The AA checked for a spark at the coil (present), but when he plugged a small 'noid light' into the fuel injector connectors on the inlet manifold, there was no output, so he diagnosed failed ECU and towed me home.

I removed the ECU, opened it, and saw 2 circuit boards. One contained the low-power components, ignition/fuelling EPROM maps etc, and the second board contained the high-power output transistors which actually drive the ignition coil and fuel injectors.

I noticed on one of the output transistors a fractured solder joint on the PCB, so I re-made the joint with a soldering iron, went over all 'fragile' looking joints, and re-fitted the ECU. The car fired up fine, and was fine for the next couple of years before I px'd it for a 635CSi.

Another 325i had a failed speedo, so I removed the instrument cluster and discovered a failed solder joint on a capacitor that coupled the speedo signal from the sensor on the final drive to the speedo PCB. Again, re-making the joing fixed the problem.

One problem I've noticed is that the solder joints seem to have been made using the minimum amount of solder, which leads to a mechanically weak joint that can fail in later life, especially with the constant heat, cold, and vibration in a car.

I had a main ECU relay go intermittent on an E30 318i (M40 engine) which would cause sudden engine cut-outs. It wasn't the usual fuel pump relay either-that was ok! The ECU relay contacts had glazed over, shutting off the ECU. I opened up the relay and rubbed very fine Wet-or-Dry across the relay contacs, which cleaned them and cured the fault.

Most of the faults cost nothing to repair-just time and effort. In general, electronic components themselves are very reliable and rarely fail unless overloaded with power etc.

What almost always causes the problems are contacts, plugs, connectors etc. Water ingress can corrode electrical contacts, leading to intermittent failures, especially in door wiring harnesses, which are subject to mechanical vibration and water ingress, causing problems with central locking and electric windows/mirrors, not to mention the constant flexing of the wiring harness each time the door is opened-if you look carefully, you'll see the harness 'staggered' as it goes from the door itself to the door pillar, to minimise this flexing.

Even a carelessly installed stereo can cause havoc with dashboard wiring harnesses. A common fault when fitting car stereos is to just bunch up the excess wiring and force the stereo into the dash.

On many BM's, there is hardly any spare clearance behind the dash, so what happens is the metal sides/corners of the stereo chafe and break the wiring behind the dash, causing all sorts of problems.

So don't let any old Joe fit a stereo to a BMW! If you are doing it yourself, make sure excess cable is neatly arranged below the level of the stereo before you push it all the way into the dash.

In extreme cases, with exceptionally ham-fisted installers, it has been known for a stereo to be pushed into the dash with so much force that it has cut clean through the vehicle wiring harness behind the dash.

I work in the electronics repair industry on aviation equipment, and see all kinds of faults in my line of work, many of which could have been avoided with a bit of care!

On the subject of missing pixels, this can be due to poor contact between the display edge and display driver panel. Sometimes, depending on the mechanical layout, you can wedge bits of cardboard in to 'force' the display panel onto the driver panel and improve contact, but it's not an exact science and can be down to luck of the draw.

E34's, and many modern BM's, are stuffed with fuses and relays all over the car. If you remove the rear seat squab base on an E34 (it just lifts up with a sharp tug at the front edges), you'll see the main vehicle battery on the drivers side, and a large box of fuses and relays on the passenger side, as well as the main fuse and relay box under the bonnet, and yet more relays behind the glove box etc!

The E34's have a headlight control module in the main underbonnet fuse box, and this is stuffed full of small relays soldered to a PCB. I once had an E34 535i with intermittent dipped beams, which turned out to be (again) fractured solder joints in this module. Re-soldering them effected a complete cure, although it took a while to locate the fault, which is the main bugbear with electrical faults, especially the truly hateful intermittent ones, which are truly a nightmare to locate.

So next time a garage tells you that you need a new ECU/Control Module costing hundreds, the reality is that they send your failed module for repair, where a technician will almost certainly effect a repair costing very little. The components that have failed will be replaced, and will probably not cost much at all if they're standard power transistors etc. They will be 'known' faults, so ample spares will be stocked, and failed joints will be re-soldered for very little cost, whilst you get presented with a ridiculous bill for a new Control Unit.

Even when complex switchable autoboxes fail, it's not always the mechanical parts failing-electrical glitches can cause the problems as well, especially on the main electrical plug that connects the autobox to it's dedicated ECU, as this lies underneath the car, and exposed to all the elements/vibrations etc.

Some sort of working knowledge of electronics is extremely helpful for BMW ownership, as even the very old ones were much more electrically complicated than equivalent Fords or Vauxhalls of the day. BMW nailed their flag of allegiance to 'Servant Sparks' long before other car manufacturers.

I once had another E30 325i where the previous owner had lived in Hungary and changed the headlamps for Europe. When I went for an MOT the tester told me the headlamps were pointing the wrong way, and had the car been abroad?

I sourced a set of UK headlamps and set about fitting them. Turns out the last owner had fitted the European spec headlights and wired them by just twisting the wire ends together to the loom and using a bit of insulation tape-I was able to pull them apart with my fingers!

Not good on a joint carrying around 5 Amps-fire hazard just waiting to happen. I used inline solder joints and heatshrink tubing to wire in the UK headlamps, then loomed the wires neatly. Not a quick job, though, but then doing things properly never is...

Alex

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2007 at 07:11
RedOctober,

when you say you've opened up instrument clusters, does that mean you've
had a go at the common pixel-fading problem? I saw a post recently with a
link to how to do this. As you say, it's all down to bad contacts, not the
LEDS themselves failing. But it means taking the instrument console out,
and taking the needles off . . . . . . . . .
Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2007 at 22:09

Yes RedOctober, you are correct, it was an original fuse so about 13 years old. My first thought was that the fuse was just old (well that was my hope as I dreaded anything else being the cause of the fuse blowing!) I may change all the other original fuses (must be about 40 or so!) with brand new ones, just to be sure. May save a headache in the long run!

Cheers for all the input chaps I live to drive another day! Another great reason for this great forum!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2007 at 19:41

I've had a few problems with some of the original BMW fuses. The fuel pump fuse in my E34 525i became intermittent, and in my E34 540i the heated rear screen fuse under the rear seat just melted.

Seems they are manufactured by crimping the main connectors over a piece of fuse wire. Over the years the point of contact between the fuse wire and crimp connect ages, corrodes, and becomes intermittent/high resistance, as they are fully exposed to air.

New fuses of a 1-piece design seem to cure this.

Sudden starting problems almost always seem to be electrical in nature and BMW's, being stuffed full of electronics, suffer many electrical 'glitches' in later life.

A great many of these are simple 'connection' faults-dirt, corrosion etc. Relays glaze over their contacts, causing all kinds of intermittent mayhem and engines cutting out for no reason.

In many cases the cure is cheap and simple-it's the time expended to track the damned faults down that costs in labour, especially the intermittent faults.

Over the years I've had intermittent relays causing engine cut-outs, intermittent central locking due to corrosion in the door electrical plugs, failing lights due to light corrosion on the bulb holders, intermittent fuses, failed solder joints on ECU's, instrument clusters-the list goes on!

In virtually all of the cases, a good clean-up of electrical contacts works wonders, followed by a very gentle brushing of external contacts with grease and a small modellers paintbrush to ward off corrosion. I repaired failed ECU's and instrument clusters by opening them up and just having a very close look at the circuit cards, before re-making suspect joints with a soldering iron.

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2007 at 11:08
Glad you got it sorted - thanks for keeping us update
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 23:20
Glad to hear you got it sorted Mike. time to check the others as well while you're at it non?
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:57

they may in the spare tyre, maybe handy for road rage incidents too.

Not that i recommend such actions of course....

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:54

Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

You like your nails!!!!!!!!!! perhaps we should start a bmw survival kit to insert in to the tool box in the boot. A nice set of B&Q assorted nails, all different lenghts and thickness. This should ensure we have the ultimate driving experience. As long as they dont get in the tyres

If we all keep them in the toolbox in the boot then they wouldn't get in our tyres

You need to grade them by length, thickness, and resistance

Ideal for any event - never be immobile at the side of the road again.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:43

You like your nails!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps we should start a bmw survival kit to insert in to the tool box in the boot. A nice set of B&Q assorted nails, all different lenghts and thickness. This should ensure we have the ultimate driving experience. As long as they dont get in the tyres

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:38

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

With fingers crossed, I replaced the fuse...

...with a nail  

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:36
good news, Mike.

Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

You have reason to smile, it cost nothing but a fuse!!!!!!!

and now you can do donuts in the snow tomorrow..........cant wait!!!

*in the voice of homer simpson* "mmmmm, dohnuts!"

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:00

You have reason to smile, it cost nothing but a fuse!!!!!!!

and now you can do donuts in the snow tomorrow..........cant wait!!!

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 21:52

Have you ever had one of those moments where you can't see the wood for the trees?

I thought about fuel pump failure, the crank sensor getting soaked, loose wires or pipes I may have knocked when changing my thermostat etc. Printing off all the checks I should perform from my TIS CD. Then I got home, got it all sorted in my head in the order I should check everything. My first port of call was to remove the fuel pump fuse i and crank the engine so I could drain the engine of excess fual that may have caused flooding.

I located the fuse and hey presto, the damn thing had blown! Good news I had found the fault, but what caused the fuse to blow?

The fuse was one of the old style ones where instead of looking through the see through plastic, it was solid in colour and had the wire exposed across the top so I figured it may have been the original fuse and under the stress of 13 years of engine vibrations and constant hot/cold conditions it may have just been weak and therefore unable to carry the amps.

With fingers crossed, I replaced the fuse and cranked the engine and straight away it started. I took her up the road for a quick blast up the dual carraigeway (mainly to re-charge the battery after all that cranking) and not a problem.

I can only assume my theory of it being an old and worn fuse was correct.

After my recent thermostat and fuse problem, all seems well again and I can now do lots of this>>

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 21:08
Please report your findings on this as my e39 was doing the exact same thing - I checked the maf, cleaned the other bits near to this - even put a Wynnes injector stuff after I filled it up (waste of a fiver)

Sold the car over the weekend (few) - but told the dude about the fault.
If you revved the engine it seemed fine, it you revved it slightly/quick it would then go lumpy and cut out!

BTW - I'm driving to glasgow tomorrow, 230 miles - should be interesting
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 20:45

It m ay not be flooded but if it has been turned over loads then the spark plugs are going to have to come out and dried off with a little oil poured down the holes. and then do the fuel pump fuse malrky, when the car is spluttering then push the fuse in with the other hand.

Was it moved or started and then stoped, if not then its probably not this but i did this ages ago to the let the misses out and the RAC sorted and show me how to do it. Good luck......

I have to travel an hour to work so hopeing for a "cant get to work" moment in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 19:23

LOL@ exharper! yes but I still have works van to try and drive!

I'm about to battle minus 1 now and try a few things. Wish me luck!

I'll report my findings.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 19:06

Are sure it is not flooded as this sounds very familiar to what i did ages ago. Was the car moved and switched off for a short while. Try and pull the fuel pump fuse out and then turn the key, it may spit for a while depending on how bad it is and how much you have all ready turned it over......

Dont worry anyway as all the roads will be closed by 8 am as the uk would have more than 2 cm of snow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic