Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtowbar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick o c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: towbar
    Posted: 13-May-2007 at 19:45

im looking to put a towbar on the car, there was one fitted on it before because when you look under it the main part of the towbar is there but the actual tow hitch itself was taken off, theres two plates where the tow hitch bolts on with two holes in each of them, can i buy the hitch seperate or would i need to replace the whole thing the electrical socket is not there either and can they be bought seperate and connected up

thanks mick

mick
2001 530d steptronic
Sponsored Links

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 21:44
You should be able to buy them seperate. You might be able to fit a
removeable tow bar. (these slide in between the plates and just have a
locking pin) You can buy the sockets and wire them up but it might interfere
with the computer in the car. I'd try a BMW indy to see if they can fit them as
a main dealer would probably charge a small fortune to wire it up.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 04:17
I'm moving house soon, so i need mine for the horsebox, it's yours for a few bob after that. Wiring is all there too.
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 08:18

I doubt very much you will be able to buy separate components for a towbar.  You would need to know the exact make of the bracket to find a replacement part.

You need to make sure that the bracket that is bolted to the car is not a removable type and someone has just removed the removable bit.  Sometimes the removable bit gets kept in under the spare tyre in the boot.

You should be able to buy the electrical kit on line. 

www.towbarsdirect.co.uk

As stated above if it is not wired properly it will upset the cars ECU and it may think it has a blown bulb or something. In cars like the E39 the towbar electrics will be completely separate from the cars electrics.  Sure you connect into the cars lighting loom but all that does is then switch a relay on and off to supply power from the fuse box direct to the rear sockets and trailer.  Do not attempt to use the blue piggy back connectors to directly connect the wire from the trailer sockets on the towbar to the wiring loom of the car lights.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 10:13
Mick,

I had the exact same problem as you - couldn't find out who made the towbar on my 5. Went and bought a new Bosal towbar last week for €150.

Hope you get sorted.

Denis

Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 01:05

Mick if you head to CPL in Maynooth they sell separates.... otherwise it's off to the land of Bosal...

all you need then is a BMW trailer !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic