Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwindow washer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick o c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: window washer
    Posted: 26-March-2007 at 20:09

i have the intense window wash that never worked since i got the car, the bottle just remains full but when you press the button it washes the window out of the normal bottle, it doesent really matter but its nice to have everything working anyone any ideas

mick

mick
2001 530d steptronic
Sponsored Links

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 20:25

there must be a separate pump for this?  possibly not working?

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 20:45
Sorry, this doesn't help but I had the same problem on my 93 530 - the water worked but not the washer/soap stuff?

Anyone?
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 20:56
The pipe which runs from the window washer bottle to the nozzles can get blocked on the e39. To clean it out you need to remove the front drivers wheel, take out the wheel arch liner, then you'll get access to the pipe! Best left to a mechanic in my book!
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2007 at 10:00

Firstly, does your car have headlamp washers?  If so, then they only wash on every third (or something like that) use of the windscreen washers when the lights are turned on.  I may be mistaken, but I think the headlamp washers use a seperate resevoir so I'm wondering if you may be confusing the functions?

Following from, and linked to, JohnH's suggestion, the washer pump can also fail.  When I bought my 5 a few years ago the washers didn't work, a failed pump - I believe its reasonably common, there was no pumping sound when the stalk was pulled.  As John said, most of the working bits are under the wing and require the wheelarch liner to come off to get at the relevant bits.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2007 at 10:09

mick

i had that problem on the ordinary wash, looked under the bonnet and the capillary tube was either loose or disconnected from one of the jets and the water was taking the path of least resistance and just spilling. i now have the problem but havent bothered to check as the weather was to bad and no time with kids.

hth

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2007 at 10:11
how do you fill the intense washer bottle it seems that it has to be done by BMW/mechanic
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
mick o c View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick o c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2007 at 20:01

yes dergside it does have headlamp washers and i think you might be right maybe the small bottle is for the headlamps, i just persumed the small bottle was for the intense wash so you could put in a stronger solution

mick

mick
2001 530d steptronic
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2007 at 21:10

Mick

Have a look at the handbook to see how many times you need to activate the winscreen washer with the lights on for the headlight washer to activate, as far as I can recall its roughly 3.  Try it and then check if the lights are wet.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
mick o c View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick o c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2007 at 19:55
tried it turned on lights and it washed the lamps first time tried it again 7 or 8 times in a row and nothing, went back out 20 minutes later and it worked first time again cant check handbook dont have one
mick
2001 530d steptronic
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2007 at 20:02
Obviously time delayed then. Makes sense. Might have a shorter delay if the
wipers are going all the time.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2007 at 17:26
where do you get the refill for the intense wash tank?
Dave Ryle

nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 13:56
The intense wash tank is for the windscreen, the large reservoir is for both the windscreen and the headlamps which has two pumps. When you push in the stalk, into the steering column the intense wash comes on. I believe that the intense wash is just undiluted screen wash, it is on mine anyway. The headlamp was is time dependent and based on the number of times you use the normal windscreen wash. As long as the pump activates on the intense wash, obviously its a blockage of sorts.
E39 530d Touring

davec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2007 at 22:33

Can I clear a few things up ?

the headlamp washers activate every 5th go.  But you have to pull the stalk for about a second or so for it to register as a go ! ( if you know what I mean.

I doesn't mater how fast or slow the wipers are going ( or if there on at all)

When refilling the intense water bottle, just use undiulted washer fluid. ( NOT FAIRY LIQUID )

Hope this helps

daveandbruce.com
autoremap.com
accarsales.com
2001 E39 530d Sport Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic