Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDyno day anyone??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dyno day anyone??
    Posted: 04-March-2007 at 18:54

Hello everyone,

My new dyno is being installed over the next couple of weeks and I thought about christening it with an MPower or BMW dyno day.

I can run it on virtually anyday possible but maybe better for yourselves to hold it on a day where there is racing going on at the race circuit situated in our back garden. We are at Castle Combe.

Depending on what you want measured, ie AFR's, injector duty cycle, inlet manifold pressure or vacuum, EGT, etc, etc, etc, a power run will cost between £30 and £50. Either way power and torque graphs are given to you atleast and you will get two runs for £30. The extra would be for connecting everything else up. But unless you have a turbo car I cannot imagine you would want anything more than just AFR, manifold pressure and maybe injector duty cycle sensors fitted. These measurements can be printed on the power graph too and are measured live all in one run. So a direct comparison between say AFR's and power can be very usefull.

You could take 1 run, make a change and run up again later in the day?

The cooling fan really does simulate road conditions too. It can produce wind at the front of the car of upto 100MPH. So moving the inlet trunking on the front of your car after the 1st run coupled with having AFR's and inlet pressure measured could prove interesting and provide usefull data for one thing. (Good for mapping a car for gaining a higher top speed??)

I am also thinking of a burger van to be on site too, but this could be a waste if this day is going to be held on a track/race day??

Anyones input and interest would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 21:04
I will sign up! But needs to be around May as my car is still in bits right now.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 21:13
I'd come along if I can bring the E34 540 bus,and depending on the date too. Is there not any cheapy track day,or action day I think CC calls them, on which we could combine the day?
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 21:38

Thanks Uwe, Brian.

Realistically May will probably be when we would be ready. Wanna get used to the dyno and get a few things sorted like sound proofing and some electrics for the cooling/extraction fans too.

Any car would be welcome . I will check some dates with Castle Combe Circuit and post them up. I am sure there will be track days throughout May.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 23:21
Castle Combe, Wiltshire...Cumbria? As much as I would like to, it is a bit far to go to see better wheel figures that Uwe

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 08:14
Originally posted by stevesingo stevesingo wrote:

Castle Combe, Wiltshire...Cumbria? As much as I would like to, it is a bit far to go to see better wheel figures that Uwe

Steve

I am very sorry but have to disapoint you. I have added 19bhp to the wheel bhp you have seen last time
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 08:49
But what have I added?

Steve
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 09:50

But what have I added?

Steve

Who says I have stopped at the last Dyno figures?

I will try to fit a larger bore exhaust before the Dyno day, but that's all of the engine modes for this year.
Don't think that will free a massive amount of extra horses, but should be enough to show a tired EVO3 who's the boss......

(.....only bad drivers are calling for more and more bhp )
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 10:22

I could be interested if you guys don't mind a 17 yr old bus coming down - would like to see what she's running at the moment

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 12:33
What will you be charging for rolling road time once you are up and running. Discounts available for anyone who has lent you parts in the past?

Steve
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 19:11

Steve, I havn't forgotton, I do owe you one

Right, The race circuit has a track day on Saturday 21st April. Its called an Action day and all makes and models are welcome. But this date maybe too early for Uwe?? The following Saturday 28th April is a Porsche Club Day. As far as I know they also welcome BMW's too? But this would have to be checked.

I could run a day on Monday 07th May (Bank holiday) and the circuit has a good program that day with regards to racing...but its not a track/action day.

I would love to run a day on Saturday/Sunday 13th/14th May as its the yearly Steam Rally at the circuit. It would be great to drown out the sad noises of steam powered horns and whistles  with some nice cars being ran up on the dyno.

There is a Japfest on Sat 19th May which is a feature track day. Basically anything Japanese is welcome. This day is always extremely busy and is worth a look. As the day gets quieter during the afternoon, other Marques are allowed onto the circuit.

Sat 26th May there is a Lotus Club day which is usually exclusive to Lotus owners.

Sat 9th June is a classic and sports car action day, perfect for the E30 M3, E28 M5's, shark nosed 6 series, etc.

Another good day would be the EuroFest Action day which is on Saturday 8th September. Obviously BMW's and anything europian is welcome. But book early if you want time on the track - like BOOK NOW!!! You have been warned!

There is always Sundays and other Bank holidays I could run the day. I am pretty flexible, but the only days I can't do is one Sunday per month when the Car Boot sale is on at the circuit. I really don't want to upset the neighbours with the noise from a dyno day.

Please could you all list what day you would prefer.

playo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 23:38

I'm up for this 1!!

'98 M3 evo conv'-Sold
'91 E30 M3'
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 18:43

There is a performance car action day here on April 21st, so that could be a good day if you want to have a power run and take your car round the track??

Need some more feedback guys please...

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 20:05
Just found out that the Missus LIKES Castle Combe

But, can't make the 21st April, off to Everest Base Camp!

I think the Bank Holiday is not a good idea, due to traffic.

9th June is favouret with me.

Steve
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 20:13

Just found out that the Missus LIKES Castle Combe

But, can't make the 21st April, off to Everest Base Camp!

I think the Bank Holiday is not a good idea, due to traffic.

9th June is favouret with me.

Steve

any day will be good to show you where you belong on the bhp ranking chart

(mental note to myself, find a place to hide that NOS bottle and get black thin tubing.......
don't forget the tyre dressing to spray steve's tyres when he's on the rollers.....)

Edited by UweM3
playo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 23:47
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

There is a performance car action day here on April 21st, so that could be a good day if you want to have a power run and take your car round the track??

Need some more feedback guys please...

I'm interested, and am pretty free most weekends (with enough warning) and bank hols.

So i'm happy to go with the flow on this 1!

I'd like to do a dyno and maybe some track time too

'98 M3 evo conv'-Sold
'91 E30 M3'
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2007 at 09:23

I'm easy as well as I've only got to worry about sunday and fortnight sunday as they are the last two dates for my oldest sons football season

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2007 at 23:16

I would be up for it - be nice to get another dyno run - just let me know the date - I am just up the road

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 19:56

Right guys,

Dyno is up and running, but 3phase is still yet to be installed for the huge cooling fans, so doing 2 runs with making changes between them will be pretty pointless I guess. Souther Electric Board are dragging thier feet!!!!

We have decided to run a day on April 21st as there is an Action day being run on the Castle Combe Racing Circuit which is situated in our back garden! Our post code is SN14 7HB on the B4039 and TomTom takes you right to the forecourt.

If you need fuel we now sell Super Unleaded as we have decided that the genuine leaded 4 star fuel was just too hard to get and the quantity it had to be bought in and how slow it sells didn't justify us continuing with supplying it any more.

Already have about 10 or so from the E30zone comming along including Playo from this forum.

Anyone and anything is welcome as long as it has four wheels!

Kicking off at about 9am but first come first served.

I have reduced the price to £30 inc VAT for the power run because of the lack of the huge cooling fans and our lack of time to decorate the tuning bay. But we still have our old dyno cooling fan which will be ok for power runs.

We have data logging too, so can measure things like AFR's, Injector duty cycle, boost pressure, etc at extra cost (due to hooking these things up)

We have a couple of interesting cars turning up which hopefully includes an E36 3.0 M3 with a Rotrex supercharger fitted, MZ3 and an Audi S4 too. Playo's E30 M3 and hopefully Maxfield will be attending the day too.

Hope to see you on the day.

1. Jon_BMW CONFIRMED (E30Zone)
2. M3Macao (E30Zone)
3. jonb (E30Zone)
4. Simon13 (E30Zone)
5. Oguz318is (E30Zone)
6. Theo325 (E30Zone)
7. Davetouring + Demlotcrew as passenger (E30Zone)
8. Playo (E30Zone/Bavarian Board)
9. Barnz - 1st rolling road day so be gentle! Love it! (E30Zone)
10. Ken - E36 M3 S/C - possibly (Circuit Motors customer)
11. Mark - MZ3 - confirmed (Circuit Motors customer)
12. Ron 325i Sport - possibly (Bavarian Board)
13. ThePits - possibly (bog-standard E30 M3)

Please add your name to the list if you would like to join us during the day.

Edited by thepits
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 22:22

Right guys, Dyno is up and running,

Eventually!

Please add your name to the list if you would like to join us during the day.

Added!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic