Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Motoring rants (which originally was about the UK Budget!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMotoring rants (which originally was about the UK Budget!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

why is it that all councils decide to do roadworks in march..
Can't go anywhere without encountering some sort of roadworks these days..
They've had all year to do them, now it's a last minute rush to get them done before the end of the financial year...grrr!!

..so they can get the same ammount of money to spend at the last minute. If they didn't they wouldn't get as much the following year - so they spend it all to make sure. They don't need it anyway - and it would save us money on council tax if they didn't waste it I just don't think they like the idea of not having monsy to spend on rubbish and back-pocket spending sprees..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2007 at 18:53

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

They've had all year to do them, now it's a last minute rush to get them done before the end of the financial year...grrr!!

..so they can get the same ammount of money to spend at the last minute. If they didn't they wouldn't get as much the following year - so they spend it all to make sure. They don't need it anyway - and it would save us money on council tax if they didn't waste it I just don't think they like the idea of not having monsy to spend on rubbish and back-pocket spending sprees..

Yes I know this rhys but, WHY should it be the roads who suffer every year?

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2007 at 19:09
Biggest single waste of money aint it.. several blokes stood around on overtime doing nothing - 2 or 3 JCB's on hire not working.. and all the time we're paying for it.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2007 at 20:34

They do a similar thing within the police force. When I was at school, a friend of mine wanted to be a copper and so had work experience with them. On his last day they said they still had their budget to get 'rid of' so they took the helicopter out for 3 hours at a cost of over 300!

Couldn't they have donated that money to a more needy cause like the NHS or preventing cut backs for fire fighters? no, ok silly me, maybe I need more beer!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2007 at 21:38
maybe it was a treat for the lad, his last day of work experience to try and tempt him into joining up?

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2007 at 22:09

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

maybe it was a treat for the lad, his last day of work experience to try and tempt him into joining up?

Yes, you are right, but it was in their own words that they had some of the budget left and had to spend it. Not that I'm not jealous, I'd love to have been in his place at that moment! But on the whole, it just goes to show when there is money left over, it just gets wasted, it just so happens in this case it was witnessed by someone I know.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 20:13

that reminds me of a guy who lost his driving license due to drink driving round here, and bought a helicopter, passed his pilots license and then flew to work..

Where there's a will, there's a way

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 22:52

that reminds me of a guy who lost his driving license due to drink driving round here, and bought a helicopter, passed his pilots license and then flew to work..Where there's a will, there's a way

I hope he "made a will" - those things aren't meant to fly - just like a bumble-bee

(but neither of them know that)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

[those things aren't meant to fly - just like a bumble-bee

I'm affraid that is an Urban myth. The storey goes that you could use physics to prove that the bumble bee was incapable of flying. This is however not the case.

This is taken from Wikipedia. I have read it in more credible sources too.

[edit] Bumblebee myths

A bumblebee in flight
A bumblebee in flight

[edit] Flight

According to 20th century folklore, the laws of aerodynamics prove that the bumblebee should be incapable of flight, as it does not have the capacity (in terms of wing size or beat per second) to achieve flight with the degree of wing loading necessary. Not being aware of scientists proving it cannot fly, the bumblebee succeeds. The origin of this myth has been difficult to pin down with any certainty. John McMasters recounted an anecdote about an unnamed Swiss aerodynamicist at a dinner party who performed some rough calculations and concluded, presumably in jest, that according to the equations, bumblebees cannot fly.[4] In later years McMasters has backed away from this origin, suggesting that there could be multiple sources, and that the earliest he has found was a reference in the 1934 French book Le vol des insectes by M. Magnan. Magnan is reported to have written that he and a Mr. Saint-Lague had applied the equations of air resistance to insects and found that their flight was impossible, but that "One shouldn't be surprised that the results of the calculations don't square with reality".[5]

It is believed that the calculations which purported to show that bumblebees cannot fly are based upon a simplified linear treatment of oscillating aerofoils. The method assumes small amplitude oscillations without flow separation. This ignores the effect of dynamic stall, an airflow separation inducing a large vortex above the wing, which briefly produces several times the lift of the aerofoil in regular flight. More sophisticated aerodynamic analysis shows that the bumblebee can fly because its wings encounter dynamic stall in every oscillation cycle.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2007 at 20:39
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I'm affraid that is an Urban myth. The storey goes that you could use physics to prove that the bumble bee was incapable of flying. This is however not the case.

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

This is taken from Wikipedia. I have read it in more credible sources too.

But don't care.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2007 at 23:14

WTF? How did the budget turn into bumble bees?

On that subject though, the experts aren't far out, have you ever watched a bumble bee fly? They are crap at it!

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2007 at 23:18
still manage to sting you though so they can't be that bad....maybe just clumsy (<bump> AARGH...  oops, sorry)

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2007 at 18:08

still manage to sting you though so they can't be that bad....maybe just clumsy (<bump> AARGH...  oops, sorry)

Is it bee's that only have one sting and die, or am I talking utter cr*p?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2007 at 18:13
it's definately bees or wasps, not too sure which

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2007 at 20:49

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

because this is the..........

Uk Budget 21st March (and off topic stuff)

thread.......

posted in the.......

General Off Topic Forum :

But don't care.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2007 at 20:58

erm 'cause we're all being stung by the budget in some way or another..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2007 at 21:02

erm 'cause we're all being stung by the budget in some way or another..

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2007 at 10:02
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Is it bee's that only have one sting and die, or am I talking utter cr*p?

You are right bees will only sting you if they really have too as they will die but wasps will sting repeatedly.......nasty little insects!!

Edited by Issy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2007 at 13:30
the kamikazes of the insect world....

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2007 at 15:16

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

..so they can get the same amount of money to spend at the last minute. If they didn't they wouldn't get as much the following year - so they spend it all to make sure. They don't need it anyway - and it would save us money on council tax if they didn't waste it I just don't think they like the idea of not having monsy to spend on rubbish and back-pocket spending sprees..

Yes I know this rhys but, WHY should it be the roads who suffer every year?

Was in Edinburgh on Tue trying to deliver on the Royal Mile nothing but road works and having to detours that and more detours ending up in taking miles from where you want to go

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic