Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 body rust-help please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 318isE30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 body rust-help please?
    Posted: 16-May-2007 at 18:57

I've been debating about getting another E30 however the one i'm looking at has to small rust problems...its a UK car. Rust is in one of the front wheelarches and there is also corrosion at the bottom of the drivers door. It appears to be only surface rust but was wondering if one of you guys could give me a guide price to get this repaired?

And maybe recommend a good body shop?

Really appreciate this, hopefully I'll be able to keep it in my budget!

Sponsored Links

73touring View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73touring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 19:32
If the rust it isolated to those spots then Id look around for second hand pannels in the same colour over here, Kinsellas or the like get E30's in regularly save you trying to match colours if you were to paint, Id check the inside of the rear arches for rust though as they like to rust in there and the bottom of the windscreen for previous repairs(Rust never sleeps!). Spurious new wings are cheap but the fit is questionable. 

Edited by 73touring
Now
1973 BMW 2002 Touring (Algea)
1994 BMW 525i Sport

Previously
1975 BMW 2002tii
1990 BMW 318i
1990 BMW 320i
318isE30 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 318isE30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 22:49

thanks 73touring but where is Kinsellas?

I've thought about getting a donor wing and door but the problem is the colour. It's a light blue/sky blue which no doubt would be difficult to find. How much do you reckon it would cost to have 2 such panels painted to match the car?

JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 23:20
To get it done right you'd need the wing, the door and also part of the rear door done. At a guess I'd say you're looking at 750 to get it done right.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 23:59
Better have a look in other places as well, I'm sure there's a list somewhere if you do a search. Bottom of door sounds like a water trap inside (drain holes blocked) probably find its rotten from the inside. Have a look in the boot as well, rear light seals can go. Having had an E30 that was upto it's wing mirrors in a flood and then left sitting for several months before rescuing it - I found rot and rust nearly everywhere. (car got scrapped a year later as it fell apart even after several weeks worth of welding and bodywork)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
73touring View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73touring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 00:01
Kinsellas is opposite the red cow on the Naas Road and getting the panels in the right colour is everything. Phone around or wait around and  you can cut your costs from 750 to 75 euros! The light Blue is a problem seeing as it was only available for two years but having said that there were a whole lot of e30's made. check out ebay.de.... Also check out Traynors? (Sorry cant spell for the life of me!) in the north. If your particular about the colour and the car is otherwise perfect id contemplate painting the whole car but to get the whole car perfectly matched is going to cost a s$^t load more then 750 quid but then again im then very particular since I had my 2002 touring sprayed
Now
1973 BMW 2002 Touring (Algea)
1994 BMW 525i Sport

Previously
1975 BMW 2002tii
1990 BMW 318i
1990 BMW 320i
318isE30 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 318isE30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 14:28
Thanks for the advice lads, will take a chance and see how it go's!
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 14:48
What colour is the car?

Some colours will be alot easier to match a second hand panel to than others... silver will often look very obvious for example...

Beating around the bush.
318isE30 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 318isE30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 16:01
fozzy, the colour is glacier blue to be exact. Looks very distinctive but probably tricky to find panels in this colour! either way nothing to loose but my dignity...and my bank balance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic