Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZ3 Rear window fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamize100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z3 Rear window fitting
    Posted: 20-April-2007 at 14:48

Hi all I am new to this forum and to BMW's really. I had a brief spell with an E36 328i but it was just too big for me. I now own a 2.2 Z3 and I love it.

My back window however is hard to see out thru (Scratches & a small hole) and I am buying a new one tomorrow. The garage however want silly money to fit it. It suppost to just zip out and a new one zip in but before I go making my car windowless I would love to hear from anyone with some knowledge or experience in this area.

Thanks a mil,

Dave.

Ps. Sorry I have just realised that I should prob have this post up in the coupe section. I will post it up there now. Cheers again.

Edited by dynamize100
Sponsored Links

BMWConv99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMWConv99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 13:53

Hi Dave, Funnily enough I just replaced my back window for 318i conv last nite, I was a bit apprehesive about doing it myself but it was very easy. You will need someone with you to hold the new window in position as you zip it in..Heres a guide I used to do it..

http://www.bmw-convertible-window.com/NewBMWInstructions.htm

The only piece of advice I'd give is when zipping in the new window get your helper to hold it as tight in position as possible or you may end up with diagonal creases and have to do it all over again!

Good Luck

dynamize100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamize100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 14:55

Cheers for that. I went ahead and did it myself anyway.. It went well enough. I tried to use those clips and there were a pain. Eventually went with the needle and thread option myself.

I had to fit it 3 times before I eventually got rid of the lines.

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 23:05
looking to fit a rear glass myself how much is the glass to buy and does it come with new zipper and sealer or do i have to buy that seperatly?
e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
dynamize100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamize100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 10:24

My back window was cheaper than the window for the E36 I priced one of those for a friend also.

Anyway, right the plastic rear window for the Z3 was 203Euro from the main dealer (Ins company covered it - I paid they refunded) and he told me that it would be about 410Euro for the plastic back window for the E36 convetible.

The window kit comes complete with a zip sealent gum and some little clips to seal the start and end of the zip. I would like to reccommend that you keep the window in as straight a position as is possible before fitting it in. Throw those clips in the bin and when you have started the zip (use a needle and thread and) stich the beginning, finish the zipping and then stich the end also.

Good luck with it,

dave.

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 15:16

Thanks for that dave just waiting for the weather to brighten up a bit and i'll give it a go!!

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic