Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The ’get to Nurburgring in €1,000 car idea’ thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe ’get to Nurburgring in €1,000 car idea’ thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ’get to Nurburgring in €1,000 car idea’ thread
    Posted: 05-March-2007 at 09:06
As the title says-You buy a car for no more than €1,000 and use it to travel from Dublin to the Nurburgring mid summer, the only goal being to actually make it to the track. You'd have to get a convoy going, in case cars break down. If money is an issue you can go in with someone else or a few people to purchase the car. Also, if you get the car home you have to try and sell it on for a profit, bringing your bartering skills into play in the first place to try and get the seller down on price. Anyone think it could work?
Sponsored Links

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 09:29
this is like a bmw's forum top gear challenge, make up some dodgy challenges and on the resale whoever makes the most back wins
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 09:44
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

this is like a bmw's forum top gear challenge, make up some dodgy challenges and on the resale whoever makes the most back wins

Exactly, extra points given for not going the safe option-i.e. bigger, powerful, high mileage examples. You can play it safe and buy something reliable; it doesn't really matter in the long run. The ultimate goal would be to make the journey there and back and to sell the car on for the biggest profit possible; be it €1 or €100 over what you paid for it.

It would probably take place over a long weekend so people don't have to give up too much of their holidays-leave mid week and be back the next Monday, 6 days should be enough to cover it.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 13:37

I would gladly be the camera car.................in my  €1,000 E46 M3.

Lol

Mick

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 13:38
An old E34 5 Series would do the job nicely, my neighbour had one of the first 530i's it was 1988 and it was a lovely car, lovely straight six engine, lots of pace. If you can find one for under a grand that is.

Edited by 635CSi
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 13:42

May be an idea to do it for charity, extra points awarded for most pledged. Might as well benefit a good cause while you're at it.

Sounds like a laugh, would need big permission slip to participate

E39 530d Touring

Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 13:46
Tis Something id love to do!!A lap around the circuit and get there in an E34...sounds good.....
2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 14:40
If you started in Dublin would you be coming down the A55? (therefore past my house...? )
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 15:02
1000 euro is too much!
There is already a charity event whereby you have to tour European cities from the UK in a £500 GBP car.. when I can remember the link I'll post it here.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 15:15

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

1000 euro is too much!
There is already a charity event whereby you have to tour European cities from the UK in a £500 GBP car.. when I can remember the link I'll post it here.

nick

when you take in exchange rate and vrt it hits about €1000

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 15:43

A grand lads, way to much, last E34 I bought ( a good one ) cost 630 yoyo 44,000 miles ago, go for the 500 euro mark.

The charity run you're on about is the plymouth dakar rally, where 100 stg is the total purchase of the car. Personally an out of tax/ NCT Jag xj40 would do the trick... or a 735i if you want to stick Bavarian. Something old with a big pony that worth nothing !!!

http://www.plymouth-dakar.co.uk/

Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 17:40
thanks Curley
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 17:44
Okay so lower it to €500 and all proceeds to charity. You don't necessarily have to sell it afterwards, (it could be a track day hooner) but you must contribute to a charity fund of some sort if you do decide to keep it.
We could also change the venue to somewhere in England and get the lads from across the Pond involved in it too if Germany might not appeal to many because of it's distance and time.
Flogging a dead horse here...
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2007 at 22:22
Id certainly be interested, english plated 535i here we come!!
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 17:15
Yeah guys i'll be following this topic for updates, if it happens, ill def make the time for it, as it would not only be a good charity event, but would also be a great fun. If there is a good lot sign up for it, i can see if my contact atTnaG would follow and report the event. Go for it lads, time we showed Mercedes drivers that there is good in BMW owners after all!!!
I miss my m3.......
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2007 at 23:40
Sounds like great fun. I'd be up for it. But we would need a support crew with a big van full of tools, spares, food, beer and tents. But could be done I suppose.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2007 at 09:15

Lads

The one great flaw in the plan, and it is a cunning plan dont get me wrong, is that once you actually get to the ring, any of you that have a fast powerful car at home are gonna be killing yourselves that you don't have it with you.  Because stepping into the car park at the ring is like a kind of drug......you WILL want to go on the track and as fast as possible.

Maybe, you should have a challenge to see who could do a sub 11 minute lap in your banger or something (although Im sure people will go on a about encouraging racing etc etc)

Mick

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2007 at 09:43
Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

Lads

The one great flaw in the plan, and it is a cunning plan dont get me wrong, is that once you actually get to the ring, any of you that have a fast powerful car at home are gonna be killing yourselves that you don't have it with you.  Because stepping into the car park at the ring is like a kind of drug......you WILL want to go on the track and as fast as possible.

Maybe, you should have a challenge to see who could do a sub 11 minute lap in your banger or something (although Im sure people will go on a about encouraging racing etc etc)

Mick

well you could always buy the heap of junk with a towbar get a lend of a car transport trailer and then you have the best of both worlds, get there in the heap and go hammer and thongs around the ring in your powerful one, job oxoed

Dave Ryle

Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

Lads

Mick

You can pick up an old BM for little or no money, and if you decide to go for a 530 or 535 they wouldn't be exactly slow, you could still enjoy the ring without killing yourself or spending a fortune. The fact that you could chip in with a few others means the whole experience might only set you back €200-300.For me and the majority of others who have limited ring experience, to go on a completely unforgiving course in a very powerful motor could spell disaster. That's not to say anyone else who wants to go along in their own motors can't join the convoy.
This is a cheap alternative, knowing that if your €500 motor does fail on you, it's not the end of the world. You also raise money for charity, have a laugh, and drive on the best track in the world, whilst taking in the scenery. If we get a few more interested we can start organising this properly. Arrange a time and place to meet up to go over it and plan the ins and outs of the trip.
Come on lads, opportunity of a life time!
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2007 at 10:38
I think Mick forgets sometimes that not everyone has a M at home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic