Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 15:50

the head gasket does several things.

it keeps the oil in the right bits, the water in the right bits, and the combustion in teh right place.

When peopel talk about head gasket failure, they normally mean that it's failing to keep the oil/water/combustion bits separate anymore.

It's possible for it to fail between an oil gallery and the outside edge of the gasket.  i.e. the oil can leak out, but all the other bits remain intact.  When this happens, everything works ok, but you have a leak.  (this can happen with water too).

Sponsored Links

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 15:57
Fair enough well explained. I did notice a little white goo stuck to the top of the inside of the upper sump when I changed the gasket and thought oh no! the head is possibly on its way out. This would appear to back that up. Anyway am going to give it a thorough clean tonight just to make double sure first!!
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 16:10
If it is the headgasket, and you have water and oil mixing then get it sorted sooner rather than later, before the overheating starts JMHO.

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 19:11
Just out of interest, the vertical facing hose on the idle valve, did have some oil in it, how can this be and what is the purpose of this hose?
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 20:30

This looks really bizarre, it appears that the oil is leaking from the wiring harness that runs along the side of the block containing the wiring for the oil pressure switch and oil temp switch.

Does anyone know if oil is supposed to travel along these because having moved the rubber boot aside, in amongst the wires is full of dirty oil. Presumably this should be dry as a bone??

What else travels along here that could contain oil?

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 22:21
Originally posted by kermitt kermitt wrote:

This looks really bizarre, it appears that the oil is leaking from the wiring harness that runs along the side of the block containing the wiring for the oil pressure switch and oil temp switch.

Does anyone know if oil is supposed to travel along these because having moved the rubber boot aside, in amongst the wires is full of dirty oil. Presumably this should be dry as a bone??

What else travels along here that could contain oil?

It should all be dry.

Just thinking out aloud, but if you had a small split or fracture of the pipes going to and from the oil cooler, that plumb into the oil filter housing then under pressure these may have the effect of spraying oil onto the side of the block giving the appearence that the leak is from the side of the block/head.

The only things carrying oil on that side are the pipes to/from oil cooler, filter housing and filter, oil seperator and ICV although this is more vapour than actual oil flow, then the block and head themselves.

Go over it all very carefully using talc as when the oil hit the talc it should show the origin of the leak, if the origin is from a solid piece such as the block then it's spraying up from somewhere.

lyndonbuck View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndonbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:44
My headgasket was leaking a lot of oil and the car was still running
perfectly, it was still difficult to see where it was coming from though as it
was ending up over large areas of the engine. Mind you I think a lot of S14
head gaskets weep a bit of oil don't they?
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 14:44

having talc'd the areas there is definately nothing coming from the cylinder head itself.

However I think it may be possible that the hose at the rear of the cylinder head to the oil seperator may be leaking and where it is leaking onto is the wiring harness underneath just where it begins to travel horizontally along the block.

I have a gathering of oil on the block underneath the rubber boot on the harness which has cracks and tears in it. This is then dripping down behind the starter motor.

Also it would appear that the oil must be travelling along the harness and exiting where the wires all breakout as there is another gathering of oil on the bracket which holds the ICV to the block just below the mounting nuts.

This I beleive is then dripping from the bracket down on to the block. This is where there is a major mess noticeable. Unfortunately I do not have a camera to take pictures with.

If I take the relevant hoses is there a way to test them for leaks so I can find out the culprit?

Could I run water from a hose through them?

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 14:44
Obviously remove them first meant to add.
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 15:27

Having now removed the top hose I noticed the seperator was full of white goo so have cleaned this and the hoses out also. Weird thing was I was sure I could smell petrol. Funny thing was though having visually checked the hoses there were no cracks apparent.

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 09:35

Here is a thought, could there be oil travelling up the wire under pressure from the oil pressure sensor itself.

There is a noticeable amount of oil inside the electrical connection itself.

If I am right then this would explain how I am finding oil in the wiring harness at the two points, first where all the individual wires break out near the front of the block and second where the crack is in the rubber boot before it dissappears under the scuttle.

Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 10:34
Reading this post i noticed you had white goo in your sump when you changed the gaskets. I have just changed my sump gaskets and noticed the same white goo in the sump. Possibly an S14 trait? I have experienced the rocker cover breather splitting and leaking oil everywhere.
E30 M3's never die
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 10:51

i thought that perhaps the breather hose could have been at fault due to the location, however it was fine and dry with no evidence of oil. Needless to say. I cleaned these out thoroughly with fast running water and some WD40 and they have been left to dry for a couple of days now (same with the seperator).

Maybe its just due to age and perhaps some water vapour getting into the breather hose and working its way down..

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 12:10

Just found this too and it backs me up!

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/e30-m3/54903-s14-oil-pressure- switch.html

can anyone share of similar experience?

have just purchased a new one from my local factors, gonna sort this one out tonight hopefully.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 14:37
Originally posted by kermitt kermitt wrote:

Just found this too and it backs me up!

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/e30-m3/54903-s14-oil-pressure- switch.html

Thought you'd already done that, 12th post page one?

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 15:06

Upon recollection, yes but it was only the temp. sensor I had changed, a good while ago now though.

I could not rememeber which was which before as the sketch from real OEM does not show both sensors at their locations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic