Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedURGENT HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: URGENT HELP!
    Posted: 07-February-2007 at 12:11

I have an e34 540 V8 (M60 engine)

I fitted a thermostat to it yesterday. All ok, wife used it for work, everything fine. This morning it turned over, fired then died. I have tried it again and again and still the same. It was showing 30 miles left on the OBC of fuel so just in case I put 15 litres in, still nothing.

It sounds to me like fuel starvation as the battery is perfect. The crank sensor did have a large quantity of coolant leak onto it and I have to disconnect the MAF lead to get to the thermostat, but apart from that, I can't think of anything else I've disturbed.

Please help!!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 12:20
Have you tried leaving the MAF unplugged? A bad MAF can make the
engine die; an unplugged MAF will allow it to run, just not terribly
efficiently.
Otherwise, I can only think of the fuel pressure regulator off the top of my
head.

Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 12:25

Originally posted by studyolic studyolic wrote:

Have you tried leaving the MAF unplugged? A bad MAF can make the
engine die; an unplugged MAF will allow it to run, just not terribly
efficiently.
Otherwise, I can only think of the fuel pressure regulator off the top of my
head.

Cheers for the quick reply, yes I did try the MAF unplugged, no change!

Any ideas where I find the fuel pressure regulator and how to test it!??

Mike

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 14:53

Have you tried unplugging the crank sensor and checking if there is any coolant in the connection plug? Could be causing a dodgy connection?

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 19:02
Mike,

have a look at the last post on the thread "pressure Regulator Valve "   by
Exharper.
Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 19:06

Are sure it is not flooded as this sounds very familiar to what i did ages ago. Was the car moved and switched off for a short while. Try and pull the fuel pump fuse out and then turn the key, it may spit for a while depending on how bad it is and how much you have all ready turned it over......

Dont worry anyway as all the roads will be closed by 8 am as the uk would have more than 2 cm of snow

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 19:23

LOL@ exharper! yes but I still have works van to try and drive!

I'm about to battle minus 1 now and try a few things. Wish me luck!

I'll report my findings.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 20:45

It m ay not be flooded but if it has been turned over loads then the spark plugs are going to have to come out and dried off with a little oil poured down the holes. and then do the fuel pump fuse malrky, when the car is spluttering then push the fuse in with the other hand.

Was it moved or started and then stoped, if not then its probably not this but i did this ages ago to the let the misses out and the RAC sorted and show me how to do it. Good luck......

I have to travel an hour to work so hopeing for a "cant get to work" moment in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 21:08
Please report your findings on this as my e39 was doing the exact same thing - I checked the maf, cleaned the other bits near to this - even put a Wynnes injector stuff after I filled it up (waste of a fiver)

Sold the car over the weekend (few) - but told the dude about the fault.
If you revved the engine it seemed fine, it you revved it slightly/quick it would then go lumpy and cut out!

BTW - I'm driving to glasgow tomorrow, 230 miles - should be interesting
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 21:52

Have you ever had one of those moments where you can't see the wood for the trees?

I thought about fuel pump failure, the crank sensor getting soaked, loose wires or pipes I may have knocked when changing my thermostat etc. Printing off all the checks I should perform from my TIS CD. Then I got home, got it all sorted in my head in the order I should check everything. My first port of call was to remove the fuel pump fuse i and crank the engine so I could drain the engine of excess fual that may have caused flooding.

I located the fuse and hey presto, the damn thing had blown! Good news I had found the fault, but what caused the fuse to blow?

The fuse was one of the old style ones where instead of looking through the see through plastic, it was solid in colour and had the wire exposed across the top so I figured it may have been the original fuse and under the stress of 13 years of engine vibrations and constant hot/cold conditions it may have just been weak and therefore unable to carry the amps.

With fingers crossed, I replaced the fuse and cranked the engine and straight away it started. I took her up the road for a quick blast up the dual carraigeway (mainly to re-charge the battery after all that cranking) and not a problem.

I can only assume my theory of it being an old and worn fuse was correct.

After my recent thermostat and fuse problem, all seems well again and I can now do lots of this>>

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:00

You have reason to smile, it cost nothing but a fuse!!!!!!!

and now you can do donuts in the snow tomorrow..........cant wait!!!

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

You have reason to smile, it cost nothing but a fuse!!!!!!!

and now you can do donuts in the snow tomorrow..........cant wait!!!

*in the voice of homer simpson* "mmmmm, dohnuts!"

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:36
good news, Mike.

Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:38

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

With fingers crossed, I replaced the fuse...

...with a nail  

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:43

You like your nails!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps we should start a bmw survival kit to insert in to the tool box in the boot. A nice set of B&Q assorted nails, all different lenghts and thickness. This should ensure we have the ultimate driving experience. As long as they dont get in the tyres

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:54

Originally posted by Exharper Exharper wrote:

You like your nails!!!!!!!!!! perhaps we should start a bmw survival kit to insert in to the tool box in the boot. A nice set of B&Q assorted nails, all different lenghts and thickness. This should ensure we have the ultimate driving experience. As long as they dont get in the tyres

If we all keep them in the toolbox in the boot then they wouldn't get in our tyres

You need to grade them by length, thickness, and resistance

Ideal for any event - never be immobile at the side of the road again.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 22:57

they may in the spare tyre, maybe handy for road rage incidents too.

Not that i recommend such actions of course....

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 23:20
Glad to hear you got it sorted Mike. time to check the others as well while you're at it non?
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2007 at 11:08
Glad you got it sorted - thanks for keeping us update
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2007 at 19:41

I've had a few problems with some of the original BMW fuses. The fuel pump fuse in my E34 525i became intermittent, and in my E34 540i the heated rear screen fuse under the rear seat just melted.

Seems they are manufactured by crimping the main connectors over a piece of fuse wire. Over the years the point of contact between the fuse wire and crimp connect ages, corrodes, and becomes intermittent/high resistance, as they are fully exposed to air.

New fuses of a 1-piece design seem to cure this.

Sudden starting problems almost always seem to be electrical in nature and BMW's, being stuffed full of electronics, suffer many electrical 'glitches' in later life.

A great many of these are simple 'connection' faults-dirt, corrosion etc. Relays glaze over their contacts, causing all kinds of intermittent mayhem and engines cutting out for no reason.

In many cases the cure is cheap and simple-it's the time expended to track the damned faults down that costs in labour, especially the intermittent faults.

Over the years I've had intermittent relays causing engine cut-outs, intermittent central locking due to corrosion in the door electrical plugs, failing lights due to light corrosion on the bulb holders, intermittent fuses, failed solder joints on ECU's, instrument clusters-the list goes on!

In virtually all of the cases, a good clean-up of electrical contacts works wonders, followed by a very gentle brushing of external contacts with grease and a small modellers paintbrush to ward off corrosion. I repaired failed ECU's and instrument clusters by opening them up and just having a very close look at the circuit cards, before re-making suspect joints with a soldering iron.

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic