Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIce ice baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 17:23

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The only major problem is finding replacement speakers for the doors.

It's a bit easier on an E46, 13cm with the autoleads adaptors or 16cm, but may been to make up you own collar, although some are a straight fit. 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by e34silver530i e34silver530i wrote:

Originally posted by Gonzo Gonzo wrote:

But then aren't you just amping a poor source signal? Especially as you have to take the feed to the amp from the speaker output.

You shouldn't do as head units should have an RCA connector on the back where you get a better quality o/p. You then have the problem of whether there is a remote turn on wire to fire up the amp

Paul

Not on the standard Business RDS headunit Paul.

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 14:13

Cheers Sporty1, that will help me when I trade in the 530 in a year or so either for an e39 540 or e38 740, so I may just keep hold of my Alpine head unit and amp/sub.

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 19:22

ok chaps

first things first , you cant use the original display with an aftermarket unit , its been tried by a couple of fitting solutions companys and it never works properly .

the best way to upgrade the audio is going to be replace the oe with aftermarket (if you have an ipod the best is an alpine 9850ri as it has "highspeed ipod controll") however  you dont have to change the head unit if you want to get a better sound . i would personally recomend either the alpine vehicle hub(vehicle hub pro if you dont want to add extra amplifiers) or the rockford fosgate threesixty . Both units will take the signal from the standard unit and make it more flexible in terms of adjustment , the alpine pro unit has a built in high power mosfet amp so you can power your speakers directly off it . The other 2 units will need amplifiers to send the audio signal to your speakers .

It might be worth you looking on the alpine or rockford websites to gather the info you need to make a better informed decision on your plan of attack .

Even if you guys arent interested in upgrading your audio video systems  check out what the alpine systems can do in a bmw

hth

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 23:39
I would go for an Alpine system. Fitted these in my cars for the past 10 years or so.

Main thing to remember is to spend quality money and you get quality sounds. Used to do installs and I had people coming to me with crap make stereos, amps and speakers and I told the guys that this is going to sound mince but they would all insist I fit the stuff. Sure enough I fitted the stuff and the sound was the same as they had although they were a few quid lighter after I had got my fee 

At the motor show in Glasgow a few years ago you had the big guns with there mega watt stereos but there was a guy with a wee company who had a quality head unit, 1 Denon DCA800 amp and a handfull of speakers and this thing sounded the berries. More people flocked to see this guy than the big makes.

So all you need is quality make but no need to go overboard buying amps and speakers etc

Alan.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 17:05
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

i would personally recomend either the alpine vehicle hub(vehicle hub pro if you dont want to add extra amplifiers)  It might be worth you looking on the alpine or rockford websites to gather the info you need to make a better informed decision on your plan of attack .

I thought that the alpine vehicle hub was more geared up for OE headunits that had screens/displaysallowing DVD TV tuners etc to be incorporated, not ones like the Business RDS, whuich is a 'normal OE' headunit?

Edited by Sporty1

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 21:34
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

I thought that the alpine vehicle hub was more geared up for OE headunits that had screens/displaysallowing DVD TV tuners etc to be incorporated, not ones like the Business RDS, whuich is a 'normal OE' headunit?

very true indeed , i didnt read anywhere on the original post the model of the head unit which is why i included the rockford three60 as an alternative , my appologies if it has created confusion , i skipped through most of the posts .

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Gonzo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 16:41
Having talked to a number of people on this (including one firm which does a lot of work for a dealer) it appears there is no way to put in a new headunit without losing the phone number display.

As I see it this leaves me with two options:
1. Change the headunit to one which incorporates a bluetooth kit (and bypass the existing kit)
2. Fit an amp and replace the speakers

I'm not very well up on ICE but am wondering about the amp and speaker route. Is it going to be a case of rubbish in rubbish out taking the speaker level output from the existing business cd unit and amping it?

Also one of the guys told me to call back in a couple of weeks as they'll be getting an amp that is specifically designed for the e46 - anyone heard of this?

Edited by Gonzo
2004 e46 320D Sport
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 16:48

Originally posted by Gonzo Gonzo wrote:

Having talked to a number of people on this (including one firm which does a lot of work for a dealer) it appears there is no way to put in a new headunit without losing the phone number display.

As I see it this leaves me with two options:
1. Change the headunit to one which incorporates a bluetooth kit (and bypass the existing kit)
2. Fit an amp and replace the speakers

I'm not very well up on ICE but am wondering about the amp and speaker route. Is it going to be a case of rubbish in rubbish out taking the speaker level output from the existing business cd unit and amping it?

Also one of the guys told me to call back in a couple of weeks as they'll be getting an amp that is specifically designed for the e46 - anyone heard of this?

You understand why I went down the nightmare route.........

It's always a case of garbage in garbage out. Speaker to rca converters and high level output can/do creeate their own problems.

Sony used to do something similar IIRC called 'Sound On Top', the product did not live up to the name IMO, don't know what this chap is on about so cannot comment.

Think this leaves you with option 1.

HTH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic