Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAn Garda getting BMWs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Garda getting BMWs
    Posted: 27-February-2007 at 16:12
The Gardaí have purchased 15 BMWs, 318s, 525is and 530ds

Heard it through the grapevine...
Sponsored Links

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 16:26
Where in the country was this purchase that you have heard of? Glad to see their making good use of the tax payers money for a change, and not buying heaps of crap like fiat etc etc
I miss my m3.......
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 16:28

Yeah my friend got done by one down in wicklow at the week-end... 3 series in a wine colour, Didn't take much more notice than that.

He's not a happy camper

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 16:34

it was said in the paper a yr or 2 that they were going to go for marque makes for traffic corps after the 2 garda officers were killed in the crash with the mx5, they have been using saab for a while now.

about time rather than the asian heaps of tin

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 16:49

Well, it's going to make the garda auctions a bit more interesting again. They've a vast array of motors at the moment, guess they're just following the trends of the UK police.   

It was a current shape Ford Mondeo those lads got killed in and hoestly had little chance in a side impact. 

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 20:09
Yeah that was a shocking blow to the side, at least now they will have a little more protection in a good german piece of engineering, more to the point, now they stand some chance of catchin us heavy footers hehe!!!!  Not me of course i speak for others :-)
I miss my m3.......
GS.ie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GS.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 09:50
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

they have been using saab for a while now.

One Saab only. And its a ball of dung.... no room in the rear for anyone except kids !

green-blood View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 10:09

eh, are you guys for real

that mx-5 was doing 80 goof old mph when it hit that mondeo... your pretty stuffed in any saloon car, certainly no safer had they been in a 5 series.

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 12:04
Yeah of course at that speed a side impact is irrelevant no matter what car you are in.  I wasnt specifically referring to that one incident dough! My point (Green-blood) being that they are safer in any BMW than those heaps they used to buy from Fiat! They used use cars such as fiesta's, punto's, bravo's, blah blah blah......I mean come on, true for Curley, they are following the trend of the Uk Police. They should have had decent cars for years now like, well over due!
I miss my m3.......
green-blood View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 12:25

yeah but only for pursuit work,

the tool should fit the job, do community gardai need anything more than a small hatch - no, should anything other than vans be used to lift bods - no, should they have properly capable road traffic and pursuit vehicles - yes (with training)

that is all

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 13:38

So in that case why in the past have i seen small brittle garda cars doing speed checks???  Come on, any garda car faces the threat of having to take persuit!!!!!! Therefore, all their cars should be worthy.  Small community garda cars should be as safe as any other garda car.

Was not talking about vans atall.....

I miss my m3.......
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 20:26
Originally posted by green-blood green-blood wrote:

should they have properly capable road traffic and
pursuit vehicles - yes (with training)

With training? Do the Gardai get ANY training behind the wheel?

I was pulled in by a **** of a garda in a black Camry on the M50. It would
probably make more commercial sense to have bought a 3 Series instead. It
would have a higher resale price then the Camry therefor potentially SAVING
tax payers money.

(note: I never got a ticket or court appearence as the garda was in the
wrong)

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 20:36

They dropped the SAAB. IT didnt work out. I used to do abit of work over in Garda HQ and it was handy to see what cars they were using.

Hyundi Accents

Rover 216 etc

O and Fiat Tempra diesels. 1 of which got me in Wexford some years back

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2007 at 22:32

They use some Volvos as well. Got pulled a while ago from a S60 T5 after stupidly tailing him up the road. He pulled from the nextlight like a racer and as he couldn't shake me off on went the lights.

Left me off however after a right b.l.king

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 10:13

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Originally posted by green-blood green-blood wrote:

should they have properly capable road traffic and
pursuit vehicles - yes (with training)

With training? Do the Gardai get ANY training behind the wheel?

I was pulled in by a **** of a garda in a black Camry on the M50. It would
probably make more commercial sense to have bought a 3 Series instead. It
would have a higher resale price then the Camry therefor potentially SAVING
tax payers money.

(note: I never got a ticket or court appearence as the garda was in the
wrong)

they are supposed to have proper training but going by the rumours out there Gardai personnel have higher insurance premiums for their personal insurance.

father inlaw works for customs and he was trained by the gards on the border for speed training and jesus he is getting a bit doddery as he leaves it until the last minute to brake,(think of Pheobe from friends driving the taxi).

they should send them to the uk to be trained for high speed pursuits, then again werent they banned from chasing stolen cars as the number of accidents and people killed from the morons stealing the cars.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 14:32

Very good piont if they hit someone or the car they chase ploughs int another caar pedestrian etc the whole country would roar in disgust.

Other countries e.g. Germany contact inforcements and close the road ahead than put spikes out or set up a road block to stop perpetraders. So there is never a high speed chase over there. However the whole atttude towards the cops is very different over there. Not sure if the criminals here will give a toss about the law or the people who try to implement it or the public as a whole in the forseable future. Chasing them however will make things worth IMHO

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 16:18

Oiiiihh who saying what about SAAAAB'S...They aint that bad.

2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 21:53
Alot of lads in the Traffic have driving courses completed and those that don't are not let loose in the higher powered cars or new ones until they complete a car course, alot of other Government agencies have nice high powered cars also  
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2007 at 22:53
Well in fairness the BMW 3 Series driver is the new Mondeo Man considering the 3 Series has outsold the Mondeo for a few years now. Are you sure they are 525i's because the 525i is about to be replaced by the 528i when the facelift model goes on sale unless they are getting a good deal on end of the line old models.

Edited by 635CSi
Gars Estoril View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gars Estoril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 19:57
I've just heard that they have Bm's now! Was a bit shocked when I was told!
And don't forget to look out for the Subaru foresters!(Wish I Did)

I was told a while back they used to have a fleet of Sierra Cosworth's??? Needless to say they all got written off!
Present:'04 Estoril Blue e46 320d
Previous: '02 Topaz Blue 320d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic