Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDriver development day..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver development day..
    Posted: 18-April-2007 at 10:32
Had a great day out yesterday with the M3 on the Driver Development Day at Prodrive.

I think the old girl knew what was coming though.

For a track novice like me it was money very well spent having an instructor giving me the confidence to really attack the corners, I must admit to being a bit nervous before we started, mainly due to my desire to keep the car in one piece.

However after the instructor had a few laps I was absolutely amazed what my own car was capable of. I have been around a track a few times in my previous Evo2 and been passenger in many cars, including Richard Baxters DTM and with Chris Wadsley in his Sport Evo, but certainly I have never driven any car like I did yesterday.

With every lap I grew that much more confident and the "fear" of stacking it disappeared.

There were sessions on the skid pan, a circle sprayed with water/oil and a straight section covered with basalt tiles and also kept wet where you could practice controlling a snaking car.

I also had sessions on the adverse handling" circuit, a really twisty short track that really got the adrenaline pumping as you want to really attack it.

I would really recommend this to anyone that could benefit from instruction.

Now, the car has (probably) never been driven like that and after the first 6 laps of the Tower Circuit, the petrol light came on, I thought thats stupid because I filled up the and before and track driving isn't THAT thirsty. We came in and I asked them to put in 35 litres and had a coffee. Went out again on the skiddy bits and there was a right old stink of petrol, petrol could be seen coming out the overflow. It seems there was still half a tank left in it before, so looks like the sender or whatever is playing up now.

On the way, stuck in traffic the temp went up to the last mark and down to the first a few times, the slow speed fan is now not working, the high speed one does though. I replaced the double switch in the thermostat housing last year, I hope the fan hasn't packed up.

All in all had a great day including some spirited laps in the back of a CSL. Cheers.
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Sponsored Links

Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 13:35

Sound like a very worthwhile experience - especially for individuals such as myself who are hankering after a 'ring pilgrimage !!

May I enquire as to the financial implications of such a day??

Cheers - Nick

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 14:10
sounds like a great day kevin.

hi nico! m3 back on the road yet?
Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 14:19

Hi mate,

She went into hospital on Monday - Much better than I could have hoped for: need only a new rear panel, bootlid and left light cluster.

As always, labour is the killer - Without painting it's gonna come in at just the right side on £2.5K Not including the panels and parts I sourced through work with the discount. Sounds like a lot but It had to be done properly to be worth doing at all.

I said I don't want it done at all unless it's going to be perfect/undetectable and he assured me he could do that....

I will post some durings and afters when I get the chance

So it won't be destined for the track, but don't worry Martin, I have other plans for that....!

Cheers

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 17:06
Nico

£295, plus wear on tyres from understeering too much when turning in too hard!
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 17:14
Originally posted by Nico G Nico G wrote:

Hi mate,

She went into hospital on Monday - Much better than I could have hoped for: need only a new rear panel, bootlid and left light cluster.

As always, labour is the killer - Without painting it's gonna come in at just the right side on £2.5K Not including the panels and parts I sourced through work with the discount. Sounds like a lot but It had to be done properly to be worth doing at all.

I said I don't want it done at all unless it's going to be perfect/undetectable and he assured me he could do that....

I will post some durings and afters when I get the chance

So it won't be destined for the track, but don't worry Martin, I have other plans for that....!

Cheers

Nico

let us in on the track plans then ?

Oops i went and got an E36 !
M3cK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 17:46
Sounds really good! I'm aiming to do a driving course this year so maybe.......

It's good to hear that you were 'nervous...and wanting to keep the car in one piece'.
Relating to this, my main question is: apart from tyre wear, how much 'abuse' do you reckon the car took? I haven't tracked my M3 (sad I know) and it's in standard road spec. It's well looked after but I don't want to give it a hernia , if you know what I mean!

Very tempting......

Did Martin go too? If so, lets have ya full report fella!
'89 E30 M3

Made in Munich
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 19:21
Yes Martin went, his car sounds fantastic at full chat.

He is a damn sight more experienced than me and enjoyed it. He is a firm believer in instruction.

Being nervous is a normal reaction to an unfamiliar situation, some may claim/ brag about never being nervous, thats just bolloc*s. It was really addictive.

Re abuse, I believe the car loved it, thats what it was built for. I can understand why people upgrade the brakes though, my pedal travelled quite a bit further in the afternoon as the fluid got hot. If I did more of this stuff I would fit other than standard pads and discs, and maybe upgrade calipers too to 4 pot stuff.

I think when you are learning you don't need to worry about power upgrades.
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2007 at 22:25

HI Kevin

Glad you enjoyed the day - I did say it is addictive

and I sense a start of something here :-)

I really wanted to get to know the limits in the wet and the two skid pans were excellent for this and with one instructor per two drivers it was very focused.

the adverse handling track is just over a mile long with more corners than you can shake a stick at - but bumpy - good exercise in car control and positioning - helps you understand the racing line

The track was very bumpy in places and my car with it's very hard suspension didnt like some parts of it - on the long right hander i could feel all four wheels bouncing in a sort of drift before hitting the smooth apex :-)

Also still got problems with my disks - even after skimming (and bedding in properly) as soon as they got hot they were all over the place again - bit the bullet today and ordered two new ones - its only money

Good course and would reccommend it to anyone starting out on track days

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 11:35
Martin,

It was bumpy in places, deliberately so, and I was glad to have relatively soft suspension as it rode over the bumps very well without crashing or feeling skittish.

The right hander where you aim at the middle of the Prodrive board was scary the first time as the instructor kept saying keep going, keep going before jumping hard on the brakes then off them to settle the car before turning in . After that putting the foot to the floor was such a great feeling coming out of the bend and drifting over to the far left before the next bend. What a rush.

Where next, Cadwell.....

texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 12:58

In the BMW yes but in the Lotus Elan Turbo I am going over to France to do abbeyville and Folembray the weekend of the 4th May

See you at Caddwell?

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 17:02

Sounds like you had a great day would love to give it a go myself someday but like you ( were at the begining) i'm a bit worried about breaking something

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 17:43

andy, see other post on help..

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=36882

Edited by thepits
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 18:12

Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

andy, see other post on help..

OOPS  Still that doesn't look to expensive does it , pretty good if that was the only casualty of the day

Probably a so & so to get to though

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 09:28

Kevin,

You up Cadwell Park on May 16? I've been asked to pop up as well to meet the 'old guard' and am doing my best to, depending on my future employment as it's very uncertain at the moment. Will only be spectating though

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
playo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2007 at 12:29

Glad you enjoyed!

I've been eyeing that same course at prodrive up, nice to know it's a worthwhile day out!!

'98 M3 evo conv'-Sold
'91 E30 M3'
Hoofty View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2007 at 13:20

Very interested in getting myself on this, but I couldn't find any details about it on the prodrive website - could someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks!

'89 E30 M3
'99 106 GTi
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2007 at 20:32
Hoofty

The web site is www.driverdp.com

Hoofty View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 18:55
Thanks Kevin, I'll have to book that up, sounds like an excellent day.
'89 E30 M3
'99 106 GTi
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2007 at 10:30
There was a photographer there taking some publicity shots, i am pleased to say there are a couple of great ones of my car so thats a good bonus.

You can see those taken here

www.damianharty.com/07019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic