Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSupermarket Petrol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supermarket Petrol
    Posted: 02-March-2007 at 08:08

....and this is why I refuse to use supermarket petrol

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 09:00
I don't knw about the Uk but over here our petrol is frequently shared by the distributors, i.e. Shell may give some petrol to Esso who then add their additives to it. Petrol in Tesco forecourts here is supplied to them by a leading petrol retailer (statoil).
If the fault occured on the ship then it could in theory affect non-supermarket petrol.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 09:24

i agree with kb, tesco seemingly sell more petrol in the greater dublin area than a lot of their own garages

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 10:06
I once saw a BP tanker in a Sainsburies forecourt emptying its load.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 10:48

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

I don't knw about the Uk but over here our petrol is frequently shared by the distributors, i.e. Shell may give some petrol to Esso who then add their additives to it. Petrol in Tesco forecourts here is supplied to them by a leading petrol retailer (statoil).
If the fault occured on the ship then it could in theory affect non-supermarket petrol.

This does happen except with your 'higher' grade stuff like V Power and Ultimate.

Wouldn't have thought that petrol was brought in on ships, only crude.........do you remember Bunsfield?......... I heard it.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 13:19

I filled my 75 litre tank with 65 litres of Safeways own petrol in my Vauxhall Senator 3.0i 24v auto and the car kangarooed for the whole tank.  Performance was flat and lifeless...yip the auto kangarooed..  Solved the problem with a nice tank of green stuff from Esso.

Filled the BMW with Asda cak (and I'm sooo sorry car, I promise never ever to do that again).  Put in just over half a tank and then drove 100 miles on the motorway at a steady 70mph and only got about 25-26mpg.  Crap.

On Esso/Shell/BP unleaded I'll get 31-32. On VPower I'll get 39mpg yes that is correct 39mpg.  Got that twice on runs to Perth.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 19:47

The same applies here - all the distributors cover most garages, so you could say that the 'normal' un-leaded is the same for all garages in that area.

except for V Power and Ultimate of course and Tesco 100

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 20:01

A friend of mine was affected. Her Citroen Xsara Picasso lost 50% power and coughed and spluttered after filling up from ASDA the other day. She phoned ASDA today and they told her they'll send her a claim form and to get her car repaired. She now has a loan car and her car is in being fixed. At least they have addressed the problem. Piggin petrol companies, you'd think the billions they earn in profit would help ensure the fuel we get is top quality

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 20:47

only seems to effect 'newer' cars - with oxygen sensor?

see! told you there was a reason to drive a classic!

But don't care.
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 20:59
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

only seems to effect 'newer' cars - with oxygen sensor?

see! told you there was a reason to drive a classic!

my classic has two of the bloody things.......
Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
& 1993 BMW E34 520I SE in dimond black
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 21:08

Originally posted by chazzer chazzer wrote:

only seems to effect 'newer' cars - with oxygen sensor?see! told you there was a reason to drive a classic!

where's the classic then?

Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. 2003 Smart Brabus 4-2 Full leather electric everything!! Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver

But don't care.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 21:13
I don't think we'll have the same problem in Scotland.  As far as I'm aware virtually all the petrol (and aviation fuel) sold in Scotland originates from Grangemouth.
Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 21:40

only seems to effect 'newer' cars - with oxygen sensor?see! told you there was a reason to drive a classic!

Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. 2003 Smart Brabus 4-2 Full leather electric everything!! Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver

well soon to be "classic" then they started making them in 1988 dont you know.....
Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 22:09

Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. 2003 Smart Brabus 4-2 Full leather electric everything!!

well soon to be "classic" then they started making them in 1988 dont you know.....

OK - close enough

But don't care.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2007 at 22:51
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

I don't think we'll have the same problem in Scotland.  As far as I'm aware virtually all the petrol (and aviation fuel) sold in Scotland originates from Grangemouth.
The BBC news website has a location map.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6407447.stm
Scotland (and strangely Northern Ireland) seem to have suffered from it.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 01:33

Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

The BBC news website has a location map.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6407447.stm
Scotland (and strangely Northern Ireland) seem to have suffered from it.

Chancers with lesser cars

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 07:52

Dont go to supermarkets for fuel these days

i use shells v max once u get used to the unusual fragrance fishy/rotten eggs its good stuff a wee bit harder on the wallet but worth it gives car better all round performance

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Misty Morning View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misty Morning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 10:57

That's a relief York doesn't appear to be on that map.

What was that?....... I wouldn't notice in my car anyway.

Had to get that in first before you lot.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 13:22

Girl in my office had her car in the garage with a poor running problem.  I told her that it was just becasue it was a Renault and nothing to do with dodgy fuel but she says her boyfirend filled up at Morrisons in Cumbernauld which was on the BBC map.  T'was about the only affected garage in central Scotland.

I have heard before (and from a Grangemout employee!) that all petrol in Scotland comes from Grangemouth, but how do you account for the two times in two different cars when I have used supermarket guff, I have had problems? 

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 14:13
Well I've never had any trouble with supermarket petrol. Other than this high profile inccident I don't think it is any better or worse than any other branded fuel. Obviously Shell V-power is better as should BP utlimate be, although I' ve never been impressed with an BP fuel, not least because it is expensive.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic