Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat is your favourite car mag?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 17:30
I buy Car, Top Gear an PBMW every month. I try to get Evo as well but its not
always in the shops. I would buy Total BMW and BMW car as well if I see
them. The M3 sham that Car had did annoy me but I'll forgice them. Still
love the mag and I'm glad it's different from Top Gear because they had
become very similar. I think Evo has now become the best read for really
making you feel like you're there. I might subscrfibe to it to make sure I can
get it.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Sponsored Links

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 19:21

.Pratical Classic

.LRO (Land rover Oner)

.Classic cars soor to be caned,

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

I buy Car, Top Gear an PBMW every month

I'm sort of like that myself, you see the latest issue on the shelf and you can't control yourself! It's an addiction

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 20:25
Just my 2 penneth's worth!

Subscribed to Top Gear for quite a few years now - it's a laugh (I don't buy it, or watch it for the car reviews!) - and what am I now going to do on a Sunday evening at 8pm! 

Whenever I see a BM mag in the News Agents I get it (well I have a quick look through it first to make sure it's not full of ads!) - quite rare nowadays

Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 21:26

Total BMW as they did a feature on my car back in 02

Practical Classics although it does become boring reding about more Mg's and more Morris Minors. Always a good laugh when the likes of the Allegro owners club write in!!!

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2007 at 22:00
Originally posted by fingerman fingerman wrote:

Whenever I see a BM mag in the News Agents I get it (well I have a quick look through it first to make sure it's not full of ads!) - quite rare nowadays

Yea I do that myself actually, CAR have a load of sh*te in their magazine lately and I always flick through it before I buy it. 7.45 is quite expensive I think, but it's still better in every way than Top Gear imo.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 11:34

I have subscirbed to Practical Classics for a few years now, even got a letter published! But mainly i would buy PBMW or Total BMW on a monthly basis, have gone off Top Gear gradually but as fingerman has said it is purely for entertainment so i do buy it every now and then.

More religiously though is the auto trader every single thursday at around 8am and the buy and sell on a wednesday and a saturday morning!!

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 14:49
EVO, I have subscribed for about 5 years and It is the only magazine I get regularly. I might buy a Total BMW once a year if something really catches my eye or I'm in the market for a new car.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 16:46
Classic and Sports car, because of the exotic stuff. (Reading about Lamborghini Miuras and Aston V8 Zagatos is as close as you're likely to get to seeing them on the road!)

Practical Classics and Classic Car are good too.
(Maybe I need to get myself a rusty old nail?)

Used to read CAR but hated the facelift.

EVO (to replace CAR) most months - when the long termers range from Renault Clio to Pagani Zonda you have to appreciate the scale!
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 17:07
You might have guessed this already from previous post.... Evo, got every copy from day 1, prior to that was Perfromance Car.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
gra325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gra325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 17:56

bmwcc...tbmw...pbmw in that order for me maybe retro car now and then

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 21:05
Originally posted by fozzymandeus fozzymandeus wrote:

Used to read CAR but hated the facelift.

Agreed, IMO the facelift makes the magazine look very bland, it looks more like a women's mag than a car mag
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2007 at 21:19
I'm an Autocar subscriber as my dad was a Motor subscriber for as long as I remember. I used to read his Motor as a kid, now he reads my Autocar.

I don't think it is what it once was, but I guess that is commercial pressures.

Still provides up to date news though. Less said about the Best Winter Car type coverage the better.

Also but EVO

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 12:29
"Evo" every month without fail and "Practical performance car" most months and one or two of the BMW mags or classic car mags if there is anything of interest. Have every issue of top gear up to last year when i failed to see the reason to keep buying it.. Mainstream mags do not interest me as i have no interest in reading about mpv's or the like.. 
caley64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caley64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 12:45
Practical Classics (subscription, as can't get it out here) others if I see something interesting. It gets expensive otherwise as they are from 6.5 to 7 quid, and that's with a strong pound. Couple of bike mags as well (Bike/Classic Bike)
green-blood View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 13:54

just to join the club - EVO, it really is the best, long time subsciber, its so much easier that way. you opay for it once then get 11 more presents in the post!!

Car and Top Gear just annoy the pants off me if I pick one up, usually for a flight as its all they ever have - first thing to do if buying TG for a flight is rip out the entire stats junk at the back - fits in your laptop bag much eaasier that way

Total BMW as the cars are more my end of the market... for now

And MotorSport for my historic racing needs

Edited by green-blood
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 17:26
I picked up this month's EVO in Eason's the opther day and I must say I was impressed, the road tests have way more depth than the likes of CAR or TopGear. I've finally decided I'm goin to change over to EVO
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2007 at 20:54

Evo on subscription and buy the occasional issue of Autocar, Top Gear and Practical Classics

never rated Auto Express, not enough depth and too much on new cars

single-marque magazines aren't varied enough so i haven't bought any in a long time (unless theres a relevant artice in it, like buyers guides or reviews of cars i own)

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AHEALY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2007 at 15:59
It's EVO for me. Much better articles, and less rubbish. I've also bought tbmw from time to time but alot of the time it is just for one or two articles and is expensive for just that.
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
97 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic