Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedun wanted "roll feel"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: un wanted "roll feel"
    Posted: 05-May-2007 at 21:57

ive noticed this a couple of time's recently ... when i corner or on roundabout's i get a kind of slide'n (broad side'n) type feeling coming from the rear of my E39, it's lowered and running 18" wheel's. ive checked air presure, tyre wear, wheel bolt's and had a quick look at the suspension arm bushe's but all look's fine? also the shock's where replaced about 2 yrs ago (10K mile's ago)

anyone have any idea's as to what it may be, or what i should look at or check  over?

ive thought about going to a big empty car park and driving it hard just to see if the backend will slide out easier than it should!

2003-530i SE
Sponsored Links

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:36

FWIW, have you checked the bushes in the rear (control arms etc) thoroughly, as sometimes, during their early stages of wear, they can appear to be look OK but only play up when they are under the cars load.

Also, may be worth checking the rear tyres themselves to see if there are any signs of you having picked up anything slippery on them.

Let The Good Times Roll
fisherman View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 20:09
I've the same on my e34. it turns out to be the rear sub frame bushes, the large rubber mountings close to the body sill, another way to check them is to measure the distance from the front of the sill to the tyre, as a rough guide on the n/s of mine i got three fingers between the sill and tyre, on the o/s it was only two = knackered bushes, the distance should be equal{and more precise than a finger measure, but it shows that there is a problem} if you read my thread KNOCK ON REAR SUSPENSION there is good info from members, keith.

Edited by fisherman
Rob 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 07:51
These forums are great! I have an E39 and have just put 18" M Parallels on it. I almost lost it in the wet on a round about and was a bit concerned. It is good to know I'm not alone! I have replaced a number of items on the rear subframe but not all. I think I'll get my hands dirty this weekend.
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 08:17

Originally posted by Rob 1 Rob 1 wrote:

These forums are great! I have an E39 and have just put 18" M Parallels on it. I almost lost it in the wet on a round about and was a bit concerned. It is good to know I'm not alone! I have replaced a number of items on the rear subframe but not all. I think I'll get my hands dirty this weekend.

your "wee slip" may just have been down to greasey road's? .. nothing better than fresh rain on dry road's for a bit of tail-happy driving

i'm putting the feeling (i get through the rear of my car).. down to the tyre's, i think i may be pushing them and .. i'm feeling the car driving on the side-wall's!

2003-530i SE
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:25

E39 rear anti roll bar links! They wear out fairly quickly.

You only get about 40,000 miles from the genuine BMW ones (£40) and about 14,000 miles from non genuine ones from ECP which were about half the price of the BMW ones from Henry Bros.

I have fitted two pairs to my back end as I got stung with the cheap ones from ECP which only lasted a year then a year later I had to fit proper ones.

T'is an easy job to do yourself.

You need two trolley jacks to lift both rear wheels clear as you need to take the torsion out of the roll bar other wise you won't be able to work on the links and you also need two 16 mm open ended spanners.

You should also replace all four nuts on the links, two of each kind.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic