Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAlternatives to the E39.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 17:01

Andrew,

There was a black e39 M5 in a garage close to me, I think 51plate (don't quote me). From memory, it was only about 19K (dunno if thats good or not)  I'm just about to leave and go and see if its still there for you., will post back here details.

Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 07:33
Sorry mate, went to the garage armed with camera etc but it was gone !!
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2007 at 19:36
2003-530i SE
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 08:28

Thanks guys.

An E39 M5 hmm I think I would be a bit scared owning one of them incase it turned out to mean Big Money Worries.  They are slightly out of my price range at the mo.

Ebay.  Something tells me not to buy a car over t'interweb.  Sure I would go and see it (esp as it is only down the road in Gourock, cheers Iain) but I would want to pay for it other that by Paypal but then again you would get a bit of come back. hmmm I dunno!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 09:08
Many ebay sellers just use ebay to advertise - they actually end the auction early once they get a good cash offer.

Bought my last three cars that way.
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 10:08

Ebay is ok as long as you ask plenty of question before bidding. If the car is not as described you are under no obligation to buy it.

Also at the end of the day would you worry about some bad feedback if when you saw the car you really didn't want it?

I bought mine of EBay and got it for about £1500 below book price

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 12:45

I don’t think there’s much difference between buying a car on ebay or through a newspaper advert.

If the car doesn’t measure up to the advert; oft you jolly well go!

In either case there’s always the problem of cash transfer, if the car exists!!  Hidden faults, falsified documents and the like.  In some ways ebay I would say is better as you can have a look and their history – both buying and selling.

Either way it pays to be wary and expect the unexpected.

And if the car breaks down after a couple of hours/days/weeks/months I don’t think it really matters where you acquired it from >>>> you're goosed!!

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
grahame34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahame34m5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Thanks guys.

An E39 M5 hmm I think I would be a bit scared owning one of them incase it turned out to mean Big Money Worries.  They are slightly out of my price range at the mo.

Ebay.  Something tells me not to buy a car over t'interweb.  Sure I would go and see it (esp as it is only down the road in Gourock, cheers Iain) but I would want to pay for it other that by Paypal but then again you would get a bit of come back. hmmm I dunno!

Andrew

Just noticed this thread. If you are thinking of an e38 then buy mine! - I'm moving aboard and don't really need it anymore, plus it can't be too far away from you (its on Piston heads at the moment).

08 e60 Alpina B5 S sold, please forgive me
03 e39 M5 sold
98 e38 728 Sport Individual dead
93 e34 M5 sold
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 13:10

Originally posted by grahame34m5 grahame34m5 wrote:

Just noticed this thread. If you are thinking of an e38 then buy mine! - I'm moving aboard and don't really need it anymore, plus it can't be too far away from you (its on Piston heads at the moment).

It would have two too few cylinders!  But thanks for the info.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by 523 iAN 523 iAN wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BMW-530I-SPORT-AUTO-BLACK_W0QQite mZ150111657021QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Why stick an M badge in the front grill. It looks like a zit. The steering wheel is not 2002 spec.

Mick
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 08:11
Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BMW-530I-SPORT-AUTO-BLACK_W0QQite mZ150111657021QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Why stick an M badge in the front grill. It looks like a zit. The steering wheel is not 2002 spec.

Mick

S'not as bad as this seller , got my hopes up yesterday on fleabay when I searched Scotland for a BMW 540i.  The mind boggles as to WHY?

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 08:45

Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

The steering wheel is not 2002 spec.

Tis the same wheel as my 2001 car (made Nov 2000) car has.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 13:34

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 13:39
It has been like that for a long time. Mind you Ebay is not the best place to sell your car either.
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 13:46

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Mind you Ebay is not the best place to sell your car either.

? why ?

ive bought and sold car's via ebay on and off for over 3yrs (about 8) and never once have i had a bad deal (either way) and ive had better response via ebay than i ever got from autotrader

ebay is just a way of advertising if your keen enough then you'll veiw first, just like on autotrader  

if folk spend there "hard earned" before looking then there asking to be ripped off .. i think

2003-530i SE
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 13:48
520 as a 540 look a like.... WHY. M5 look a like I can understand.... Just...

Mick
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 18:28

? why ?

and ive had better response via ebay than i ever got from autotrader

Because a significant number of cars never reach their reserve. Unless you have a very desirable car that's in at the moment or you are willing to let your car go for a bit less then I don't think it's that good. However it is an excellent place to buy a car especailly if anyone is daft enough to list without a reserve. Ebay is full of people after a bargain, not people wanting to pay top dollar.

Mind you a lot of problems people have with selling is due to stupid mistakes with listings.

IMO Autotrader is the biggest waste of money in the world. The only thing that you get from advertising with them is lots of calls from companies wanting to help you sell your car.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2007 at 16:37

Yeah I thought ebay was 'the place to buy second hand cars from' supposidly they sell more that Autotrader.

My dad got loads of grief when he sold my sisters car thru Autotrader.  He got calls from companies trying to sell him cars, help him sell the car and copmanies offering loans.  Not great which puts me off selling thru Autotrader even if I get a few more ££'s for the car rather than trade value esp from a main $tealer!

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 13:46
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Yeah I thought ebay was 'the place to buy second hand cars from' supposidly they sell more that Autotrader.

My dad got loads of grief when he sold my sisters car thru Autotrader.  He got calls from companies trying to sell him cars, help him sell the car and copmanies offering loans.  Not great which puts me off selling thru Autotrader even if I get a few more ££'s for the car rather than trade value esp from a main $tealer!

Andrew

I got that the last time when I sold my 518 through the local paper.  I think these leaches scan all the papers.  Although I've never tried Autotrader I don't think it's their fault or that they can be held responsible.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic