Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked7.5 hours later...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.5 hours later...
    Posted: 31-March-2007 at 20:13
I am knackered. Absolutely and completely knackered.

If I close my eyes, I'll be gone in seconds.

It has been a long time since the 6 received what I'd consider to be a full, no bits missing, detail. The sort that you want to give you car every weekend, but simply don't have the time nor inclination to do. I've gone for mini-details of wash and polish one week, with wax applied the next, and even panel by panel details over a number of weeks. However, thats just putting off the inevitable requirement for any true petrolhead who takes pride in the look of their car.

So, today was the day.

I had moments when I nearly stopped at certain stages, but I persevered and don't think there is anything like that final feeling when you stand back and take a good look from various angle. Excellent! Very pleased with it.

Then again, I should be after doing this lot.....

1. Wash wheels (AG Alloy Wheel Cleaner)
2. Wash car (Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo)
3. Dry off wheels (Leather)
4. Dry off car (4 x Meguiars Water Magnets)

-then, panel by panel-

5. Apply Meguiars Stage I Paint Cleaner to all bodywork
6. Buff off
7. Apply Meguiars Stage II Polish to all bodywork
8. Buff off
9. Apply Autoglym Extra Gloss to all bodywork
10. Leave each panel for 30-60 mins for AG Extra Gloss to bond

-then-

11. Give a full all-round final buff before...

12. Apply Pinnacle Souveran to all bodywork panel by panel
13. Final buff

The incidentals of glass polishing, exhausts and tyre blacking all followed, with another last buff to get rid of any glass polish residue.

The results:

During the day I also tried a new Halford Luxury Wash Mitt that I'd bought a few weeks back. I'm surprised to find myself saying I found it as good as the Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt and it was probably even better in respect of the feel of it when washing. Longevity will be tested of course, but I've never been too impressed with the Megs Wash Mitts in terms of their lasting power. I'll report back on it.

More importantly though, I had introduced AG Extra Gloss into the process. I used to use this about 10 years ago. For some reason, and probably no specific one, I stopped using it when I last ran out. I bought more a couple of weeks back because I can recall a Titanium Silver E46 318i SE that I used to own having a fantastic shine through this stuff.

I also wanted something else to go under the Pinnacle Souveran as a harding last sealant because of the soft 4-6 week life of Pinnacle.

AG Extra Gloss is a breeze to apply (its like a water form almost) and you leave it to set/bond. It then buffs off without too much effort. I've got to say I'm delighted with the results. Even without the Pinnacle the car was gleaming, but I still applied it to get the full effect and beading.

The car has now been rolled back into the garage in the hope that tomorrow afternoon will brighten up as forecast and I can enjoy the car in its proper arena...blinging the country lanes of Northumberland up.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 20:17

hey coasting, the roof looks a bit dull

Nice work, total satisfaction achieved then..

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 20:21
I forgot to say I cleaned the roof and sealed it two weeks ago.  Just in time for the snow on Crois Ecosse.

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 20:59
The car looks great - good job and it's reflection-tastic! 

Might get meself some of that Halford's stuff
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 21:29
Good job you aint just bought a new Vauxhall (see thread somewhere about detailing )

Bet there were a few starlings watching intentively nearby - full after a good days feeding
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 21:37

Beautiful  job. Well worth the effort I'd say. The car looks fantastic. 

As I have said on other occasions on this forum, its nice to see people take pride in their cars and as you say when you stand back and look at the finished product you get a great feeling of satisfaction and achievement. Good stuff.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 22:42
Nice job will be doing the same myself in two weeks time when I can get use of my brothers new garage as my other car is down with him at the moment awaiting its big clean
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 22:48

Mind you, I used 3-4 metres of cotton polishing cloth doing that.

Oh, and two sponge applicators too.

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 22:52

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Good job you aint just bought a new Vauxhall (see thread somewhere about detailing )

Bet there were a few starlings watching intentively nearby - full after a good days feeding

Indeed, I've seen the VXR thread elsewhere Rhys.  Its rather, errm, devoted, itsn't it.

Paul Dalton does an amazing job, there is no doubt about that.  However, the lengths that guy has gone to on a new Astra VXR have left me undecided as to whether he is just odd, or very very odd.  Thats unfair, I know.

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2007 at 01:24

Looking good

That wash mit you bought

Is it a kind of grey with a rubber inside?

If it is bin it now and it causes nothing but wash lines all over your car

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2007 at 10:27
It is indeed grey - but I've got to say it didn't leave a single wash mark on the car.

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2007 at 14:43

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

It is indeed grey - but I've got to say it didn't leave a single wash mark on the car.

Not the first couple of times it wont,but it will

That mitt caused me nothing,but problems with my car

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv

Current:
116i Sport F20
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2007 at 18:36
Hmm, okay, well I'll watch out for it.

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2007 at 19:55

Hmm, okay, well I'll watch out for it.

No Worries,Just thought i would point it out as dont like to see it happen to others

Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
dynamize100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamize100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 16:25

I forgot to say I cleaned the roof and sealed it two weeks ago.  Just in time for the snow on Crois Ecosse.

Hi guys,

You said that you cleaned and sealed your roof. I own a Z3 with a roof that could do with some cleaning and sealing. What did you clean and seal it with? 

Thanks, Dave.

Ps. I wish I could get that kinda shine off my car, it's lookin' beautiful.

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 16:37

Autoglym Fabric Hood Cleaning and Sealing Kit.

You can buy them for about 23 in Halfords.

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 22:50

Good Job!!!!!!!   when done right like this, the finish is  awesome but as you say, its very very time consuming

Let The Good Times Roll
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2007 at 22:58

By the way, I've just changed from wash mitts altogether.

I've now bought a Zymol Sponge after it was recommended by Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail.  I'll report back on what I think once I've had a chance to try it out.

fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 07:16
Coasting, when you're applying the sealant to the roof, how do you prevent getting spray all over the glass/bodywork?

The only solution I've had is to apply it only sparingly to the roof edges.
Beating around the bush.
Bry535 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bry535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 08:22

Originally posted by fozzymandeus fozzymandeus wrote:

Coasting, when you're applying the sealant to the roof, how do you prevent getting spray all over the glass/bodywork?

The only solution I've had is to apply it only sparingly to the roof edges.

You could either mask up the surrounding area or decant the sealer into a suitable container and brush it on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic