Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne for Nigel...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 10:09
Quote nodding off.

Hardly a legal term is it
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 10:37

lol, you wouldn't want the actual legal one.

That was "decoded" for us by one of the chaps from TA.

A lot of this driving stuff is absolute tosh, and an attempt by a poor government to grab headlines and be seen to doing something to try and reduce deaths on the road, whilst they wont actually do whats needed as it will lose votes.

In general I dissagree with much of the recent legislation, including the mobile phone one, and I can give you examples where recieving or making a call on my mobile is as good as a break.

Whenever you pick on a particular activity, smoking, mobile phones, eating, drinking (all of which as a so called advanced driver I have done / still do) you are failing to look at the overall picture.

Just as a small soundbite, I think your attitude towards driving will make up a lot of the skill needed to be so called "advanced"

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 10:56
Here's another one..

How about having to change gear? You have to take one hand off the steering wheel so in effect you aren't in full control of your car - as well as having to muck about with your feet at the same time.

So me having a sandwich or whatever in my auto is less dangerous as I've no gears to change and no pedals to swap my feet about on.

..go figure.

(next they'll ban manual cars for that very reason. Three pedals.. two feet - hardly a safe combination )

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 16:31

It's all gone a bit mad! I think smoking in a car can be just as dangerous as using a mobile. I have watched people light up whilst driving and using one hand to hold the cigarette and go all cross eyed while trying to light it for a period of 1-2 seconds which at about 30 mph is enough to have travelled about 15 metres.

Also, my mother in law has had several incidents while driving she has dropped her cigarette or the cherry off the end then literally had her head down in the footwell trying to stop it setting fire to the car while still driving!

I know smokers aren't all numbskulls but in a lot of cases, it can add to the danger of driving.

I wonder how many accidents have been caused by someone not concentrating due to a cigarette related incident? (and of course not writen on the accident claim form!)

I'm not picking on smokers because it doesn't make you a bad person, just a smelly one lol! but as previously mentioned, if eating an apple is a penalty offence, then smoking is much worse surely?

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 19:24
I'd suggest smoking isn't worse, as its a habit (like changing gear), not an activity, like eating an apple.
Best Wishes

Nigel

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 20:22

It seems you have all missed or forgotten to mention the whole reason for all these new laws regarding smoking . it is NOT about our wellbeing or antisocial behaviour (smoking) towards others . it is simply going to be another way of making money ! just like speed cameras . there willl be fines for people caught lighting up in prohibited places , hence the recruitment of enforcement officers .

As someone that works in the car audio industry i can honestly say the increase in mobile phone handsfree car kits due to the new law coming into enforcement very soon has pretty much garunteed the healthiest bank balance we have had in almost 5 years so, many thanks to the overpaid overweight government bods , i owe you all a drink .

someone allways makes money out of these government scams

"stands back , dons flame suit and waits for it"

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2007 at 21:06

Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

someone allways makes money out of these government scams  "stands back , dons flame suit and waits for it"

And good luck to you "Every cloud has a sliver lining"

Mobile Hands-Free kits have been around for so long - and are so cheap - I just can't understand why everyone hasn't got one?

should be a 1000 fine & 6points I say!  

anyway, back on topic.........

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 10:35
heres a nice picture
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic