Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’99 E46 318i SE opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximus434 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’99 E46 318i SE opinions?
    Posted: 16-February-2007 at 17:11
I'm new to this board and to the world of BMWs. I'd like to get myself an E46 318i SE saloon model (99 reg or thereabouts). I'm wondering does anybody have any opinions on this car? What is the Bhp of the engine? I understand it's lower than its newer brothers..around the 120 mark? Can this be "remapped" to give more performance?

I've got a dealer who is selling one with decent mileage, its a UK car but recently registered over here (Ireland). The service booklet has not been updated since a service at 30k miles, it's now at 77k. I am wary of this. However he has said he just serviced the car to the tune of several hundred euro and is pretty confident about it (offering 6 mth warranty aswell). How do these models wear their miles? Any things to look out for (taking it for a test drive tomorrow)?

Opinions on this car are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Maximus434
Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2007 at 13:07
My old man ran an E36 318 for 4 years from 110k on the clock to 140k when he switched to an early MY99 E46 318 auto and he's run that from the 70k on the clock when he got it to its current 120k and counting.

When I chopped from the 535 to the current 328 my viewpoint was that theres a lot around so you can be choosy and if any servicing ran out of the 'norm' then I'd walk away from it. E46s IIRC run on about 15000 miles between servicing but the OBC will adjust intervals down to how the car's driven but 30k for me would be too long and either a negotiation point or a walk-away point dependant on the rest of the car.

Couple of issues as standard with all e46s in front suspension bushes and wishbones, corroded radiator, split rad pipe, but really thats been about the extent of it (touch wood) apart from servicing and tyre and brake etc costs.

Being the auto its not the most exciting car in terms of straight line oooomph but its better than you'd expect and the 4cyl engines are very revvy.

If your budget will extend to a MY 2001 on 51 plate and onwards the 318s get the uprated 145bhp engine.

If you want more power you're better off getting a 323 or 328 straight off.I've had a couple of the 145 bhp units in E36 guise on the 318iS coups and loved those so for the same cash I'd keep my eyes open for a MY99 318 coup with the sports trim.

HTH.

Edited by Stone-IslandV8
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2007 at 16:19
I would stick with the pre facelift model with the old engine, the M43. A
good simple engine unlike the later Valvetronic unit which is horribly
complex and not 'fixable'. They're not a bad car at all - bear in mind the
316i is also a 1.9 litre, a detuned 318i.
Problem areas can be the electric windows and central locking - make
sure it all works perfectly. A failed front balljoint means a complete alloy
wishbone ££££££££. Rusty brake pipes are quite common but overall
they're a decent car and they drive very well.
Maximus434 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximus434 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2007 at 18:32
Thanks for the input. I didn't get to test drive one yet but I will. I will be on the lookout for the windows working perfectly, the bushes (suspension?) - how could I test the balljoint?

One dealer did mention that there were problems with the back end of the car in that area (cant remember specifically) but they were fixed during service. Is this a bad omen?

I honestly prefer the look of this to the pre facelift models, although some of them are very nice. I have just two other questions:

If the car doesn't have the OBC, I heard I can add this functionality by replacing the indicator stalk. Is this true? Difficult? All I really want is the outside air temperature, which is a must on any car to me.

Is it possible to remap the 318i saloon, and if so, for what kind of performance increase?

Help/adivce is greatly appreciated.
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2007 at 21:13
The 318 is tuneable either by changing the chip or remapping the car.......Superchips want about £300 to get you an extra 8bhp while E-tuning qoute a 14bhp increase on the 118bhp model for similar money. IIRC E-maps who have a good reputation, quote 14bhp inc on the car.

Not sure about E46s but certainly the E36s suffered from rear suspension bushes and split top shock mounts so might be that he was talking about.

Didnt all SE specs come with the OBC via stalk control? Not sure if just changing the stalk would have that much effect as I'm guessing you'd need the right wiring and relays and sensors but could well be wrong here.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic