Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedK&N Air Filters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uoi1772 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K&N Air Filters
    Posted: 25-April-2007 at 00:15
Anybody used a K&N Air Filter? Never used one myself but interested to hear what anybody has to say about them. Notice any significant gains in power? I've read pros and cons about them. One pro is supposed to be about an average of 10-11 mores horses. One of the cons is there is supposed to be a lag in power, lower down the rev range!
Diesel Power
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 00:22
You may get a few horses but 10-11 is not going to happen. If yu use a cone filter/induction kit then make sure the air supply to it is separated from the main heated engine air.

I had a K&N panel finter in my E39 and gave no extra power but the extra bit of noise was nice.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 00:33
I used to have a Piper-X induction kit, made a nice noise also but not much else. Can also be an insurance problem - better check before fitting one as some companies won't touch them (Churchills wouldn't)

Need to be heat shielded as well as you can actually loose power through hot air entering the intake.

Panel filters might make a little difference and shouldn't affect the insurance.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Whats this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 08:21
As the guys say above, you'll need cold air to gain any advantage from a filter.

Have seen cone filters put on the older diesels (tds) to great effect... the sound is fantastic - great whistle off the turbo. People actually turn around to see what is making the noise.

We were looking into putting one on 02 e39 530d - but would need an adapter pipe to go from a wierd oval shape (to fit that engine) to a suitable diameter circular pipe (to fit the filter)... no joy! Don't know if your's will have the same oval fitting or not - but be sure you can get the adapter pipe before you splash out and buy a good filter.

Let us know how you get on.

Denis
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 09:08
I have used K&N on almost all my cars. As above, 10bhp is not going to happen on a normally asperated engine. I find fuel consumtion abit better and the car revs freer (spell)

Mick
Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Don520 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 10:07
I've read too many stories about these filters not offering the same quality of
filtering as standard filters. I'd sooner have the inside of my engine clean
than a bit noisier!
95 520iSE Auto (sadly missed)
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 10:12

I have a K&N filter on my car, had it a few year, having read this I would not buy one,

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

I doubt very much you will see any power gains, once it's gummed up you may see power loss. I'd save the money.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 12:51
I have reverted back to normal paper filters. I had a jetex filter that was really difficult to clean so it was never fully freeflowing. I now change the paper one every six months and can't detect any change in power.
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin_E30_318iS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 23:00
I have a K&N in the iS at the moment and don't notice any difference between it and the paper filters. I had it in the garage so decided to use it, but will probably go back to paper filters at the next service. They seem to be a good idea, but in reality the hassle of cleaning and re-oiling isn't worth it.
Kevin_1990_318iS
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2007 at 21:07

The K&N I put in my car 2months ago has made a difference.Its without a doubt, brought my lower end power up a notch.  I dont notice any more horses at the high end of the revs, but as i said, it made a HUGE difference low down.  I would say get one, ive had no poblems, and also a BMW troubleshooter I know told me it would do no harm to the car.  There also is more of a grunty noise, and when she revs high it does draw attention, but when driving normal, its nice and discreet.  I got mine on ebay, wannt cheal, think i paid about 70 inc post.  best of luck min what ever you decide.

I miss my m3.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic