Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BMW planning takeover bid for Volvo!! & greenie issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW planning takeover bid for Volvo!! & greenie issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 21:32
In my opinion alot of Volvo customers differ from those of BMW. The S80 and 5 Series are bought by two totally different categories of people.
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 21:54
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

Seven years ago it suffered the embarrassment of massive financial losses when its venture with the Rover Group fell though in 1994,

Great cars though - eh Nigel?

So far I'm very very pleased with my 1.8 litre 75 conn.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 22:02

hmmm...BMW to BMVV namechange on the cards?

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 21:56
This is Gas after my last post regarding volvos.  I have to say, and take all the bad back regarding the s40.  After driving it now for 5 weeks, I LIKE IT.  lol.  Its great really, I now realise it has great handeling unlike i said before, and is a good car all around.  Only thing, is the 1.8 just isnt quick enough for me.  So, i guess a take over would be good for Volvo anyway, what i mean is, some BMW drivers might frown on it, being BMW drivers
I miss my m3.......
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 22:06

Originally posted by m3sport m3sport wrote:

I have to say, and take all the bad back regarding the S40.  After driving it now for 5 weeks, I LIKE IT.  lol.  Its great really, I now realise it has great handeling unlike i said before, and is a good car all around. 

hmmmmmm - I feel a ban coming on!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by m3sport m3sport wrote:

I have to say, and take all the bad back regarding the S40.  After driving it now for 5 weeks, I LIKE IT.  lol.  Its great really, I now realise it has great handeling unlike i said before, and is a good car all around. 

hmmmmmm - I feel a ban coming on!

You just keep your eye's peeled Simon, we don't want you being caught out by one of those fast Ford KA's

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 14:33

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

You just keep your eye's peeled Simon, we don't want you being caught out by one of those fast Ford KA's

or even an 'over?

p.s. you know what a KA convertable is called?

a KAC of course!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 13:31
Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

In my opinion alot of Volvo customers differ from those of BMW. The S80 and 5 Series are bought by two totally different categories of people.

Exactly. Volvo may give BMW a stepping stone into Merc/Jag territory. The Volvo range would be opulance and comfort orientated with BMW staying performance orientated. It would also give them bottom range up growth as I think the 1 series and Compacts have diluted BMW's image.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 14:32

In exactly what way has the 1series diluted the BMW image? I think it fits fine as a small rear wheel drive, driver oriented, car much in the 2002 style. Maybe the Xseries on the other hand...

The last Compact (E46) had the exact same driving dynamics as other E46's.

Larzyh.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:46

In that they have produced a cheaper car which will be accessible to more people i.e you reduce the exclusivity of the brand so making it less desirable to some people. I don't agree with that sentiment myself but doubtless some will.

The X type has done exactly the same for Jaguar, especially the 2.0 Diesel. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 18:59

BMW have alway produced reasonably priced cars, but with that certain "Driver's Car" ethos. The 1602 the E21 and the E30 were not particularly expensive cars. My issue with BMW is that it has become just another prestige brand. The 3series has become gradually larger and more expensive so the 1series makes sense in that context.

Larzyh.

Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostrils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 19:45
IIRC Ford own much if not all of volvo and its probably their way of finding more money to get them out of the hole they are in at the moment. The Ford Focus ST has the 5 cylinder Volvo engine which is why it sounds familiar to the older V70!
Volvo have come a long way in modern times and are certainly catching up with the competition. BMW could be using Volvo to concentrate on newer combustion engines with so-called Bio fuels, the swedes are good at all this environmental stuff!!
Phil
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 20:42
Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

BMW could be using Volvo to concentrate on newer
combustion engines with so-called Bio fuels, the swedes are good at all this
environmental stuff!!

That bio fuel is a scam. BMW's newer engines will now cut out in traffic and
automatically start again like a Prius and the ancillaries don't take power
from the engine unless they need it. This has led to very substantial gains in
efficiancy. This is the way forward. Anyone can make an engine run on
alcohol.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:23
Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>flyingalexf68</SPAN> flyingalexf68 wrote:

That bio fuel is a scam. BMW's newer engines will now cut out in traffic and
automatically start again like a Prius and the ancillaries don't take power
from the engine unless they need it. This has led to very substantial gains in
efficiancy. This is the way forward. Anyone can make an engine run on
alcohol.

Haha!! I'm sorry alex but that technology BMW are flogging at the moment is at least 15 years old. Sure the Golf Mk III had it!

Edited by thepits
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:36

IIRC Ford own much if not all of volvo and its probably their way of finding more money to get them out of the hole they are in at the moment. The Ford Focus ST has the 5 cylinder Volvo engine which is why it sounds familiar to the older V70!
Volvo have come a long way in modern times and are certainly catching up with the competition. BMW could be using Volvo to concentrate on newer combustion engines with so-called Bio fuels, the swedes are good at all this environmental stuff!!

It's amazing how the S40 T5 has the same chassis and the exact same engine as the Focus ST, but drives nothing like it!!

Biofuels aren't really revolutionary but they definitely make more sense than hybrids. I'm not into them really though, you would need to be wearing slippers and grow your own clothes to drive one!
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:39

ford own 50%.

with regard to the biofuels there is major concern that although they are "greener" to burn in the car the production produces more co2 and there is also a concern that the likes of corn crops are not meeting requirements which is pushing up prices, who will be able to afford them the motorist or the poor african. the production of palm oil produces 33million tonnes of co2 per acre of virgin land burned.

Edited by thepits
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:41

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

It's amazing how the S40 T5 has the same chassis and the exact same engine as the Focus ST, but drives nothing like it!!

Biofuels aren't really revolutionary but they definitely make more sense than hybrids. I'm not into them really though, you would need to be wearing slippers and grow your own clothes to drive one!

the biofuels produce more bhp than petrol. saab are producing a 300bhp 2 litre 100% biofuel engine. the production of hydrids and the disposal produces a hell of a lot more co2 than ordinary petrol engines.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 22:29
Don't forget the 1602 & 2002 weren't BMW's they were made by glass if I remember correctly.
Best Wishes

Nigel

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 07:50

As I see it, bio-fuel's main advantages are sustainability and the lessening dependancy on fossil fuel.

With regards to "poor africans", there never has been a shortage of food in the world and there probably never will be; the problem is inequitable distribution of resources and that is unlikely to change.

I am considering converting my car to run on bio fuel - get some farmers back to the land and stop lining the pockets of some very dubious regimes in the Middle East.

Larzyh.

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 07:56

Are we back to the whole "this car isn't a BMW because it is not made in Bayern in a factory with a BMW logo on it" debate?

I consider the X3 a BMW (even the motorcycles produced by Cagiva, I consider BMW's) and the 2002 is, for me, in many ways the quintessential BMW.

Larzyh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic