Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked540 buying advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 buying advice
    Posted: 18-December-2002 at 01:05
I'm thinking about buying an E34 540 next year, but am a bit unsure as I'm not going to have loads of cash immediately available if it goes Pete Tong. I've been looking at some for around the 7 grand mark (1995-96 age). Are there any pearls of wisdom anyone can can let me know about regarding buying the beast? And also, is it a bad idea and are the other V8 5-series a better buy as far as I'm concerned?
Sponsored Links

Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 18:40

I have a 1996 E34 540i so can give you some guidance if you want. I'll probably sell it around the summer so if you are in the market then, you might want to take a look at it.

Let me know what you want to know.

Nigel

mark m power View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 00:21
great great car had a95 sport 540 last year and changed it for a m5 very hard on fuel though 12 15 mpg u will buy one a lot cheaper than 67000 they are gettin old now but i love them beware of the engine problems ie blocks etc and check for full dealer history not fred in the shed servicing it hope u find one
many thanks mark
Steve W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2003 at 16:04

Above all look for a history as said above. The ideal situation is to have one with a new Alusil block fitted, but the fact is most Nikasil blocks in the UK are fine. Mine has 123,000 miles and is totally smooth.

The other are that can cause concern is the auto box. Make sure it does what it should on a test drive and get used to the adaptive functions, such as changing down for you going down steep hills, and if you back off suddenly in a corner at high revs it will hold that gear until the road straightens again to stop you exiting the road backwards. Functional, but seems a bit weird at first.

Other than that it is usual E34 stuff, such as suspension bushes etc.

I thoroughly recommend them and I generally get about 20 mpg out of mine, and up to 28 average on a motorway at a constant 80 ish.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic